Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Did I really kill my S60?

Old 02-20-2014, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I really kill my S60?

I have a 2002 S60 with 92k miles.

For years and years I had the oil changed every 3000 miles at a 3rd party shop, who put a sticker on the windshield with the mileage so I'd know when to change it again. When I moved, at 83k miles I took the car to a Volvo dealer, who changed the oil and said that with new synthetics I could change it only every 6000 miles. I asked about a window sticker, and they said they'd program the computer to tell me when it needed an oil change.

Fair enough. However they also told me I was ahead on my service schedule, as I was getting the 90k service at around 83k miles (or some such, I don't have the actual mileages available). They warned me that the next service would be expensive as the timing belt would need routine replacing.

So I drive the car. After about a year, I get a message saying that it's time for routine service. I figure this is the car asking for the next routine service, ie for the new timing belt. So I basically ignore this message, thinking I will keep going until I hit the true mileage required for the timing belt replacement. I never get a message about an oil change. Maybe you see where this is going.

So I keep driving. A few days ago I get a message saying there's no oil pressure. I take the car in. Volvo looks at it and tells me the car is 3 quarts low on oil. The engine and filter are sludged up. It's now been 9000 miles since an oil change. They ask if they can try and desludge it for about $1700, I agree. They call back a few minutes later and say they found metal filings in the oil pan and that there's no point in doing anything else, that the bearings are likely stripped and the engine's days are numbered. They changed the oil/filter and told me to pick up the car. They did not perform the routine service.

Obviously this is my fault for not putting oil in the car, I am not blaming Volvo for that, though I wish I had just kept doing my usual routine. My question is: is the car truly toast? They basically advised me not to put any more money into it. Is there anything to do to extend the remaining lifetime of the engine, maybe put in an oil desludging additive and have the filter changed frequently?

Any advice would be very appreciated!

Old 02-20-2014, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

The service reminder message comes on by time or mileage (7500 miles, 750 engine hours or 1 year). The car does not know what service is due.

Going 9,000 miles on an oil change is not good. If the bearings are worn bad enough to produce metal shavings then yes, the engine's days are likely numbered.

You can try desludging additives and frequent oil changes but this won't make up for worn bearings if they are worn.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:13 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

No matter what kind of electronic monitor or windshield sticker you have it's still a good idea to check the fluids every or at least every couple of fuel fills.
Sorry for your loss.
Keep it full of oil and hope for the best.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 02-20-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the engine making any knocking sounds when running?
If you desludge and keep up with the regular oil and filter changes as stated above by ES6T you may with some good luck, get quite a bit more life out of her?
Synthetic oil might be the best option also.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:47 PM

The engine sounds normal to me. There is no knocking or ticking, and no discernible vibration either. I do have an active AAA membership so... maybe I will gamble and keep a close eye on its behavior and the fluid levels, and wait and see if it croaks. Only tough decision is whether to continue doing expensive maintenance on a car that, assuming "Fair" condition, has a Bluebook value of $2700... (I know "Fair" is likely stretching it... sadly KBB doesn't have "All jacked up" condition as an option.)

Old 02-20-2014, 08:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I cannot imagine spending $1700 to desludge an engine that is likely shot. That is simply too much money to risk. You don't mention where you are from. Is there an independent shop close by that specializes in Volvo specifically, or European cars in general? In my opinion 12 year old cars and dealerships don't usually mix and independents are far more likely to come up with a more affordable plan. $1700 would get you a used engine installed where I live, so if it was mine I would change the oil and filter and see if you have oil pressure. If so, drive it, listen carefully, change the oil again in 500 miles and then about every 2500 miles assuming that everything sounds and looks ok. Check the oil daily at first to establish any usage and watch for smoke out the tail pipe. If you get really lucky you end up with an engine that uses a quart every 1000 miles or less. If not you are not out $1700 and can apply to toward a used engine or a new car.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:31 PM

Buy some high detergent oil google online then put in car run for a week and drop the oil. Change it do it again then you should be good for a regular oil cycle. In the winter time lots of idling I do my oil ever 3000 miles.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:41 PM

Now that the oil level is back to normal, is the low oil pressure still on?

There is sludge in the engine and the rod bearings are worn/damaged to some extend.

Depending on the amount of damage, there could be a change the engine will keep running for a while if the sludge is removed. Or it will soon start knocking.

If you want to give it a chance, remove the oil pan, clean it, change the o-rings inside the pan, and by the same check the rod bearings for play. Perhaps check the oil pump as well. Then you'll have your answer. $1700 will include all this and perhaps a new oil pump. You will also want to check the PCV system at same time, as it can also create sludge in the engine at your miles.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:04 PM

Nope the light remains off. The car is just asking for scheduled service :P. I will give that a shot, I like the car and besides this mechanical issue it is in very good shape (body, interior, aftermarket stereo etc). Thanks for all the help everyone!

