Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

considering aftermarket stereo

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default considering aftermarket stereo

I've been told by the local car stereo guys about all the things they need to install an aftermarket radio. My question is: Will the aftermarket radio cause problems with the S60's computer? If so, what can I do to resolve the problems? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Jim

Old 10-05-2006, 05:52 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: considering aftermarket stereo

What are they telling you they need to install to run an aftermarket stereo?

Old 10-05-2006, 06:47 PM

An adapter for the steering wheel radio controls. A "harness" that connects all the wires. An antenna adapter (at least for satellite). A custom face plate.....

That's all I can remember, there might be more.

I'm just wondering whether removing the factory radio and/or adding a new one will cause any conflicts withe the S60's computer.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:40 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Well yeah if you want to control the radio thru the steering wheel then I am sure you would need an adapter.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ogsrotag

I've been told by the local car stereo guys about all the things they need to install an aftermarket radio. My question is: Will the aftermarket radio cause problems with the S60's computer? If so, what can I do to resolve the problems? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Jim

What is the brand name of the aftermarket radio? Is it a SIRUS. . .

Old 10-06-2006, 12:41 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

You will need to have the Dealer download software to remove the radio as a computer in the car.

The radio is in the Network of the car. The software take it out of the Network.

It will cost about $100.00 to have it done at the Dealer.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:09 PM

i had an aftermarket stereo put in. new speakers, new head unit and a sub w/amp in the back of my 2002 s60. i've been having little problems here and there such as the ABS light will not turn off, my sunroof won't open or close all the way and my ac unit is running hot air but only on the right side of the car.

everyone i've spoken to keeps telling me that all the problems are due to the new head unit and that the only way to fix it is by going back to the stock radio because the central computer is in the stock radio. the stereo guy was telling me that the ABS was due to taking out the stereo, not sure why but that always seems to happen. how can the climate control and sunroof be affected at all by the aftermarket stereo?

also, would getting an addition to connect the stereo to the steering wheel so i can control the radio from the steering wheel also maybe cure the ABS light problem? is that possibly where its getting tripped?

Old 06-04-2011, 11:07 PM
Exclamation Dont mean to bump this thread...

The reason you are having airbag lights, electrical issues, etc, is because Volvos have a central computer system. If you remove a functional part of the central computer system, it is smart enough to know that something is not right, but not smart enough to tell you what is wrong. You must take it to a Volvo dealer which uses Volvo's VIDA software to detect the problem (well, we know whats wrong) When you replace a factory stereo on a Volvo there is a "remove radio" download that must be performed on the vehicle. This software download tells the volvo's central computer system to remove the radio from the network. The car is basically all networked into the central computer system (think of a network that provides you to the internet - if components are not working, it doesnt work well, or at all) Volvo's are quite tricky to say the least. Somthing that is an urgent situation; if you have airbag lights going on and off, you must always consider the system unavailable in an accident, and this is a crtical safety system...You should have it repaired right away (have remove radio software download done.) A OBDII scan tool WILL NOT detect issues, or clear these codes. Only a dealer or someone who has payed for Volvo's propiritary VIDA software can perform this.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by volvomans60
When you replace a factory stereo on a Volvo there is a "remove radio" download that must be performed on the vehicle. This software download tells the volvo's central computer system to remove the radio from the network.
I know this is an old thread but can anyone tell me if you can do this update BEFORE installing the aftermarket stereo? I'm looking to have one installed because my HU-850 died this week.

Thanks!

Old 10-18-2016, 10:36 AM

I called a dealership and was told to have it installed BEFORE removing the stereo. Also told me it would be about $100. According to the link below, the software costs $31.20 to install.

https://www.volvotechinfo.com/index....ist_090109.pdf

Old 11-10-2016, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by bmccormack11
I called a dealership and was told to have it installed BEFORE removing the stereo. Also told me it would be about $100. According to the link below, the software costs $31.20 to install.

https://www.volvotechinfo.com/index....ist_090109.pdf
I just got a call from a Volvo dealership and he informed me that any models 2004 or earlier would need the software installed otherwise they'll get a bunch of codes. He said if you have after 2004 and don't install the software then the only code you'd get is a "missing radio" but no lights will go off and it won't cause any harm. He recommended that I NOT get the software installed since my car is a 2007 Volvo S60 and it wouldn't be worth the $160 they'd charge me.

Old 11-19-2016, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by bmccormack11
I just got a call from a Volvo dealership and he informed me that any models 2004 or earlier would need the software installed otherwise they'll get a bunch of codes. He said if you have after 2004 and don't install the software then the only code you'd get is a "missing radio" but no lights will go off and it won't cause any harm. He recommended that I NOT get the software installed since my car is a 2007 Volvo S60 and it wouldn't be worth the $160 they'd charge me.
Im willing to bet that until the computer realizes what is wrong(missing radio), you will have weird things happen as described earlier in this thread. I had these weird things happen when my factory alarm had issues. it took about a year for the computer to realize it and things went back to normal after the car gives a factory alarm needs servicing warning.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by newwby
I know this is an old thread but can anyone tell me if you can do this update BEFORE installing the aftermarket stereo? I'm looking to have one installed because my HU-850 died this week.

Thanks!
My HU_850 won't accept cds am interested to find out if I can replace with an earlier HU-803 which I have

Old 02-21-2017, 12:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year is your car? I installed a new Kenwood in my 2002 S60, using a Crutchfield kit. No issues at all. I did not have the old stereo removed from the computer.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:55 PM

Is it possible for an after market stereo to cause or be related to transmission issues? I had a JVC KD-X350BTS professionally installed in my 2006 S60. I have had the vehicle looked at by a couple shops trying to pinpoint the transmission issue and no one seems to be able to tell me what's wrong.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:22 PM

I ended up replacing mine with a used/tested HU-850