Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Climate control not working after battery replaced

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 04:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate control not working after battery replaced

Please help!! I replaced my battery on my S60 and now my climate control panel is not working. I was told to reset the CCM. Can anyone please tell me how to do this?, or if there is something else I can do without having to replace this module. Thank you

Old 08-09-2010, 06:57 AM

pull your owner's manual and check and see which slot is the fuse for the a/c.......check to make sure that it did not blow...it's a possiblilty can't say for sure but I would check that first, also does everything else on your dashboard work.....i.e. the fuel gauge when you start car the tach, the odometer etc....I had the fuse in position 32 blow and it controls the a/c, the tach, the odometer, pwr locks....etc. check fuse in slot 32 and see also post if your other gauges work, if they do then check manual for other possible fuses/relays. I hope this helps!

Old 08-09-2010, 04:01 PM

my climate control went out after jumping my car. i was told it needed to be replaced by just about every shop i contacted for roughly a grand. if it is auto climate control the weak point in the circuit is the actual temp sensor located behind the small vent in the face of the climate control. i bought a used one from lkq and wired in the new sensor and solved my $1000 problem for $35. however checking fuses and connections is the best way to start.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:26 AM

I have a 1996 Volvo 850 with a automatic climate control system. I am having issue with the climate control turning on. When I start the car the fan for the climate control will go on momentarily then shuts itself down. Please help. I changed the blower motor resistor but that did not help.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:26 PM

Turn the ignition switch to position II, connect the battery (-) lead.
Intialize the upper electronic module (UEM):
Intialize the central locking, interior lighting and sun roof by unlocking the car using the key fob, or key. Calibrating the blower fan: With manual (MCC) or standard climate control the blower fan speed must be recalibrated. Ignition on, turn fan switch to maximum, turn to minimum, done. The sun roof must be closed, ignition switch position I, push control for the tilt position, release switch, operate the control to close the sun roof for at least 5 sec., release the switch, done.
Sumo

Old 07-13-2013, 03:45 PM
Default Same problem here

Did you ever get this issue resolved? I went to pick up my car today from an indie shop and as I was leaving, realized that the AC panel was dead. No lights, no air, nothing. I thought it had to be a fuse since it worked fine when I had dropped it off. I couldnt find the issue so I went in, and one of the mechanics said that the AC had not worked when he went to go take car to get alignment (I had struts replaced). He said that he had to jump the car which is weird because my car's battery is not even a year old, and never given me any problems.

I end up leaving with no AC and in 105 degree weather with my 4yo. I was not a happy camper. From researching the issue, I know now that the mechanic probably did not jump my car but used it to jump another...and screwed up my climate control module. I know i can never prove it as the shop owners first defense was that they did not work on any of the electrical...even after the admission from the tech about jump starting. I dont really even care about that, or the obvious sub standard quality of the climate module that Volvo used....

I just want to know how to reset this module. I have heard several diff methods, and none have worked. I know my module is the issue because the fuses have been checked, and nothing on the module is working (AC, headrest drop, STC). So it is just the module that is out. Im not paying 1000 dollars for a substandard part from Volvo.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TXS60T5, go to the dealer and try to reload CCM software first. If that does not help replace the module.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:01 PM

Thanks for the response. I have heard that a software reload will sometimes help. I do not understand why if it is working fine one day, the next I have to go get software reloaded(for $130-150 from some posts). I do not want to pay for software that should already be in this module. And some say, just reset module by touching negative cable to positive cable. There are several posts where this has worked too. And then others that have bought a repl from eBay and it has worked, or it has worked after the needed software reset as you have mentioned. I can sort of see the software reset/reload applicable in this case since the part needs to be married to a diff car.

It really irks me that I should pay for something that should already be hard wired into this module.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:35 AM

sometimes when battery is replaced or car is being jump started software in the CCM becomes corrupted.
Try to find unit from the car that is closer to yours i mean year, trans, engine etc should match.
The more matches you have the less probability you have to the need of "marriage" the unit with car.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:09 PM

Thanks Double. Good advice as I learned because I did an exhaustive search on many forums last night. I am going to pull the part today if my last reset does not work. I tried it several times last night and it seems each time I did it, I got back something I couldn't work before. The last time I did it, my sunroof came back to life. Only thing left are the items on the AC module and the lights on the shifter. So I left the battery disconnected last night, and the cables touching to see if I can get that last module reset. The one module I need is the only one not working. The outside temp gauge in my car (my other car, Lexus) got up to 109!

