Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

2004 S60 gas tank replacement: mechanic error

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 06:39 PM
thd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2004 S60 gas tank replacement: mechanic error

Hi everyone,

I have a bit of an unfortunate situation, and I would really appreciate some educated input. I have and adore my 2004 S60, but my mechanic would say otherwise. The car was throwing a P0456 (small evap leak) intermittently, so we replaced various parts of the evap system (once a week for over a month). What finally seemed to work was installing a new fill limit vent valve. Hurrah!

Somewhere along the line, though, the mechanic decided to install a used gas tank "for free." Why, he never said. Since then, I've had gas dripping, sometimes pouring, out from underneath the car. I took it to him twice to check on the new leak, and he swears that he puts gas into the car and there's no leak: no charge. Then I take the car to the gas station, put a gallon or two in it, check underneath, and sure enough, drip drip drip (and one time even a stream). Still, he swears, nothing.

So I take it to the dealership mechanic, who reports this: the gas tank, connector (whatever it's called), and fuel filler neck were all one part (a California emissions thing, he says). My mechanic cut off the part connecting the fuel filler neck and the gas tank and replaced it with a rubber hose. The hose connections are leaking like crazy. It'll cost $4,700 to replace the one-piece tank-connector-fuel filler neck.

So, back to the old mechanic. He "fixes it," and we do the old dance again: the thing still leaks. He'll install a new unit, but I'll have to pay $2500 for it.

Other than the issue of business ethics (he broke it, why won't he pay to fix it?!), my question is this: do I really need to buy this one-piece unit, or could the mechanic simply use a new Volvo S60 tank, connector, and fuel filler neck as is the case on other S60s? That is, is this one-piece unit my only option?

I'm going crazy with this car to the point of absolutely hating my life. It is seriously making me miserable. Any advice is appreciated!

Old 10-15-2014, 06:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all there was no reason to change the tank regardless if it was free. Second (like you said) you don't have to pay for anything because the mechanic that touched it in the first place obviously did something wrong. What I suggest is get him to pay the dealership to fix it to the way it came from the factory.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:10 PM
thd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, damien360, I wish! But my mechanic refuses to foot the bill other than labor despite its being his mistake. Other than getting a lawyer, which I can't afford, there's no way for me to try making him pay for it.

Since I have a California model S60 but don't live in California, do I still need to use these significantly more expensive parts? Is there an aftermarket alternative? Or could I use the non-California fuel tank and parts?