Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

2015 door lock ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 07:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 door lock ?

The keyless system on our car is pretty useless as it only works maybe 50% of the time, both for starting the car and for locking/unlocking the doors. It is going to the dealer who will hopefully finally straighten this out after having been told by a different dealer that it was working normally.
My question is if you should be able to lock the doors using the buttons on the doors? I realize you can't do it if there is a key in the car but with our car, you can only lock the doors with the fob. Is this normal or should I bring this up with the dealer?

Old 06-30-2016, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by mainesail
The keyless system on our car is pretty useless as it only works maybe 50% of the time, both for starting the car and for locking/unlocking the doors. It is going to the dealer who will hopefully finally straighten this out after having been told by a different dealer that it was working normally.
My question is if you should be able to lock the doors using the buttons on the doors? I realize you can't do it if there is a key in the car but with our car, you can only lock the doors with the fob. Is this normal or should I bring this up with the dealer?
Maybe you need to be more specific in what you're doing and what you're seeing. Yes: the lock/unlock button on the door should lock and unlock the doors.

Are you using the button
- while the car is running?
- while the car is in motion?

I use my buttons when the car is not running and not in motion, and have never had an issue (but I have a 2013, not a 2015). I don't see why the location of the key should matter, but I can try that out on my car and see if it makes a difference.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:35 AM

Engine and ignition off. Door open and as soon as you hit the lock button, it immediately unlocks.
You can't lock the doors on our Camry if there is a key inside which is why I mentioned that.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:01 AM

Engine and ignition off. Door open and as soon as you hit the lock button, it immediately unlocks.
You can't lock the doors on our Camry if there is a key inside which is why I mentioned that.
My car has the same behavior.

I see in the owner's manual that if you use this sequence:
open driver's door
hit lock button
close driver's door
that the locks should then engage and the alarm should be set.

That sequence does not get the door to lock on my car. I'm not sure if this is a mistake in configuration or an intentional deviation from the documentation.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:57 PM

I took it in today and wouldn't you know, it was on its best behavior. i can't blame the dealer if they can't replicate the problem but it was frustrating to waste 3 hours of my life to get nothing accomplished. I've told the car to perform an unnatural act upon itself many times and yet it picks a trip to the dealer to do what it's suppose to do.
I was only 1 for 4 on my list. The clock has to be reset by a couple of minutes a week which they couldn't fix. Heck, your basic Walmart $5 alarm clock keeps time so you would think the Volvo clock could do the same.
You can't fill up the coolant reservoir to the top without it overflowing onto the garage floor. Not the end of the world but frustrating.
The only thing that might have been fixed was the refusal of the transmission to shift until over 3,000 rpm when the engine is cold and the outside temperature is below 25 degrees. They updated the transmission software so we'll see.
I did test drive a new XC90 and was it a dream.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:02 AM

So, you got the car to lock the doors on exit by hitting the lock button?

Did you do anything differently?

Old 07-07-2016, 06:22 PM

After performing as it should yesterday at the dealer, now the car can't be locked at all. Neither fob works, pressing on the door sensors doesn't work and the door buttons lock but then immediately unlock.
I sympathize with the technician if he can't duplicate the problem but I wasted 5 hours of my life yesterday and am seemingly no closer a solution.
On a cheerier note, while I was killing time, I test drove a new XC90. All I can say is what a dream it is.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:17 PM

What fault codes did they pull from the car? Doing what you are explaining there HAD to have been codes set. There is NO way there weren't any codes set.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:51 AM

If there were any codes, no mention was made of them. I talked to the service advisor this morning and told him of the situation. He and I had locked and unlocked the car a number of times after the tech said he couldn't duplicate the problem. I told him this morning that either I was hallucinating and had only imagined the locks working correctly the other day or that the car was possessed.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:03 PM

Mystery solved, at least temporarily. The lift gate wasn't closed so at the moment, it's locking and locking as it should, with the exception of the door buttons.
It remains to be seen how long it will last.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:09 AM
Thumbs up

Mystery solved, at least temporarily. The lift gate wasn't closed so at the moment, it's locking and locking as it should, with the exception of the door buttons.
It remains to be seen how long it will last.
That's why the audible lock confirmation is good. If it doesn't beep the something isn't closed.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:24 PM

Had my 2015 v60 in twice for a similar problem. Initially they replaced each doors locking something or other but that didnt fix it. Second time in they needed to replace a bad reciever. Works fine now.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:32 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we've had to change the control unit or receiver on these cars a couple of times (#1 & #3 on the attached pdf)

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
VIDA Print.pdf (126.8 KB, 986 views)
Old 07-21-2016, 02:43 PM

I'm going to take it back Monday in the hopes that it will malfunction while it's there. I still can't ever lock the car with the door buttons and the keyless function still only works half the time, if that.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:39 PM

Well, I had a most interesting trip to the dealer today and I learned some things.
When the service advisor came back out, he first demonstrated that the locks did not work. Then he put his phone on the roof and the locks worked. He said that the system is very sensitive to interference from the phone. I said that's all well and good but most of the time, my wife has the phone.
He then tried it again with the phone still on the roof and the system failed. At the point, the technician came out to watch for himself and said that what was so strange is that there no faults stored.
They are going to call Volvo to get some direction.
The other thing I learned is that, by design, the lock/unlock buttons on the door can only be used when inside the car and the doors closed.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:36 AM

Call the dealer and ask if they have tested the antenna reception.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:06 PM

The other thing I learned is that, by design, the lock/unlock buttons on the door can only be used when inside the car and the doors closed.
I don't think the owner's manual describes that... it's definitely the way my 2013 works, but I have to wonder if that's actually a design flaw (as opposed to the manual just being wrong).

Old 08-04-2016, 03:30 PM

Crossing my fingers but it appears to be fixed. After I told them about the message "key not detected" while we were driving, that helped them zero in on the problem.
On some of the early models, the key detection module was defective and there was a service bulletin for it(TJ26520). The hard part for the dealer was that it couldn't always be duplicated and no codes were set. My hats off to the dealer for persevering and getting it fixed.

Old 08-05-2016, 03:41 PM

Crossing my fingers but it appears to be fixed. After I told them about the message "key not detected" while we were driving, that helped them zero in on the problem.
On some of the early models, the key detection module was defective and there was a service bulletin for it(TJ26520). The hard part for the dealer was that it couldn't always be duplicated and no codes were set. My hats off to the dealer for persevering and getting it fixed.
Glad to hear that you may have possibly gotten your car fixed, but I hate to bust bubbles. It that TJ has to do with the door handle antennas and not any key detection module. It actually refers to corrosion in the connector and cabling. This should have been one of the first things the technician should have checked since this TJ is only two years old

Again glad to hear that it's working.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:55 PM

They did mention that they took apart the driver's door handle to check all of the connections. I'm assuming that the TJ is what pointed them there as a starting point. There is also a mention of TJ27316 so I'm guessing that's the one that got the job done.

Quick Reply: 2015 door lock ?