Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Key stuck in ignition and gear shifter stuck in Park.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key stuck in ignition and gear shifter stuck in Park.

Hello,

I own a 2005 S60 and I recently ran into two issues that may or may not be related.

Issue one: When I turn off the engine, the key gets stuck in the igntion. This only happens sometimes and I get it unstuck by moving it arond a bit, turning the steering wheel has no effect.

Issue two: The gear shifter gets stuck in Park (only sometimes) and the only way to get it to move is by turning the steering wheel. When I step on the brake I can hear the shifter locking mechanism engaging and disengaging.

Both of these issues popped up around the same time which leads me to believe that there's a common root to the problems. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 02-11-2010, 04:20 PM

The ignition/shift interlock cable is likely loose on one of the ends, probably in the ignition.

You'll have to pull the column cover. I emailed the schematics to another member last month, let me see if I can't find them and post them here.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:23 AM

Problem solved. It turns out that a while back I spilled water on the console and now that the temperatures dropped below freezing (I'm in VA), the white plastic piece which is connected to the ignition/shift interlock cable and which locks the shifter in Park when the key is not in the ignition and also locks the key in the ignition when the shifter is not in the Park position seizes either in the locked or unlocked position.
When it seizes in the unlocked position, the gears can be changed but the key can't be removed from the ignition. On the other hand, when it seizes in the locked position, the key can be inserted and removed but the shifter is stuck in Park.
Anyway, I hope this explanation is not too confusing.

Last edited by Obelix; 02-12-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:48 PM

Spot on.

Glad to hear you got it figured out.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:28 PM

today i got into my 99 volvo s70, i turn the car on put my foot on the break but the shifter would not leave the park position. but unlike the other problems i read on here i can still remove and insert the key.
anyhelp asap will be very grateful! thanks

Old 05-29-2011, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Obelix
Problem solved. It turns out that a while back I spilled water on the console and now that the temperatures dropped below freezing (I'm in VA), the white plastic piece which is connected to the ignition/shift interlock cable and which locks the shifter in Park when the key is not in the ignition and also locks the key in the ignition when the shifter is not in the Park position seizes either in the locked or unlocked position.
When it seizes in the unlocked position, the gears can be changed but the key can't be removed from the ignition. On the other hand, when it seizes in the locked position, the key can be inserted and removed but the shifter is stuck in Park.
Hi I'm having the same problem with my 2005 Volvo S60. I did not follow your explanation about the freezing temperatures. I am hoping you might be able to explain how you fixed the problem. My key is locking and for last couple of days, the car is getting stuck in PARK. Hoping we can fix at home to avoid dealership costs.
Thanks for any help!

Old 11-01-2013, 09:39 PM
Default 2005 Volvo S60 Key stuck in ignition gear **** stuck also

I am having the same problem and it is every time I try to pull the key out of the ignition and the gear shift is stuck in park every time I get the key out and then start the car again. Anyone know what it will cost to get it fixed? I don't have the ability to fix myself.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:40 PM

How much would a good guess be on the cost to get this fixed? I am having the same problem and freezing temperature has nothing to do with it.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:07 PM

Michael are you saying the key operates normally as in you can start the car but not get the shifter out of park, but the key will comes out normally when you turn off ignition.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:51 PM

Im having the same problem and just started yesterday. Key wont come out. Somehow after several minutes of playing with the key and shifter it comes out. When i go to put it in later and start its hard to get it out of park. Tonight the key just wont come out and my toddler son and i are just sitting here in the car stuck. Can anyone tell me what i can do to fix this while im sitting here in the parking lot. Im a single dad and have no one around here to help. Please someone help me asapy

Old 11-25-2013, 06:34 PM
Default 2005 Volvo S60 Key stuck in ignition gear

Of course, I have the same problem, but recently found the exact cause.. (not the exact fix btw).
The stick shift, has that button on it, to allow for moving into gear.. park, drive , etc..
Noted after having this problem for several months, that that button on my stick shift is sticking .. not a lot , but enough to stop the ignition from releasing the key.
Manually pulling out the button, which is still fairly easy, releases the key..

Now, anyone know how I might push some graphite lubricant into whatever area is sticking ?

Old 11-26-2013, 12:14 PM

I have a bad ignition cylinder lock and I'm looking to bypass all this anti theft crap to be able to start and drive the car. Is there a way to bypass the interlock so you can shift out of park without the key in the ignition?

Old 02-23-2014, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by JTapper
The ignition/shift interlock cable is likely loose on one of the ends, probably in the ignition.

You'll have to pull the column cover. I emailed the schematics to another member last month, let me see if I can't find them and post them here.
I'm experiencing a problem with my XC90 where the key can't be removed and will not turn to the off position. It started happening randomly and now seems to be 90% of the time. You had mentioned in an earlier post about a "loose" interlock cable. Any help with this issue would be appreciated.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:15 AM

I recommend getting in the console and giving the interlock cable a thorough cleaning. At least that's what worked for me when I was having the same problem due to spilled water.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by JTapper

Was wondering if you could email me the systematics on how to correct this problem. I'm having the exact same issues and I would really appreciate the help

Old 02-22-2020, 09:36 AM
Default Same problem

Originally Posted by Obelix
Same problem did the thaw fix it?

Old 02-22-2020, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

really old post so I hope its sorted out by now :-) the take away here is there's an interplay between the shifter and the key. If you have trouble removing a key, take the time to check out the shifter.

Old 06-20-2022, 08:40 AM

Interesting. What exactly did you do with the "white plastic piece"? I have an S40 2000 automatic, and I think I have the same problem, i.e. with ignition/shift cable.