Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Bad dealer experience - fuel pump P0089

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bad dealer experience - fuel pump P0089

I'm hoping to get some advice from the wealth of experience and expertise from the members of this forum.

Recently, I took my car into the dealer for a Check Engine Light.
After spending about $1,000 USD and five trips to the dealer I still have problems. Currently, my car bucks and jerks under hard acceleration. After about an hour of constant driving I lose all ability to accelerate and the car comes to a stop and stalls. The Check Engine Light will come on and go off after a few key cycles.

Here is the story.

Car: 2006 Volvo S60 2.5T FWD, 64,000 Miles, Titanium Color

TRIP TO THE DEALER #1:
Check Engine Light came on. Car drove fine, but I wanted to get it checked out. The dealer said it was code P0089 Fuel Performance. They replaced the fuel rail pressure sensor. The dealer said that didn't fix it. They said the fuel pump was operating at 45% at idle. They said the fuel pump was supose to be at 32% or less at idle. They then replaced the fuel filter. The fuel filter didn't fix it. They then replaced the fuel pump. They said the problem was fixed and the Check Engine Light was out.

TRIP TO THE DEALER #2:
On the way home from trip 1, I attempted to pass another car under hard acceleration and the car started to buck and jerk. It would get to about 4000 rpms and start bucking and jerking. The Check Engine Light came on. The Check Engine Light went off on the way back to the dealer. They said there was no codes stored but the fuel pump was reading 45% at idle again. They said it was a faulty fuel pump. They then replaced the fuel pump under parts warrenty.

TRIP TO THE DEALER#3
On the way home from trip 2, I noticed my fuel gage was moving to empty, half, full, and to empty. I stopped at a rest stop to inspect the car and noticed a strong smell of gas. I looked under the car and saw the tank coated and dripping of gas. I took the car back to the dealer and they said the left side fuel tank access cover was loose.

TRIP TO THE DEALER#4
On the way home from trip 3, I attempted to pass another vehilce and it started bucking and jerking at 4000rpms. Then I was unable to accelerate, the car coasted to a stop and stalled. The Check Engine Light came on and again went off on the way back to the dealer. I took it to the dealer and they said since it only happened once it wasn't a big deal and it was probably bad gas.

TRIP TO THE DEALER #5
On the way home from trip 4, after about an hour of driving I lost the ability to accelerate, the car coasted to a stop and stalled. I'm going to take the car to the dealer tomorrow. I talked to the dealer over the phone and they think it's a bad fuel tank.

I already have about $1,000 into this problem that just started with the Check Engine Light. I'm not sure what to do. I'm starting to doubt the ability of the Dealer. Until this problem, I really enjoyed my Volvo. Volvo for Life. I thought that applied to me. This experience is very frustrating and I don't know if this is a problem with the Volvo product or the dealer.

Any advice is welcome and appreciated.

Thank you,

Mark

Old 06-08-2009, 04:55 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Did you hear any funny noises when it will not accelerate?
I wonder if it is a Cat Converter issue.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:57 AM

When I run the P0089 code through the Equus database it says "Fuel Pressure Regulator Performance." If that is accurate, then they should have replaced the fuel pressure regulator, not the sensor. Or is that what they did?

I think if I were you I'd call the national Volvo of America number and complain. That might get you some money back or at least movement on some good diagnostics.

I'd also consider using a different shop, maybe an independent Volvo shop or go to another dealer since the dealer you've been using doesn't seem to know what they are doing.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:20 AM

Hi tech,

Thanks for the reply. I didn't hear any funny noises when it would not accelerate.
However, when the car stalled on the way home on trip #5, I heard a sucking noise from the back seat. The noise reminded me of drinking out of a straw and running out of liquid. My guess is that's the fuel pump sucking on air when the tank was dry. Although, the fuel gauge was at 1/2 full.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:35 AM

Hi vegasjetskier,

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure they only replaced the Rail Fuel Pressure Sensor.
According to my invoice it was part #W30756097 and called R/R Fuel Pressure Sensor.

One of the things the dealer tried was to put in a fuel pump control module they had on the shelf.
They said that didn't fix it. They said the idle psi on the fuel pump was still too high.

I'm not sure if the fuel pump control module regulates the fuel pressure though.

Last edited by MarkThoftne; 06-09-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:47 AM

UPDATE on Trip #5.

I took the car to the dealer yesterday. Luckily the Check Engine Light came on during my trip. After a couple of hours for diagnosis, the service adviser tried to relay what the tech was saying but she was having trouble translating. I went to the shop floor and talked to the tech directly. He said my car was out of gas. He said there was no gas in the tank. My fuel gauge was at 3/4 when I dropped it off.

