Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Just Bought S60 Type R, Need Guidance

Old 03-06-2017, 03:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Bought S60 Type R, Need Guidance

Hey guys. I'm new to the volvo forums. I started at Turbobricks with my 1990 760 Turbo Wagon. Drove and modded that car for quite a bit without destroying the motor! . Now I have bought a used heavy modded 2004 S60 Type R AWD 2.5L. I made the mistake of not taking it to the garage to get it inspected and there are problems. I would like guidance on what my next steps should be since I am stuck with the car with the good and bad.

Here is the description of the car:

"480 HP S60R"
new timing belt/waterpump/tensioners
K24 Turbo W/ Upgraded Internals
Spec Stage 3 Clutch Kit
w/ Spec Solid Flywheel
Elevate Tuning 27 PSi
480 HP ECU tune
Forged Internals/Piston Rods/ OEM Head
Gasket Set Replaced
IPD Ignition Coils
Ipd Solid Strut Tower
Mounts
IPD POlyurethane Lower
Transmission Mount
Ipd Polyurethan control arm bushing
Elevate intake box, with Snabb silicone intake
IPD Heavy Duty Turbo Control Valve
3.5 inch elevate downpipe
AEM Methanol Injection
Snabb 3-inch Core front mounted Intercooler w Aluminum Charge Pipes
Volvo R OEM Rotrs and Pads replaced
255/45 /18 Tires
Aluminum Blow off Valve
Boost+AFR+Oil Pressure gauge

A few gripes after driving it back home(bought in Tallehassee FL, Drove to Valdosta GA).

Turn Signal Blinker switch i have to wiggle a little to get it to start blinking.
MASSIVELY LOUD whine when pushing down the throttle. Kind've sounds like a sucking air noise. I have no way to describe it. It is especially noticeable at 6th Gear on the highway.
Tire Rub at Max turn angle due to the bigger 255s
Yellow Triangle Light(Is this check engine Light?)
I kinda suck at manuals atm.

So could you guys tell me what I should do? The seller didn't have proof of dyno sheets of the car producing said 480 HP. I want you guys to tell me how big of a mistake I have made and what I can do in my situation. I should've at least brought a OBDII sensor, how I regret not checking this. The Methanol injection resevoir is in the trunk and it is empty. He said the car has cut down boost to 20 lbs and cut timing until i refill the reservoir. So I just need to refill it right Half Methanol and half distilled water? Car is pretty fast but it feels remarkably smoother than my 90 760 Turbo. However I feel my modded Volvo 760 19T Turbo is actually a lot "noticeable" at pulls. I put blood and sweat into my 90 760 Turbo Wagon so I know "alot!" about the car but I have no idea about these 5 cylinder whiteblock motors. I come from the tractor 4 cylinder redblock motors.

You guys think i should go to a dyno to check the hp figure? Is it bad practice to copy and paste this to sweedespeed? What the heck is the K24 turbo? I looked at it and it looks pretty decent sized. It spools remakably fast but boost doesn't feel as noticeable as my 19T automatic transmission Wagon. You guys think Im just freaking about and actually made a good buying decision? Vin is clean.

Last edited by Fumomike; 03-06-2017 at 03:52 AM.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:09 AM

OBDII codes would be nice

Old 03-07-2017, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Volvisiman
OBDII codes would be nice
Hey, Volvisiman! Thanks for the reply mate. I got the codes from Autozone today. It's P0805 Clutch Position Sensor Circuit. Also, have some softcodes of a yellow and red triangle on the dash, but it doesn't show up with the free Autozone check. SRS Airbag code.

1rst noise is localized near the power steering pump and belt area 2nd noise I have no idea, It only happens during 6th gear on the highway.

Also is leaking radiator fluid somewhere. It's a slow leak but enough for me to see the "low coolant fluid" message on the dash after four days of driving. I guess its like half a quart after four days. I see radiator fluid on top of the valve cover where the aluminum charge pipe goes over the top of the engine and coil packs but not sure where it is coming from. Is the little hose next to the coil packs a radiator hose that goes into the head?

These cars look impossible to work on compared to the block motor I've become accustomed to lol.

Last edited by Fumomike; 03-07-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:25 PM

P0805 Clutch Position Sensor Circuit
My need to get a new Sensor there it will couse problems with the trottle body

255/45 /18 Tires
Your Tires should be 235/40 18¨

Also is leaking radiator fluid somewhere
Buy a new Radiator Coolant Overflow Expansion CAP

Regarding noise check first out if you have Vaccum leaks just manually feel and inspect the hoses and use a waterbottle to check the hoses and intake manifold for leaks

Old 03-08-2017, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Volvisiman
My need to get a new Sensor there it will couse problems with the trottle body

Your Tires should be 235/40 18¨

Buy a new Radiator Coolant Overflow Expansion CAP

Regarding noise check first out if you have Vaccum leaks just manually feel and inspect the hoses and use a waterbottle to check the hoses and intake manifold for leaks
TY yo. Im going to try to start with the cap and get someone to look at it.

Old 03-11-2017, 04:07 PM

Got a new cap for the radiator. Still is leaking somewhere . You think I should get it pressure tested? Im pretty sure the noise is coming from the power steering area. Either serpentine belt or power steering pump/pulley. Should i go ahead and buy the Clutch position sensor?

Old 03-12-2017, 04:06 AM

Check the CPS with a DMM
Supply Voltage = 5v
Unaffected pedal =1400-2400 ohms 3.3v
Fully Depressed pedal = 200-800 ohms 2.2v
terminals 2 and 4

Yes pressure test the cooling system

Check the condition of the oil on both the oil stick and the oil cap (check seal on oil cap)

Check the steering fluid level

Get rid of air in the Power Steering system by jacking up the front wheels and turning the steering full circle a few times

Get a pressure washer and clean where the steering meets the pinions

sry I did edit this

Last edited by Volvisiman; 03-12-2017 at 04:16 AM.