Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Emission System Service Required

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emission System Service Required

My 01 S60 non-turbo seem to give me some troubles lately. Last Friday, after a long hwy drive and start the car, the "Emission System Service Required" came on with the engine light stays on the dash. After couple short local drive, the message go away by itself. And yesterday, it came back on and stays on. I am going to bring this into the dealer for diagnostic tommorrow to pull the code.

I am wondering if anyone has experience something similar and what are the likely cause of the problem? Note that the warning and light went away by itself and came back on. I know certain items such as Catalytic converter are covered by the extended emission warranty, I hope this is the case.

thanks

MC

Old 05-23-2006, 12:51 AM
Default RE: Emission System Service Required

Have you recently filled the tank of your car up with cheap gas? Just about every new car out there will get pissy if you use cheap gas...all those "impurities" bonding to the carbons and nitrogens leaving the poor oxygens to fend for themselves...until the O2 sensors pick em up...then all hell breaks loose and the "your car will explode" lights come on...

sorry.....i'm very tired.

try filling your tank up at a different gas station and see if it goes off after about half a tank.

Old 05-23-2006, 01:32 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

There is about 200 different things that can turn the light on.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:25 PM

Dealer did a diagnosis today and said it is the mass airflow sensor that caused the problem. $399 + tax to replace it including the diagnosis time. Is this a common item for failure? The car has less than 50K mile....

Old 05-23-2006, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Some are known to go bad.
It is like a 50/50 chance.

Old 05-24-2006, 01:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they say it's the MAF then let them replace it. They are know to go bad, and if the tech is good in his diagnosis is correct then it should solve your problem.

Old 05-24-2006, 06:06 AM

Yes I had them replaced the MAF and seem like the problem go away. I will have to go take some long Hwy drive to further verify this.

After they did the replacement, I looked around the MAF area and try to open the air filter lid to check if my filter is dirty. I found it very difficult to fit the air box lid back there. It still doesn't look right after multiple attempts, the middle tab at the back of the housing is still stucking out slightly. Any trick to fit that back on nicely? I also broke one out of the three clips that hold the lid in the front during the process. Does dealer sell the clip seperately or it is part of the airbox?

Old 05-24-2006, 09:54 AM

www.eurosporttuning.com

ditch the airbox all together...

Old 05-25-2006, 12:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mingster

Yes I had them replaced the MAF and seem like the problem go away. I will have to go take some long Hwy drive to further verify this.

After they did the replacement, I looked around the MAF area and try to open the air filter lid to check if my filter is dirty. I found it very difficult to fit the air box lid back there. It still doesn't look right after multiple attempts, the middle tab at the back of the housing is still stucking out slightly. Any trick to fit that back on nicely? I also broke one out of the three clips that hold the lid in the front during the process. Does dealer sell the clip seperately or it is part of the airbox?

You know I've new found the trick to getting the middle tab back in. I hate to say this but I usually get the outside two tabs back in place, the clips and just forget the middle one. They are such a PITA. Maybe tech has some words of wisdom on getting the tricky bastard back in it's place.

Old 08-20-2006, 03:08 AM

i am a tech at a dealer and yes there is a trick for this

first make sure that the two tabs on the sides are in there slots and stay in then get a pry bar and put it in between the middle tab and the fuse box and pry forward on the middle tab all whille making sure the side tabs stay in there slot. u should hear a click and it does take some force.

Old 08-20-2006, 11:23 AM
Administrator

The Lid will go in easier if you do like S60 described above. But I usually take a Razor and Cut the little Tabs out of the Middle hole. Then it goes in alot easier.