After a few more questions I figured out what he meant.

When he tech started the car the gas gauge was on empty, so he went and put gas in it and told the service adviser I was out of gas.

At the fuel station it only took 5 gallons to fill it. Then he figured out that I wasn't actually out of gas.

He then read the stored codes and found there was DTC CEM-4A37. Fuel level sensor. Short-circuit to supply voltage or open-circuit.

The tech said it was an intermittent fault code and didn't know if it actually indicated a problem.

At the end of the day the Volvo dealership said they could not figure it out. They put me in a rent-a-car and said they were going to try and get a field tech sent out.

They told me a field tech is someone who comes out for advanced diagnosis.

Again, thanks for all your advice.

Last edited by MarkThoftne; 06-09-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:51 PM

UPDATE on Trip #5

I just spoke with the dealer and they said the field tech could not come out because he was spread to thin. It was explained to me that since Volvo has been making cutbacks the field tech's coverage area is so large he is almost impossible to get him to come out. The only option at this point is to confer with what they call the tech line. The tech line said it's either a bad pump or debris in the tank.

The tech line said to replace the pump again then to replace the tank. They said no additional diagnosis will be done.

The tech at the dealer said he saw some debris in the tank but it was such a small amount it shouldn't matter.

I was also told there is no way to flush the tank it can only be replaced.

Is this true?

This problem of power loss and jerking at 4000rpm never happened until the pump was replaced.

Disappointing.

Again, any all advice is welcome and appreciated.

Thank you,

Mark

Old 06-10-2009, 10:31 AM

UPDATE

I called Volvo Customer Service. I explained my situation.
He said he would see what he could do and call me back.

Fingers crossed...

Old 06-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Fingers crossed for you.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:56 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The last time the stealership messed up one of my cars I fixed it myself, took photos, sent them an invoice and they paid it within 2 days.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:10 PM

UPDATE

Volvo Customer Service called me back. They told me they had a conversation with the service adviser, service manager, regional franchise manager, tech, and tech line.

The tech line determined the tech didn't follow proper diagnosis procedures.The regional franchise manager told the service adviser and the tech to do whatever it takes to fix the car. Then he said the cost would be shared equally among Volvo, the dealer, and me. The tech line said the next step is to replace the fuel pump and the fuel tank. My 1/3 for that would be $668.

Based on the ruling of a misdiagnosis and the fact they didn't tighten the left side fuel tank access cover I'm left skeptical. I have a low confidence in the ability of the technician working at the dealership. I have an idea of how involved replacing the fuel tank is. I'm worried I might end up with more problems if this same technician is the one doing the work. Am I wrong to be worried? Am I just bitter because my Volvo has been perfect until now.

Tech line is claiming that debris in the tank is the cause for all the problems including causing the P0089 code. That means the $1,000 I have in this problem so far with a fuel pump, rail pressure sensor, and fuel filter was all for nothing.

I'm still a bit skeptical though.
Is is possible that debris in the tank can cause the fuel gauge to act erratically?
I'm worried I'm in for a long list of guessing which part to replace next.
For the two years I've had the car, I've never had this problem. The problem only started after the first fuel pump was installed. So if there are debris in the tank, I wonder if the technician dropped something in the tank. I'm just frustrated to the point where I'm accusing them of covering up incompetence. I suppose it's possible, that there was debris in the tank since I bought it and its just now causing a problem. Or perhaps I encountered some bad gas that created sediment.

Volvo seems constrained for resources as they won't allow the field tech to come out. The tech line seems like they are opting for part replacement. The franchise manager knowing he's constrained for resource is sharing the pain (cost) hoping the dealership will get it right.

What would any of you do if you were in my shoes and this was happening to your Volvo?

How would you feel?

Am I expecting too much?
Am I wrong to think the technician at the dealership is a screw up?

Last thing I found out. The dealership was so busy, I was told the apprentice was the one working on my car in the first place.

Any comments, advice is welcome and appreciated.

Thank you,

Mark

Old 06-10-2009, 10:20 PM

If they messed up, how would I go about proving it?

For example, if they dumped or dropped something in the tank, how could I prove it?

I have knowledge about the car, but I've never worked on it myself. I'm afraid if I was to try I might break something and give the dealership a way out of all responsibility.

But I'm interested in knowing if or how I might prove if they messed up.

