Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2005 S60 AWD Transmission & ABS problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 S60 AWD Transmission & ABS problem

Hello, Last weekend I replaced front and rear rotters and brake pads on my daughter 2005 S60 AWD which it has 160K miles.
During the road test I noticed a bit of grinding and noise coming from wheels, since I didn't know the exact source of grinding/noise, I raised the car
completely, started the engine, and then put the transmission in Drive. Running the engine at ~1500rpm for about 2-3 minute with applying brake kind of gently, the noise was almost gone. I thought maybe the new brake pads and rotters needed to be wear evenly. I took the car for another spin, needles to say after 1000 feet of slow driving there was a minor clunk and then the car stopped while still in Drive. It didn't matter how much I pressed the gas peddle, the car would not move at all, as if it was in the Park. I tried again and again by putting the car in Reverse or Drive, but it would not move the car. Since I was only 1000 feet away from my driveway I hooked the S60 to my 4Runner to be pulled. It was a very difficult pull almost as if the wheels were locked by brake mechanism. Now I have the car raised above the ground, when I put the car in the Drive mode it spin the front wheels but with lots of harsh grinding, if I try to use the brake to stop the front wheels from spinning the ABS kicks in very violently, the brake peddle moves almost up and down very fast, full inch under my foot, which not much of braking action applied to the spinning wheels. It takes about 1-2 minutes eventually the transmission while still in the Drive, dis-engages from spinning the wheels, as if the car would have been in Natural or Park. I can put the car in the Park and back to Drive with grinding noise and after 1-2 minutes transmission dis-engagement. Is there some kind of overwrite by TCM to dis-engage the transmission?
I know it sounds crazy, and so far I have not been able to find much of write up on the similar case. I believe that there is a major problem with transmission but what's the deal with the ABS to kick in like that, did I messed up the ABS function during the rotters installation?
At this point I'm not even replacing the transmission would have solve all this symptoms. Any suggestion as far as replacing the transmission with a used one (there are quite few on ebay). After the transmission replacement does it have to be re-programmed by dealer?
Sorry for the long and lengthily description. Many thanks in advance. Eric

Last edited by efmandi; 09-05-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:03 AM

It's spelled Brake Rotor, not rotters.

Jacking the car up and running it in gear can cause the car to freak out. There is a special procedure for doing this.

The ABS and AWD are tied closely together with TRACS system.

It uses the brakes to move torque left/right. Its also using the ABS sensors to detect wheel speed.

Its possible you messed up one of the ABS sensors but that doesnt explain the clunking.

More likely its either the Angle Gear or Rear Differential is kaput and binding up. Both are relatively cheap (around 200 used) and much easier to replace than a transmission.

I doubt its the transmission.

These cars are very picky about tire size, tread pattern and wear percentage, all four should be same tires and similar tread wear %. Also they arent designed to be flat towed more than 50 miles as the manual states, otherwise this can cause premature drivetrain failure.

Most people neglect to change the fluid in the angle gear and rear differential. They are notorious for seeping or leaking and then the internal gears overheat and basically shatter into pieces. I know because I've replaced one before.

Judging by your gung-ho-drag-it-down-the-street-with-my-4runner mechanic skills, it might be better to have it flat-bedded to a real mechanic.

Last edited by Racer_S; 09-07-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:05 PM

Racer_S,
Thank you so much for taking time correcting and advising me with my problem
I overhauled the angle gear and replaced the coupling last year, as it was bad. Does the shaft transferring the power from transmission to the angle gear still works even if the AWD fuse has been removed?
Is there an overwrite from TCM (or else where) to dis-engage the transmission power, even when it's in Drive or Reverse?
I will try to isolate the clunking to angle gear, rear diff,....
Again thanks a lot Sir!

Old 09-07-2013, 03:12 PM

The angle gear is always engaged, only the rear differential has a clutch.

Try jacking up just one of the front wheels, put car in neutral (not running) and spin wheel by hand, you should see the propshaft spinning too. Try the same with the other side.

The wheels should be turning freely along with propshaft.

Not aware of any overrides, you could poke around in VIDA/DICE but i wouldnt try to manually set anything, only reset adaptation.

If the engine is just revving up in drive, like slipping, then you may have transmission valve-body issues.

If it sounds like drive is engaging but it is under heavy load, then the angle gear may be binding up or something binding inside the transmission.

Its also possible one of the axles have popped out of the gearbox and stripped teeth from improper installation.. (failure to lock circlip) But this wouldnt explain the problem with it being hard to move.

Last edited by Racer_S; 09-07-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:43 PM

I will follow your suggestions on pin pointing the actual problem tomorrow.
Have a great Sunday. I will keep you posted.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:14 PM

Racer_S,
I just took the angle gear housing out of the car. As you suspected, it was full of metal shaving and it gets bind time to time.
With the angle gear assembly being removed, if I removed the rear drive shaft can I drive the car just FWD vehicle till I find me a new set.
If so:
1- With the angle gear housing being removed, still the coupling is attached to the transmission what's the probability of it coming lose over the passenger side axle?
2- Do I need to find some sort of seal to over the passenger side axle into the transmission?
Many thanks in advance.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:55 AM

Ive seen in the R forums and the old S70's they used some zipties to seal the transmission. Not sure how it works. You'd also have to pull the DEM fuse. Still have to make sure good fluid is in that rear diff. Youll need a syphon to get the old stuff out. A refill should be around $15.

You should be able to get an angle gear shipped to your house while it sits on stands. From car-part.com or ebay. If you are having a hard time finding one.

Last edited by Racer_S; 09-12-2013 at 07:03 AM.