An FYI for those out there with the same issue - which Im sure will happen. Another posting I found stated that there AC module went out the same way mine apparently did, after a jump start. The OP of that thread said that he got his to work again by jumping his car again. I figured I would give that a try as soon as I get my jumper box back today(loaned it out). I will update posting if either of these work.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:52 PM

Leaving battery disconnected can reset only engine ECU.
All other units will be untouched.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:43 PM
Default Climate control working!

Ok...I can now say that I am the CCM expert. After weeks of researching and trying different things, today, I achieved success. My CCM is alive, all functions are normal, and everything is working including the shift lever lights.

First, to recap what I tried (This is only for those that will find this thread when they find themselves in the same situation - and Im sure there will be many because this CCM is a piece of S#i+.)

I tried to unhook battery, touch two together to reset modules and that did not work.
I also left the battery unhooked for several days to make sure that I could reset modules- also did not work.
Someone had luck "jump starting" the battery to send a spike and that seems to wake up the CCM. I tried this a few times too - no go.
I also tried to take CCM out and thereby cutting off its source of power, and then reconnect to see if I could reset it that way - no go.
Most of you at this point would have said its your CCM - you have to replace with a new one 1200, or get a used one 40-50 dollars, and then pay Volvo to reload software (120-130). I said, NO WAY!.

I remembered a post by a guy that had managed to jump the CCM at the thermistor and had revived a dead CCM. I figured, why not? Well, it worked! It worked, and it is seems to be a permanent fix. I went ahead and ordered a CCM I found cheap on ebay (30 bucks) and figured I would just replace the thermistor since it seems this is the faulty part that shuts the CCM down.

Anyway, if you are reading this and have any questions, msg me and I can help you get your AC, head rests, STC, and Valet functions going again, for 0 dollars. I used a piece of wire that I had left over from my other shenanigans, so it did not cost me anything more than my time. Taking CCM off is easy, and this whole process could probably be done in less than an hour.

One word of caution: Disconnect battery when connecting or disconnecting the CCM. Otherwise it will turn on airbag light...I did follow my own advice, but because I was experimenting with different ways to wake the CCM before I jumped the thermistor, I knew it was going to set it off but figured I would rather have AC and a annoying light, than no light and no AC. You can avoid setting off light if you do it the right way.

Thanks for everyone's help. My hope is that others will have an easier time learning from my trials and tribulations.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:49 AM
Default No power to CCM

thanks TXS60T5, Same problem here!!! I noticed just before my CCM went dead my thermostat must be shot!!! my car is running way to cold. Engine light came on! I disconnected batter (-) to shot off engine light, not noticing that my car is running way to cool. I fixed the engine light problem but now the CCm wont turn on and light at gear shift wont turn on, Dam!!! I;m getting my thermostat changed in a couple of days. I hope it fixes problem.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How does it look that thermistor? If it's a glass tube with a thin wire inside, don't jump it, replace it with another one of with the same number. That would be a fuse, and it burnt because when reconnecting the battery there was a surge that could have burn other electronic components. Next time such surge happens, if the thermistor is jumped there will be worst problems.

Also, when reconnecting the battery, always have the ignition key in position II (headlights on).

Old 03-14-2014, 06:00 AM

ok thanks..I'll get it out this weekend. I unscrewed the two screws below the CCM but it would not come out. I hope I don't have to take the radio out first and half the dash.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:20 PM

Well I got a different CCM module put in and it only works the heater and fan. It doesn't turn on the heated seats or the rear window defrost, very strange. The unit is out of a V70 T5. It also doesn't have the valet button or the head restraint button. But it works!. I, not sure what to do next. I wish the old one would work. Oh well, I will keep looking on ebay.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:53 AM

Software in the unit is not compatible with car so needs to be reprogrammed.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:21 PM
Default Sorry about the late post!

