Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

intermitent "low oil pressure, turn off engine" indicator

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermitent "low oil pressure, turn off engine" indicator

s60 2.4T AWD 2002

i've recently started getting the "low oile pressure, turn off engine" message intermitently after the car was driven very little for 2 months(it was in a shop and from what i know they started the engine twice a day to take it out and put it back in the garage in the evening, so less than 5 mins of running time a day)

there's no code just the message that dissapears when i turn off and start the engine again.
it first came on after picking up the car from the shop after 2 months of minimum driving as described above.

since then i took it to volvo who said it could be the oil pump but can't say forsure. maybe it was the old oil and i should keep en eye on it if it shows up again.
after volvo had it it was fine for about 900 km(mostly highway).
i changed the oil at volvo(so the good stuff is in it) and did about 300km.
and yesterday when i was slowly crawling through some tigh streets the message started showing up intermitently, for half of second, then went away.
it did that for about 10 minutes of slow driving until i decided to turn off the engine and start it up again and it dissapeared.

did another 200km of highway/city since then and no issues. engine runs just fine and pulls well, oil level is ok. since volvo changed the oil recently i'm pretty sure there's no leak or anything.

could this be just a faulty sensor or should i be looking into changing the oil pump? is the oil pump a normal thing to go on these cars? i hear it's not cheap.

or could it be a real problem since it only shows in city driving and never on the highway?(at least not so far)

thanks!

Old 10-25-2011, 08:46 PM

Interesting. I just started getting that message myself.

I have an 02 2.4T.

I say interesting because you described it only happening during low speed driving. I was just letting my daughter practice in a store parking lot for about 5 - 10 minutes. Then I drove the 1 mile back to my house, as I was pulling into the garage I saw the message.

Same as you, there is no leaking and the oil level is fine. I'm between 4 & 5K miles on this oil change.

I'm wondering if it's just something about driving low speeds.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by redness44
Interesting. I just started getting that message myself.

I have an 02 2.4T.

I say interesting because you described it only happening during low speed driving. I was just letting my daughter practice in a store parking lot for about 5 - 10 minutes. Then I drove the 1 mile back to my house, as I was pulling into the garage I saw the message.

Same as you, there is no leaking and the oil level is fine. I'm between 4 & 5K miles on this oil change.

I'm wondering if it's just something about driving low speeds.

apparently it happens at low speeds when there's not enough pressure.

After reading some more people say first steps you should take is check the oil level(obviously) and after getting the engine at running temperature pull the dipstick and check for air bubbles in the oil on it.

if that happens it could be a worn gasket or a seal and the system is sucking air in. that's not gonna be cheap apparently, the kit is cheap but there is some labor involved, about 3.5 hours to remove oil pan, clean etc..

just checked for bubbles this morning and looks like that's my problem so i'll take it to volvo for a diagnostic check, they'll probably have to change the above and hurt my pocket but i hear it could go really bad really fast and i don't need a blown engine. seems to be a common issue(more or less)

the easiest would be a fauly sensor but from my searches it's usually not that.
still you can take it to fit a manual gauge which will check the oil pressure at different rpm's and that will tell you if it's the oil pressure sensor or not.

the worst case scenario would be the oil pump(part is kind of expensive) but i hear those rarely go, volvo shops say they only changed a few of those over the years.

either way it's gonna cost me and suggest you check for air bubbles too and take action before it gets worst that's probably gonna be the issue anyway.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:14 PM

Most likely bad o-rings in the oil pan causing aeration of the oil, a common problem when the o-rings get old and brittle

Old 10-27-2011, 05:33 AM

Dang it man!!

This is my first Volvo. I bought it in August after hearing positive things from the few others that were familiar with them. Also the dealership mechanic agreed that this particular engine was the best they made.

Since buying I've got a slow coolant leak. Nothing I can see, it just goes low and I get the warning message for low coolant, I've got some clicking in my front end while turning and now this with the oil.

So far, I'm not impressed with Volvo. It only has 142K miles. Maybe the previous owners saw the writing on the wall and got rid of it.

BTW... Thanks brain3000 and volvotech06 for the direction

Old 10-27-2011, 01:43 PM

well folks.. I finally got a break..

turns out it was just a loose wire causing incorrect signals to be sent the oil pump(hope i got that right from the mechanic).
i understood the wire on the side of the engine which is where the sensor is.

my tranny was taken out and put back in and probaly that's when they touched the wire.

I'll keep an eye on it see what happens but hope that's the end of that..

redness i hope it turns out to be something as easy as a sensor and you get off easy.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:53 AM

That's good to hear brain3000.

I checked for air bubbles and I didn't see any. At this point I'm just going to keep driving it until it happens again. If I happen to put it in the shop for something else I might have them investigate. But in the meantime, just keep driving. Maybe even put a "For Sale" sign on it.