Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone have trick to check ATF dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 06:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone have trick to check ATF dipstick

I've never enjoyed checking the warmed up ATF fluid on these cars because it is a hot on the arm situation.

Just wondering if anyone has come up with any tricks to check the fluid level without burning the arm?

Old 10-07-2015, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a good dealer. 25 years of related service.

Any issue like that, I can drive in and they will check it.

I'm sure there are jiffylubes that will do it, but I wouldn't trust them EVER.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by urdrwho
I've never enjoyed checking the warmed up ATF fluid on these cars because it is a hot on the arm situation.

Just wondering if anyone has come up with any tricks to check the fluid level without burning the arm?
Not yet, a thick sweatshirt is about it to protect your skin.
The oil filter on my old BMW is located underneath the exhaust manifold, that situation really sucks. Hot manifold surrounding your arm while unscrewing an oil filter that then dumps hot oil all over your hand.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:24 AM

A free ATF check from the dealer? You are luck.

My dealer is like my attorney who if I say hi to him on the street he will invoice me . Not really just kidding but I don't get any freebies at the dealer.

Originally Posted by pjsmithres
I have a good dealer. 25 years of related service.

Any issue like that, I can drive in and they will check it.

I'm sure there are jiffylubes that will do it, but I wouldn't trust them EVER.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Long sleeves and a glove. Not the easiest thing certainly, but not the worst either.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:19 PM

I guess my naïve question is why check it. Is there something happening?
Leak?

Otherwise the routine maintenance, check it first during oil changes and it should be good.

Dealer here claims it's a nearly closed system and if no leaks, it shouldn't vaporize.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Dealer here claims it's a nearly closed system and if no leaks, it shouldn't vaporize.
If there are no leaks seen when servicing the car and no complaint about the transmission, we don't check it.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:21 AM

It isn't something done on a routine basis. It is something to do once in a while to see how nice and red that fluid is in the trans. If it is dark / has that burnt smell --- it is time to change it.

The other time I look is after a flush/refill to make sure the correct level is achieved on the stick.

Yes it is a closed system but fluids loose their property when under stress / heat. It is a hydraulic element and lubricating element. It may keep the hydraulic element but looses the lubricating element.

I also change brake fluid. Since it is a fluid that attracts moisture, it is good to do away with any moisture. Lower boiling point isn't something ya want what coming down a mountain pass. Plus moisture helps to usher in rust on the caliper pistons. It is also a closed system but there is air in the reservoir which has moisture and there are other ways for moisture to enter the closed system. I'll stop any mechanic that ever uses an already opened brake fluid bottle to my system.

I do wonder about the term lifetime used next to fluids. Is lifetime as soon as the warranty is up

I guess my naïve question is why check it. Is there something happening?
Leak?

Otherwise the routine maintenance, check it first during oil changes and it should be good.

Last edited by urdrwho; 10-08-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:52 AM

It isn't something done on a routine basis. It is something to do once in a while to see how nice and red that fluid is in the trans. If it is dark / has that burnt smell --- it is time to change it.

The other time I look is after a flush/refill to make sure the correct level is achieved on the stick.

Yes it is a closed system but fluids loose their property when under stress / heat. It is a hydraulic element and lubricating element. It may keep the hydraulic element but looses the lubricating element.

I also change brake fluid. Since it is a fluid that attracts moisture, it is good to do away with any moisture. Lower boiling point isn't something ya want what coming down a mountain pass. Plus moisture helps to usher in rust on the caliper pistons. It is also a closed system but there is air in the reservoir which has moisture and there are other ways for moisture to enter the closed system. I'll stop any mechanic that ever uses an already opened brake fluid bottle to my system.

I do wonder about the term lifetime used next to fluids. Is lifetime as soon as the warranty is up
With the way cars are being built these days, I'd say that "lifetime" only means about 100k miles. Manufacturers are not building them like they once did.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't think anyone claims brake fluid is a lifetime fluid. Volvo recommends flushing every two years or 37,500 miles.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:50 AM

Yep -- you are correct.

I was only relating that from what I've seen many if not most people never change their brake fluid.

I was trying to point out that people just don't take care of their cars.

Originally Posted by ES6T
I don't think anyone claims brake fluid is a lifetime fluid. Volvo recommends flushing every two years or 37,500 miles.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:29 AM

Yep -- you are correct.

I was only relating that from what I've seen many if not most people never change their brake fluid.

I was trying to point out that people just don't take care of their cars.
I typically see two types of car owner:
1. Someone who maintains their car
2. Someone who only fixes their car when something breaks

Most people fall under category 2 and only do stuff when something goes wrong. I'd say most of those folks definitely skip on brake fluid changes and proper cooling system flushes.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:32 AM

I'm in the #1 camp. It is probably the reason the cars in our house go for a lot of miles. One Volvo has 229,00 on it I have a Subbie with over 330,00 on it and either of them could go cross country without a problem. The V50 we just picked up is just a child ...it only has 89,000 miles on it.

I'm also one of those people that believe in "change it while you are in there." Such as the guy who was changing a timing belt on his 2.2 subbie. I told to change the water pump while you are there. His response was --- no it is working well. A few months later, in the depth of winter, guess who had to go in and replace a water pump in a subbie engine?

Originally Posted by Cdubbs
I typically see two types of car owner:
1. Someone who maintains their car
2. Someone who only fixes their car when something breaks

Most people fall under category 2 and only do stuff when something goes wrong. I'd say most of those folks definitely skip on brake fluid changes and proper cooling system flushes.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:22 PM

Maint is a must, and if you are "in there", do anything that is near.

My 211,000 mile '91 - 940 is a sparkling model of longevity. Shame it's parts resources are dried up.

The new Pumpkin has 30 K and I'll go through it next month when it's cooler and then take it in for the 37,500.

What happened to winter. We went from summer to one day of fall and we're back to Summer. Fortunate to line in sight of the ocean, but, 102 just a few miles away.

Darn climate change. And Jerry Brown's use no water program.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone have trick to check ATF dipstick-20150925_144139_resized.jpg  
Old 10-10-2015, 04:24 PM

an old pair of jeans. cut off one leg and slide it over your arm and get in there or where ever

Old 10-11-2015, 03:31 PM

I have a pair to sacrifice a leg and that will work just fine.

an old pair of jeans. cut off one leg and slide it over your arm and get in there or where ever