Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Interior fan won't shut off

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 05:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interior fan won't shut off

I was driving the other day, turned the **** for fan speed...nothin'. Then later that day, the fan turned on full blast all by itself, and wouldn't shut off. Even when the car was parked with the engine off and the keys removed from ignition.

I pulled the fuse so that it wouldn't stay on endlessly into eternity, but I do want this feature back at some point.

I don't know if this could be related, but about a month ago, I installed a device to allow the option of playing my music from my phone, and the process included removing stereo unit (whatever it's called...the controls for the fan are on it, too.)

Any suggestions?

Old 03-29-2016, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this issue very briefly sometime after installing an disc changer auxiliary adapter for MP3 players in my S60 about three years ago.

To my memory, I believe disconnecting the negative terminal from the car battery located in the spare wheel well, for a hard reset resolves this issue. I don't fully remember what I did in order to resolve this issue, but I haven't had it since.

Your ECT fuse could've been affected by the adapter, but I doubt it. Any further, or necessary insight from more experienced S60 owners in terms of this issue would be appreciated!

Old 03-30-2016, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jeney
I was driving the other day, turned the **** for fan speed...nothin'. Then later that day, the fan turned on full blast all by itself, and wouldn't shut off. Even when the car was parked with the engine off and the keys removed from ignition.

I pulled the fuse so that it wouldn't stay on endlessly into eternity, but I do want this feature back at some point.

I don't know if this could be related, but about a month ago, I installed a device to allow the option of playing my music from my phone, and the process included removing stereo unit (whatever it's called...the controls for the fan are on it, too.)

Any suggestions?
I had this problem before and it seems to be the "blower motor resistor" I am planning on installing a relay in place of this because I put it on full blast when I use it anyways. Hope this helps!

Old 04-16-2016, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by zerorisers
I had this problem before and it seems to be the "blower motor resistor" I am planning on installing a relay in place of this because I put it on full blast when I use it anyways. Hope this helps!
I purchased a blower motor resistor and am anxious to install it. Did you know that there are approximately 4,000 videos and posts about blower motors, and as many videos and posts for blower motor resistors in every other Volvo other than a 2005 S60 (or comparable)?

My fingers and eyes grow weary from the hunt. Could you point me to instructions of any sort that would at least get me started?

Old 04-17-2016, 09:10 PM

UPDATE: I found a great tutorial, located here: http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...ic.php?t=21343

Now I have a different problem. I got to the part where I'm unscrewing the blower motor from beneath the dashboard. I have to have the carpet pulled back, my head pinning it down while also wedged into the far edge of the passenger floorboard. One hand holding my iPhone for its flashlight app, the other a screwdriver. Facing skyward, upside down, and with my legs out the door and pointed towards the sky. Thirty-five minutes later and all but three screws are out, and they are fully corroded. Fully corroded!

I look like I've been both dipped in a vat of water, and burned by the heat of a thousand suns, that's how sweaty and red I am.

Now what?? ASSISTANCE REQUIRED!

Old 04-18-2016, 08:35 AM

I purchased a blower motor resistor and am anxious to install it. Did you know that there are approximately 4,000 videos and posts about blower motors, and as many videos and posts for blower motor resistors in every other Volvo other than a 2005 S60 (or comparable)?

My fingers and eyes grow weary from the hunt. Could you point me to instructions of any sort that would at least get me started?
I would assume it is the same as some of the other s60's. I personally used the VADIS software on an old laptop to get the instructions on how to remove the blower motor itself. The construction is pretty easy to understand from there, but any old youtube video on removing from an s60 should do even if it is not 100% accurate for your car. You seem smart enough to handle an extra screw or two. :P

I actually put a light switch in the glove box because I was too lazy to solder terminals to the relay, but having the actual part works so much better! I personally don't work on cars too much, just electrical, and manufacturing.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:40 AM

I guess my other reply didn't make the moderator's cut (or okay, maybe user error.)

I had a hell of a time getting those screws out, and I nearly wore out my voice with muffled obscenities, but I did it. Resistor is installed, and I'm enjoying my a/c again!

Old 04-20-2016, 08:25 AM

I guess my other reply didn't make the moderator's cut (or okay, maybe user error.)

I had a hell of a time getting those screws out, and I nearly wore out my voice with muffled obscenities, but I did it. Resistor is installed, and I'm enjoying my a/c again!
I had the same problem, had to use a small Allen wrench when I did it. A big pain when you can only do a quarter to half a turn at a time! Glad to hear you where able to do it yourself.

I think the problem with the blower motor resistor is that it doesn't have any ESD protection for the ELMO chip. One day I will find a way to properly take the resistor apart, and install a zener diode across a few of the pins to keep the voltage regulated under 14v (The resin is almost impossible to take out without ruining the board.) But that all may be boring to most people. lol.