I had a ton of pvt messages from those of you that have run into this CCM issue...most of you had no idea what a thermistor is or where to find it....SOOOO, since I never check my pvt messages, Ill post an update here...By the way my AC is working like new, and I didnt pay to reload software(a rip off), or buy a brand new CCM for 1K or whatever the dealer wants for it.

I bought a used one off ebay for around 25 bucks shipped. I did try the unit as is and popped it in my car....the unit worked, but the headrest button as well as the other buttons on the bottom did not work, and the AC light stayed on all the time(even with unit off, key out, all lights on CCM stayed on). This is why if you do buy a replacement, in order for it to work 100 percent, you will have to get the software reload...

I took the unit apart, grabbed the thermistor out, spliced it on my old unit, and Voila!!!! working unit, everything works 100 percent.

So, where is this tricky thermistor? If you are looking at the CCM, it is directly behind that little grille that looks like a square (the ambient temp sensor im guessing). To get to it, you have to take the CCM completely apart, which is not hard, but do be careful because tabs break easily. There are 8-10 small screws to remove....once you find the thermistor,(it is a small sensor connected by two very thin copper wires that are soldered on to the main board, you can solder them back together, or splice a new one as i did....you cant bypass it, I tried, and that small pin head sensor is very important for some reason, so be careful when working with the thermistor. If you want to test if jumping it will kick start your CCM, just hook up the main board to the connections and you can hold the broken wires together and then start car (mine kicked on like magic)....I couldnt believe that small little wire was killing my whole CCM....but that is what the problem was....If you mess up your thermistor, just look on ebay for a repl...all you need is that little wire....you will need to be able to solder or if you are like me, I dont know how, I just spliced the new thermistor with the old board and it was worked fine since....

ALSO!!!!! IMPORTANT!!!! As I mentioned in my earlier post, if you disconnect the CCM without disconnecting the battery, you will trigger your airbag light....not a big deal, but you have to have a dealer reset on that light....I got tired of unhooking it each time, so I said "F" it...my light is still on, and other than the small annoyance, its no big deal....

I hope this is a little better explanation and Im sorry, if I could upload pics, I would, If you have any questions, dont pm, I wont see them right away...you are free to email me at castillo8071@gmail.com.

PS: Ok....I uploaded two pics (sorry I dont have a pic of thermistor, the new one is in use and the other was trashed)...but here a pic of the grille I was talking about, the thermistor is right behind this grille....and a pic of the board where the thermistor is mounted (See the square cut out? This is where the thermistor is mounted). Hope this helps a little.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Climate control not working after battery replaced-photo-1.jpg   Climate control not working after battery replaced-photo-2.jpg  

Last edited by TXS60T5; 03-19-2014 at 08:40 PM. Reason: add photos
Old 03-20-2014, 08:36 AM

I will be soldering the two thin wires together this weekend before I plug it in to the car. I will do it on my original CCM as it is dead and I have nothing to loose, LOL. I am currently using a Doner CCM out of a V70 wagon that only works the heat and blower fan. No heated seats or rear defrost which sucks living in Canada. I will unplug the negative battery terminal first, so I don't trip the airbag light before install. I will keep everyone posted.
20140319_203059_zps92ad1fe9.jpg Photo by dblazevich1 | Photobucket

Last edited by Dblazevich; 03-20-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:04 PM
Default Yes, thats the troublemaker

DBlaze has included a picture of the troublemaker(thermistor). You see the two small copper wires with the little bulb? When I talk about jumping the CCM, you should be able to hold those two wires together(and start the car to turn on AC module), with these touching, your CCM should come back to life. Remember, that little bulb is important, so you cant just bridge the two with any ol wire.

For those of you that have boought a repl and it only sort of works- this is because it needs a software reprogram (A complete rip off if you ask me - cost of of 100-150)...The work around is to take the thermistor from the REPL unit and solder or splice it to your original unit and everything will work as it should just fine. Any questions, please post or email me.

Quick Reply: Climate control not working after battery replaced