Old 02-25-2014, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Zakharov
Nope the light remains off. The car is just asking for scheduled service :P. I will give that a shot, I like the car and besides this mechanical issue it is in very good shape (body, interior, aftermarket stereo etc). Thanks for all the help everyone!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Play safe, Flush the engine, remove and clean the oil pan, replace the Oil Pan Sealing Kit , replace the oil filter and oil/ replace timing belt kit and the oil pump seal/cam seals / thermostat /antifreeze Used Volvo OEM parts.
Car should by good for a long time assuming you replace oil & filter on time.

Good luck.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

And assuming there was not a lot of bearing damage.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:45 PM

Bearing damage will cost low oil pressure and possibly noised or knocking. Other wise damage will not by that much. of curse the odds are better than 80/20 that the repair will last a long time or he can replace all the bearings when he remove the oil pan.
also I suggest to install and oil plug whit the one that have the magnet.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:48 PM

Might be a good idea to have a oil an analysis.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:52 AM

I just wanted to update this thread on the off chance that someone ever ends up in a similar situation.

The car is still running. Since it's worth so little and likely damaged anyways, I decided not to pay the dealer or other mechanic to do anything with it. Instead I went ahead and made it my "learn about car care" fun experiment.

After my original post, I waited two months to see if the car would lose any oil. Fluid levels were rock solid. After that I changed my own oil for the first time (after using Motor Medic flush). The oil was totally black and gritty even though it had only been in the car for 2 months. I also replaced the timing belt and water pump myself at that time which was way, way, cheaper than having the dealer do it and was really fun to do. I've changed the oil again since then, and again it was totally black and gritty, so I may not be out of the woods yet. But the car continues to run well.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:56 PM

just one question for you Zakharov: what oil do you use? What filter?
I have similar although not that drastic situation with my 2003 S60 T5, 149k kms (93k miles) I used Castrol High Mileage 5W30 conventional oil and after 9000kms (5650 miles) oil pressure warning light went off. Oil was still on the bottom of crossed section on a dipstick. I change the oil pressure sensor, flush the engine, change oil to Mobil 1 5w30 but still lamp is on and off. So tomorrow I will be changing all seals and gaskets around the oil pump.

and don't worry: your car will be OK - oil level stays the same, smooth ride, no smoke from exhaust so no indications of any problems

Old 01-19-2015, 05:41 AM

Since the incident I've used Mobil 1 10W30, because I'm from Texas, it gets hot. I used a Fram filter for the first two changes and have a K&N for the next one

Old 01-20-2015, 07:15 AM

[QUOTE=greg1;404404]just one question for you Zakharov: what oil do you use? What filter?
I have similar although not that drastic situation with my 2003 S60 T5, 149k kms (93k miles) I used Castrol High Mileage 5W30 conventional oil and after 9000kms (5650 miles) oil pressure warning light went off. Oil was still on the bottom of crossed section on a dipstick. I change the oil pressure sensor, flush the engine, change oil to Mobil 1 5w30 but still lamp is on and off. So tomorrow I will be changing all seals and gaskets around the oil pump.
================================================== If your lamp still on and of, is and indication that you have a leak on the oil pressure system. if when you first start the car when cold, you hear lifter sounds for the first few seconds you may have a leak from the oil sump seals. To replace them you need to remove the oil pan. it happens often on Volvo's.

Attached Thumbnails Did I really kill my S60?-oil-sump-0-ring-gasket-kit.jpg  
Old 01-20-2015, 08:30 PM
Default dont worry

Just repaired my car. Explained in details with photos on other volvo forum - looks like all "experts" didn't personally do anything, just theories. In my car the pick-up tube filter - mesh filter that is first to suck the oil from oil pan - was almost completely clogged. So what I learned from that?
If you see low oil pressure warning and still have oil on a dipstick, check this first - forget about oil pressure sensor, seals,changing oil etc.
And for the experts: oil is picked up first by that tube, then goes to oil pump, oil filter and to the engine so it is very highly unlikely to find clogged pipes APTER the oil filter
IMHO

Old 01-20-2015, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by greg1
Just repaired my car. Explained in details with photos on other volvo forum - looks like all "experts" didn't personally do anything, just theories. In my car the pick-up tube filter - mesh filter that is first to suck the oil from oil pan - was almost completely clogged. So what I learned from that?
If you see low oil pressure warning and still have oil on a dipstick, check this first - forget about oil pressure sensor, seals,changing oil etc.
And for the experts: oil is picked up first by that tube, then goes to oil pump, oil filter and to the engine so it is very highly unlikely to find clogged pipes APTER the oil filter
IMHO
There is no difference between that job and doing the oil pan seals, since the o-ring on the pickup tube should be replaced. That's a good time to clean the screen, obviously. Not sure why you seem to have an attitude.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:15 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by greg1
IMHO
Originally Posted by ES6T
There is no difference between that job and doing the oil pan seals, since the o-ring on the pickup tube should be replaced. That's a good time to clean the screen, obviously. Not sure why you seem to have an attitude.
================================================== You are 100% correct. Now hi is the EXPERT ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Did I really kill my S60?