Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Locked my keys in while engine running.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locked my keys in while engine running.

I cant understand how it could happen on my S60 2005?

I was at car wash vacuming with all doors open/ajar and engine running. After a few minutes of cleaning I went around shutting the doors. I then tried to get in and noticed all the doors and trunck were locked. Fortunately I had someone deliver my spare key but now I am afraid to leave the key in the ignition with me not in the car. The only explanation I can come up with is that the doors even though they were open automatically locked themselves. When I slammed them shut they didnt unlatch.

Any ideas?

Thanks

ImOk

Old 03-06-2006, 09:33 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Locked my keys in while engine running.

That is strange. The drivers door is supposed to stay unlocked at all times with the key in the ignition.

The only thing I can think of is you Accidently manually pushed the lock down.

Old 03-07-2006, 12:38 AM

I couldnt have since all four doors were open.

I sat in the car today with the engine running. I opened the driver side door pushed the latch to lock. It automatically kept popping up. I even tried the passenger side. I m going to perform the experiment with all four doors open, wait ten minutes with engine running. Who knows, maybe there is a bug in their software.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:12 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Could very well be.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:20 AM

get triple AAA, they have a device that can pry open the door a little - called a slim jack - and they can open your car with this clever device..
they also give gas incase you run out, tow your car if it brakes down, change the spare, and more.....
you probably already know about triple AAA but its only a few bucks a month....

i did the same thing you did by locking my keys in the car with it running, only i hit the lock button, lol....
Triple AAA came and open the car for me, it took them 30 minutes to come and do it.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:31 AM

ORIGINAL: gordon368

Triple AAA came and open the car for me, it took them 30 minutes to come and do it.

Sweet Jesus!!! Thats unheard of, at least around the Philadelphia area. I would never waste money on AAA. I know first hand of many horror stories. At least they are usueful somewhere.

One of the worst was a guy who hit a deer. Called AAA, they told him they would be out within 1-2 hours! Nine (9) hours later the tow truck arrived.

Old 03-07-2006, 02:20 AM

maybe I was lucky..... heh

Old 03-07-2006, 10:44 AM

That is weird, i tried to do that to my S40 and nothing would keep the door locks closed when the key was in the ignition. even pressing it manually. Car was not even running.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:15 PM

that's weird, so matter how hard you tried you could not keep your keys locked in the car with the keys in the ignition?....probably programmed that way.

Old 03-07-2006, 02:18 PM

Unless i leave them on the seat. But if they are in the ignition the doors will not lock. even if you use the remote. The only reason I know this is in Canada it gets pretty cold and I dont like to start car and then shut it off 2 mins later when i stop at the store. I used to split keys in my gm. I take door key, lock doors with car still running.

Old 03-08-2006, 02:26 AM

A ghost perhaps? [:-]

Old 03-22-2006, 11:34 AM

Hi everyone,

I found one way I can lock my keys in the car with the engine running.
(WARNING: If you try this make sure you have the window open to get in your car )

1) Remove key

2) Stand outside with door open

3) Press lock (door latches will lock)

4) Sit in car and start engine (leave the door open/ajar, door latches are still down)

5) Get out of car with engine is still running

6) Slam door shut (Door lacthe is locked and engine running!)

If someone would try this even on a different car. I think the S60 has a minor bug in the logic with this mechanism. WHat should have happened in step 6 was for the doors to unlock when I slammed them closed since the key/engine is running. Maybe they have a software fix. I heard one more person getting locked out like this but they didnt know why either.

My only question is: Do the latches lock automatically if the car has no key (and doors were open/ajar?).
If not, I may have by accident pressed the lock button (which I hate cause you never know if you will unlock or lock unless you take 10 seconds to think about it) and closed the doors without realizing it.

Old 03-22-2006, 02:30 PM

not in my S40, there seems to be no way to lock doors with car running, unless i slide out the open window. Seein and you are farting around you might want to try this one. Works on S40. use the trunk release button on your remote only, do not unlock doors. open trunk and close it again, dont arm the system again and open truck, this sets off my alarm. I think it is pretty sweet.

Old 03-22-2006, 02:31 PM

sorry car was not running, just key in ignition

Old 03-23-2006, 11:05 AM

I did the test again to be sure that I still have this problem and I can lock my keys in the car.

My S60 has one exception from factory with regards to this. I wanted to have the automatic door locking when I drive off. So the dealer upgraded the software to do this. Maybe this upgrade is causing this behavior.

Old 03-23-2006, 12:46 PM

AHHH, I bet thats what happened. I had that in my Olds, hated it. Maybe if I lived in Cali and was getting jacked or somthing

Old 11-20-2010, 07:48 PM
Default locking doors while engine running

i live in western canada where its currently -25C and there is a need to lock your vehicle while its running to warm it up, the dealership tells me there is no way to do this on my new 2010 xc90.

im a firstime volvo owner and love the new car but this is not something i anticipated having as a problem.

thanks

Scott

Old 05-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Default Locking Car with engine running

Lock all doors with lock button while inside. Exit the driver's door pulling up on lock plunger first (do not use the lock button), or just open the door. This will leave the remaining doors locked. Push down the lock plunger (not the lock button). Hold the plunger down gently while the car attempts to lock the door. This will keep the door from unlocking. Shut the driver's door. All doors should now be locked with the engine running.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:37 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sometimes the car "unlocks" but only pushes the locking latch halfway and then it falls back down. so perhaps the car things its unlocked when your still stuck out side throwing away gas.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by ImOk
I cant understand how it could happen on my S60 2005?

I was at car wash vacuming with all doors open/ajar and engine running. After a few minutes of cleaning I went around shutting the doors. I then tried to get in and noticed all the doors and trunck were locked. Fortunately I had someone deliver my spare key but now I am afraid to leave the key in the ignition with me not in the car. The only explanation I can come up with is that the doors even though they were open automatically locked themselves. When I slammed them shut they didnt unlatch.

Any ideas?

Thanks

ImOk
Same thing happened to me last night. I also have a S60 2005. I was parked outside my garage with the engine running. I opened the garage door after closing the driver door. I went to get back in my car and it was locked.

Quick Reply: Locked my keys in while engine running.