Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'02 S60 Throttle Body (ETM) symptoms & replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 09:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 S60 Throttle Body (ETM) symptoms & replacement

Just going to pass this along so it may save others some time.
I'm a 35 yr old licensed aircraft mechanic, and have done my own repair work on my vehicles since I was 16. I love my Volvo, but due to all the electrical (fly-by-wire) I find myself at the mercy of the Volvo dealership for major issues.

I bought a 2002 Volvo S60 2.4L (non-turbo) a year ago w/ 37k miles on it. It has around 52k now, and started having it's 1st issue. Maybe 2-3 times a week when I would start the engine and the RPM would drop to about 700 (normally starts at 1,100-1,200), but not skip/sputter. It was running smoothly. I'd press the gas pedal, and nothing would happen... RPM/motor would not rev up, although it would go into gear and roll due to the torque. I would turn the ignition off, restart the car, and it would be fine. No check engine light, no message on the dash computer, no codes available when I took it to the import car mechanic when they plugged it up to run diagnostics.

I immediately assumed the throttle body was bad due to what I've seen on these forums about the 2002's. I decided to exhaust all means before I bought a $650 part from Volvo that they would have to "computer update" for another $200, so I cleaned the mass air flow sensor w/ MAF cleaner (which didn't look dirty), removed the ETM itself and cleaned it w/ throttle body cleaner. I noticed the ETM wasn't that dirty either although it did have a small amount of residue in it. I reinstalled it w/ a new gasket, but a couple days later the problem was still there...

So reluctantly called the dealership in Winston Salem. The service rep explained that when they plugged it up to their computers to run diagnostics they could read all sensors/computers even if the normal systems the other mechanics used did not pick any codes up. I took it there, and after about 10 minutes sure enough the ETM was bad. Parts and labor was $903.

Even though it took me 10 mins for me to remove/replace the ETM myself, they have to update the system in the car for the new part (supposedly) so I let them do it.

Hope this might help save someone else some time if they incur the same issue.