Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can I use PB Blaster to loosen spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 12:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can I use PB Blaster to loosen spark plugs

Last Saturday I went to replace my spark plugs. When I got to #3 I found that I would have need far to much torque to get the plug out. I would have had to use a breaker bar. It started to make that noise, if you know what I mean, the noise of something is going to break. So I just put the coil back on and moved forward.

The same thing happened to #4 and so I moved on.

#5 hose went fine.

I am thinking of giving another attempt but this time I'll spray some penetrant down the hole and leave it soak for a while.

Good idea? I'm really not into having the threads come out with the plug or breaking the plug.

IF I am on a dangerous path, I'd rather just let those two remain in place and just keep the two overly expensive Volvo spark plugs rest in the cabinet.

Last edited by urdrwho; 08-08-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:57 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by urdrwho
Last Saturday I went to replace my spark plugs. When I got to #3 I found that I would have need far to much torque to get the plug out. I would have had to use a breaker bar. It started to make that noise, if you know what I mean, the noise of something is going to break. So I just put the coil back on and moved forward.

The same thing happened to #4 and so I moved on.

#5 hose went fine.

I am thinking of giving another attempt but this time I'll spray some penetrant down the hole and leave it soak for a while.

Good idea? I'm really not into having the threads come out with the plug or breaking the plug.

IF I am on a dangerous path, I'd rather just let those two remain in place and just keep the two overly expensive Volvo spark plugs rest in the cabinet.
Can't hurt anything - let it soak overnight maybe?

Old 08-08-2016, 03:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was doing them for a just because maintenance. I didn't know when the previous owner replaced them. The gap on ones removed were bigger than what is required so I guess the tips were worn.

So on a just because maintenance I would be ticked if I snapped one. There is the times when doing a needed replacement and things go wrong but this wouldn't be a needed instance.

Originally Posted by Smith Volvo
Can't hurt anything - let it soak overnight maybe?

Old 08-11-2016, 09:31 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I used PB Blaster on my V70 to remove the plugs. Just sprayed it in and let it set overnight.