Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

A/C Expansion Valve whereabouts

Old 07-27-2016, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Expansion Valve whereabouts

I've diagnosed my 2001 T5 S60 A/C issue to be with the expansion valve. I just can't figure out how to get to it! I've read conflicting things in the forums. It's supposed to be right behind the firewall with access from inside the engine compartment - but I just can't figure out how to get to it to do the replacement. There's a small metal plate with two 10mm bolts that I removed - but that doesn't grant access. Do I need to disconnect the two refrigerant lines (plastic connectors that are at the firewall) first?

thanks in advance.

Lyle in durham.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:39 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lotekinc
I've diagnosed my 2001 T5 S60 A/C issue to be with the expansion valve. I just can't figure out how to get to it! I've read conflicting things in the forums. It's supposed to be right behind the firewall with access from inside the engine compartment - but I just can't figure out how to get to it to do the replacement. There's a small metal plate with two 10mm bolts that I removed - but that doesn't grant access. Do I need to disconnect the two refrigerant lines (plastic connectors that are at the firewall) first?

thanks in advance.

Lyle in durham.
here is a link to a exploded view. check with me tomorrow and I can email the Volvo step by step info

Climate unit S60 L.H.D -2004. Fits: 2001 Volvo S60 | Volvo Wholesale Parts Direct

Old 07-28-2016, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick response Smith Volvo.

There wasn't a whole lot of diagnostic info on my particular issue - so I'll repeat it here for the benefit of future Volvo owners with a similar problem.

Symptom was compressor was cycling every 10 seconds or so. On for 10 seconds, off for 10 seconds. At first I thought it was simply low refrigerant. A quick test with the gauges indicated the high pressure side was spiking every time the compressor engaged. I presume that there's a failsafe that was disengaging the compressor when the pressure exceeded a certain threshold. This would indicate a blockage in either the condenser or the expansion valve. I swapped out the cheaper of the two (the EV) and all is back to normal.