Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

02 sunroof problems - intermittent open/close after start

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 sunroof problems - intermittent open/close after start

I recently bought a used 02 S60 T5. The problem started last night when I went out to go to a friend's house.

I am positive the sunroof was closed when I started the car because I hadn't driven the car all day. I stopped off at gas station to get something to drink. When I came out, I noticed that my sunroof was tilted up. I hadn't touched the controls at all since it was just a 5 minute drive to the gas station.

I started the car and played with the sunroof controls. The sunroof didn't budge but I could hear the motor seem like it was trying to move the sunroof. An occasional thud every now and then. I went to my friend's house and tried turning the key to the I and II positions several times to see if the sunroof would move. It didn't.

Since there was no threat of rain, I wasn't worried too much. Went inside, came out an hour later and tried again. This time, the sunroof closed and wouldn't tilt up. I pull the switch to tilt down and it continued to tilt down and opened completely. It wouldn't close. So I waited another hour and came back out to try again. It still would not close.

I went home around 2 in the morning and tried several times with the key in various positions (I, II, starting the car) and the sunroof would not budge. I even checked the fuse and it's not blown. Around 3 in the morning, I gave up and left the car locked with the sunroof open.

I woke up this morning at 9 and started the car and the sunroof worked fine. Tilted up, down, opened, closed - did everything it was supposed to do. Went through the sunroof's full range of motion several times. I closed the sunroof and drove around the block. As I am about to turn the car off, I check the sunroof again and again, it will not budge.

I am wondering if this has anything to do with the fact that I had left the parking lights on for several hours earlier in the week. On my previous cars, if you had left any lights on when you open the door, a chime can be heard, similar to if you leave your keys in the ignition with the door open. Apparently, the S60 doesn't have that when you have just your parking lights on. The parking lights were on for several hours and I noticed that when I locked the doors, the signal lights wouldn't come on.

They started working again last night when I was locking and unlocking the doors to see if that would help the sunroof problem.

Perhaps something with the software got screwed up when I left the parking lots on and drained the battery a little? Enough to make the sunroof work only sometimes?

Old 10-21-2006, 02:04 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: 02 sunroof problems - intermittent open/close after start

If the battery dies or gets really weak it will mess up the sunroof.
Usually locking and unlocking the car with the key/remote will reactivate the system.

Old 10-21-2006, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went outside again to test the sunroof.

If I have the key in the I or II position before starting the car, the sunroof has full range of motion.

As soon as I start the car, the sunroof dies. I took a drive around the block and even after shutting the car off, the sunroof again will not work at all.

I tried locking and unlocking the car with the remote but it still will not work.

Old 10-21-2006, 04:14 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Maybe a sunroof Software problem.