Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Adding Geartronic Floor Shifter to Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 03:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Geartronic Floor Shifter to Automatic

Greetings, once again.

Just curious; is it possible (with the needed bezel) to add a geartronic floor shifter to a base automatic S60? Is the geartronic function stored inside the floor shifter, or in some other component needed?

While looking at some parts on eBay, I ran into floor shifters, and wondered this.

Thanks, as always.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

The trans and TCM are different.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T
The trans and TCM are different.
Ah, okay. I thought there were only two types of automatics across all 2000-2009 S60 transmissions, or at least the 2001-2003 models; the AW-50-51sn FWD, and the AW-55-51sn AWD.

I figured if the TCM (or other needed component I originally imagined) was swapped along with the floor shifter, it would work.

I find this interesting, though. Thanks for your input!

Last edited by SuperMario811; 09-09-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:23 AM

I've seen it done on the UK forums on a V70 T5, he said he swap the TCM from a geartronic too. But I dont think thats possible without programming/reload aswell?

Also the transmission part numbers and year should match from donor vehicle, like i don't think it would work with the base model NA S60 ... maybe.

Other have done the swap and it worked going into drive, but when switched over to manual there was a message about "manual shifting reduced" and it did not function.

Also there was "transmission service required" message after TCM swap. Which I believe you can clear from a bootleg DICE unit.

If all that doesn't work then,

I heard that the CEM can be an issue too, apparently there is some obscure company out there that can fix this for a generous fee.

The only tuning company that does it I know of is MTE, but its rather pricey at over $800.
Then this contradicts that.
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...eartronic-swap

Hi there.

I've sold my car about a year back... and nope... never got it to work even after some discussions with Marco from MTE and Jan from Wothrline.

Marco:
But what I have found out is:-
1. A GT car and standard auto trans car is the same in terms of hardware EXCEPT the GT shifter. Everything else is the same.
2. So it would make sense that the only other difference is software.
3. I have tried swapping in a GT shifter and leaving all else untouched, and the car gives an error message and displays "Reduced transmission functionality" (or something along that line), and a CEL pops up. Restarted the car and the CEL and error message is gone. Car functions normally but as the GT shifter has only a D mode, I cannot manually downshift the car due to restricted shift travel. Also appears that the car knows it has a GT shifter attached but cannot fully use it.
4. Tried replacing the TCM with a TCM from a GT T5. Nothing really happens. Car functions normally but still w/o GT.

Accordinly to Marco, he was under the impression that GT and non GT cars are identical except the shifter. So he's not sure why it won't work. Jan thinks you the GT capability is only inherent in T5 cars and not available for 2.0T light pressure cars which I own. I have also read on some UK forum where someone was able to just swap the shifter and TCM in his T5 and it works after a CEL reset. So it does seem like it is possible.
I researched doing this for my S80 AWD

Last edited by Racer_S; 09-12-2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I did some more digging and the trans might actually be the same. But there are many different transmission part numbers, so I couldn't say for sure.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:22 AM

Thank you very much! This was super helpful!

Originally, I wanted to add GT and maybe another 30-50HP to Jody, but now, I really changed my mind about it after finding out you cannot upgrade a B5244S power plant beyond ECU and intake/exhaust, which may add something like 8HP for like $1K---no thanks.

Oh, well. I guess I'll have to wait until I get a Mitsubishi Mirage as my toy car, and upgrade that over some time. That way, I can still use Jody as my daily, and keep her runnin'.