Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Any Flame Trap replacement guide?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 10:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Flame Trap replacement guide?

I'm researching replacing the flame trap for a 2005 S60 2.5T. IPDUSA has a kit, but I can't find a tutorial. Any advice/suggestions are welcomed.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:41 AM

Check with the parts counter at Volvo of Dallas. They were a great help in figuring out what I needed and how to do it myself. I have an 02 S60 Non-turbo. Basically, you will need to: disconnect battery, remove plastic shrouds on top of engine, bleed pressure from fuel line at valve on end of fuel rail, disconnect fuel line, remove fuel rail from intake manifold (have seen others say that you don't have to, but I did so as not to damage it. Be carefull not lose o-rings on injectors), disconnect vacum lines from intake manifold, remove bolt from oil dipstick attachment at manifold, remove bolt from underside of manifold support bracket (you can reach it with a long straight extension from under the car), disonnect pcv tube from top of cylinder head next to oil filler cap (I had to cut off the factory hose clamps at all hose locations and replace them), before removing intake, clean off any dirt or debris around the manifold to head connection, remove air intake tube between throttle body and filter box, remove throttle body (the electrical connection is down next to the starter on the frame.), loosen bottom row of intake bolts (bottom of manifold is slotted so you don't have to take them all the way out), remove top row of intake bolts, remove intake manifold (an extra set of hands helps with this), remove hose clamps on breather/flame trap hoses, remove under manifold support bracket from block, remove two bolts from breather/flame trap (the lower left is a blind reach. Look at your new one for orientation), clean out all ports that the breather/flame traps were attached to, attach short straight hose to the back of the breather/flame trap (my original had two hose clamps, replacement does not need them), reattach breather/flame trap and reverse the order of everything above. Once everything was reconnected and I hooked the battery back up, I bleed the fuel rail a couple of times and then tried to start it up. It fired right up, not problems. After running it for a couple of minutes, I shut it down and changed the oil. It took me about 6 hours, including a trip to the store for a lost o-ring. I hope this helps.

Last edited by Indy S60; 05-30-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:10 PM

Should I buy the entire kit or replace my broken breather tube and buy the intake gasket? Can I clean the other parts and reuse them? It seems $300 for a kit is expensive!

Old 05-30-2011, 10:40 PM

I purchased everything I needed, oil trap, u-hose, short hose, and long hose to valve cover, and intake gasket for $114 from Volvo of Dallas. 1-866-597-3891. I don't recall the salespersons name, but he is listed as SLSM #157 on the invoice. I explained what I was trying to do and he set me up with everything I needed. I did break one of the old hoses removing it, so I was glad that I bought all new ones.

This isn't an extremely difficult procedure. You will just need plenty of time and patience. You'll also need some carb cleaner for cleaning up the manifold and injector ports. Also, it is a good time to clean your throttle body while it is out of the car and on the bench.

I did this project as a preventative maintenance issue, but I noticed a dramatic improvement in start up idle and overall engine performance. Two of my ports between the oil trap and the engine block were over 50% blocked with carbon. I've seen a couple of postings that indicate that these parts can be cleaned, but I thought with the time involved to access the parts, I didn't want to take a chance on the old parts. $114 seemed worth it after I got the quote from the local repair shop for a 5hr labor job plus the parts!

Old 10-07-2011, 05:27 PM

Sorry to highjack, but my order of the complete Flametrap kit was double ship and Igot an extra kit
So if anyone is doing this on their next project I can sell this cheap, brand new

Only paypal, and to verified address

PM me