I considered taking it to another dealer, but Volvo Customer Service told me I'd be on the hook for %100 of cost rather than being on the hook for 33%. The 33% deal was only good at that dealership.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:56 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Well, if they said that they will share in 66.66% of the cost, and the initial problem still exist, then it sounds like you have already exceeded your 33.33% investment. You may be looking at a REFUND.

I really would not worry about things you CAN NOT CONTROL. Just does you no good. However, they will be a lot more carful working on your car now that the Hubble Telescope is watching.

Just keep expressing that you only want your car fixed. Then remind them that you already paid your share of this problem. You have been doing the same thing over and over again and that should not have caused debri in the fuel tank.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by rspi
Well, if they said that they will share in 66.66% of the cost, and the initial problem still exist, then it sounds like you have already exceeded your 33.33% investment. You may be looking at a REFUND.

I really would not worry about things you CAN NOT CONTROL. Just does you no good. However, they will be a lot more carful working on your car now that the Hubble Telescope is watching.

Just keep expressing that you only want your car fixed. Then remind them that you already paid your share of this problem. You have been doing the same thing over and over again and that should not have caused debri in the fuel tank.
+1. And insist that a different mechanic (NOT and apprentice) do the work. If you have time, sit at the dealership and watch them do it.

Document everything in case you have problems later.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:04 PM

last update

They replaced the fuel tank and that seemed to do the trick. However, 5 days later the car started losing power again under acceleration. I ended up trading it off for a newer S80. I like the S80. However, it's not as nimble as the S60. But it's not supposed to be either. I'm just happy everything on the car works and I have warranty again. In any case, I'll never go back to that dealer again.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:05 PM

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel pressure issues

Yes, I can relate to this thread, going through same issues with my XC90, replaced everything, and still same problem, dies under full acceleration as I watch fuel pressure drop to 8 PSI momentarily which coincides with loss of power, and the P0087-89 fault codes. So given this problem also developed after replacing fuel pump, and I did clean out the little bit of dirt in tank, and since this person had tank replaced and still had same problem, makes me think it is something else. Anyone have any updates on these symptoms?

Thanks,

Old 05-04-2017, 08:15 PM

Free-PPV
I have the exact same issue on my 2006 S60 2.5 T as you and Mark. I have spent close to $2000 and the problem is still there. Replaced fuel pressure sensor, module, and pump all with genuine Volvo parts. The car has p0088 and p0190.
I will have to send the car to junk yard if it doesn't pass the inspection
Volvo for me was a costly bitter experience....

Old 05-04-2017, 08:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Amin Dadsepah
Free-PPV
I have the exact same issue on my 2006 S60 2.5 T as you and Mark. I have spent close to $2000 and the problem is still there. Replaced fuel pressure sensor, module, and pump all with genuine Volvo parts. The car has p0088 and p0190.
I will have to send the car to junk yard if it doesn't pass the inspection
Volvo for me was a costly bitter experience....
These vehicles can drive you crazy, if not into bankruptcy. The codes you are seeing are fuel pressure related, so you really need to put a fuel pressure gauge on rail to see exactly what the pressure is. These codes are a high pressure situation, not low like most suffer. A pinched restricted gas line is usually the problem, fuel pump is working harder than normal and pressure is high at the pump trying to push fuel to engine, so you need to see what the pressure is at engine first. Fuel filter could be clogged too, you didn't mention if this was replaced, so check pressure at rail, you can get an idea by using tire pressure gauge if you don't want to spend money on fuel pressure gauge, should be in the 43 lb. range. There is also a test point valve by the filter you can compare pressure at to isolate problem.

Good luck,

Last edited by FREE-PPV; 05-04-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:25 PM

Thank you Free-PPV for your response.

It has already made me crazy! and broke my pocket..
well, I have not checked the fuel pressure on fuel rail. That's what I should do for sure.
Two mechanics and myself checked for pinched fuel lines, and we couldn't find anything anywhere from the tank to the engine. Fuel filter has also been replaced. I was going to pull the CEM tomorrow and clean the connectors. I can't think of anything else really...
One time I heard clicking noise from behind dash and code p0700 along with bunch of other codes popped up. It never happened before and I never ever had any problems with transmission. I disconnected and reconnected the battery and it was fine again. This happened only once.
The two codes now are p0088 and p0090. They through the check engine light after 10-15 minutes of driving. I erased them a few times and they both come back again. Only these two codes now, nothing else..
I'll keep you posted tomorrow after I clean the connectors and check relays. Hopefully it resolves the problem.

Quick Reply: Bad dealer experience - fuel pump P0089