Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

How can I disable the automatic headlights & is there a manual trunk release lever?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 07:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I disable the automatic headlights & is there a manual trunk release lever?

I bought this car used, and it didn't have the manual with it.

Actually the daytime lights, to me, seem wasteful. I've been plenty safe in other cars without daytime lights on. I've had the car for under a month (used 2007) and already had to replace two bulbs. That seems very strange to me. (I had my last car for 14 years and probably only changed my rear bulbs about 4 times.) I think it just runs out the bulbs way too quick. I'd rather just turn on the lights when I need them. Is there a way to do this?

Also, is there a manual trunk release button for when I'm inside the car?
As of right now, I have to use the remote button, but it only works if I'm directly in front of the trunk. I have to take the key out of the ignition and take it with me, just to get something out real quick. I just can't figure out where the release lever is ????

Last edited by rhopper; 11-03-2015 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by rhopper
I bought this car used, and it didn't have the manual with it.

Actually the daytime lights, to me, seem wasteful. I've been plenty safe in other cars without daytime lights on. I've had the car for under a month (used 2007) and already had to replace two bulbs. That seems very strange to me. (I had my last car for 14 years and probably only changed my rear bulbs about 4 times.) I think it just runs out the bulbs way too quick. I'd rather just turn on the lights when I need them. Is there a way to do this?

Also, is there a manual trunk release button for when I'm inside the car?
As of right now, I have to use the remote button, but it only works if I'm directly in front of the trunk. I have to take the key out of the ignition and take it with me, just to get something out real quick. I just can't figure out where the release lever is ????
I think only the dealer has the equipment to plug in and disable the daytime lights.
Trunk release lever is in between the licence plate lights, I discovered it only by accident!

Old 11-05-2015, 06:00 AM

As for DRL, two of my cars have them, they have not been a problem. Actually I prefer them. I have one vehicle without them and I wish that it had them. You are not replacing bulbs that quickly because of the running lights, something else it causing them to burn out prematurely.

Ever since I have had my Volvo S40, the key does not work for trunk. What I did was tied on a piece of rope to the release and leave it going into back seat, from there a little yank and trunk opens, has worked very well for me over a year like this.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:54 PM
Lightbulb Bulbs

Funny but I used to think the same way about lights on in the daytime. I would just turn them off and on when I needed. I soon found that was bad to do that because the bulbs would burn out faster. Now I just leave them on and they seem to last longer.

Old 11-07-2015, 12:10 PM

The dealership can disable the DRL's, I don't think there's a way to do it at home.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default DRLs

If you have VIDA you can disable the daytime running lights easily. I did this on mine because I switched from factory Xenon to regular lights and the light failure warning came on every time I started the car. Now it only comes on when I use the headlights. Unfortunately there is no way to program the car for headlights that don't self stabilize.