Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

LED replacement bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 10:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LED replacement bulbs

Can anyone tell me how to:

· Remove the interior bulbs form the overhead consoles (front and rear)?
· Remove the side mirror puddle lights?
· Remove the vanity/sunshade lights?

List of bulbs I want to replace with LED’s:
· Rear license plate
· Front daytime running lights
· Puddle lights (NO OEM size provided in manual)
· All interior lights / trunk

Anyone have a complete list of what bulbs are needed to do the whole car?

Recommendations on where to purchase LED replacements that will not through a code?

Many thanks
DMac

Old 10-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried doing the same and it caused a bunch of problems, especially with the interior. The Upper Equipment Module will shut itself off thinking there is a short in the system and it must be reset by removing the fuse for a few moments (or the battery, but the fuse is easier!). The only place I was able to find LEDs with resistors was on Ebay. The typical solution is to splice the resistors in yourself, but that could get messy for the interior; however, here is plenty of room for the tail lights.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting – When you are referring to the “Upper Equipment Module” you are talking about the front overhead map light housing.

I was at the dealership the other day and asked for some advice as how to get to the bulbs.
I spoke of my plans to pop in some LED’s and was cautioned that it “may” at the least trigger a bulb out message and that the “module” is just another of the many computers in these cars. It could affect a bunch of things from the sun-roof, radio, dash lights and more. (Now I am a bit worried about doing this).

At what point in time will the world stop over engineering things?
(I know never – The more complicated and not end user friendly the more money comes back to these companies via service work)

I like the fact that the car will let you know you have a headlight or taillight out…
But if an interior light fails; what’s the big deal? A – I will see that it is out & B – I won’t get pulled over for a safety issue. So why complicate things? PITB

The tech told me how to get to the bulbs and said if I were to proceed that it would be best to use CANBUS/resistor loaded LED’s.
Crap those are expensive! (Even on E-bay).

I was just going to pull one of the bulbs out to see if it would throw a message – If not I would think that it was no big deal.
But if it does I will have to pony up and spend the bucks if I want to up upgrade.

Has anyone else out there accomplished a sucssesful LED upgrade?
If so please share some details.

I wonder if the other bulbs in the interior would have the same issues? (Foot wells, trunk, puddle lights etc…)
Any info would be appreciated.
D

Old 04-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Default Canbus

Has anyone beeen successful using CANBUS LED's or did anyone get the non CANBUS LED's to work with no issues? I have an 01 S80 T6 and I already placed an order on eBay without thinking about the CANBUS

Old 06-19-2012, 08:55 PM
Default LED Replacement for Dome lights and courtesy lights

I went to LED Lights, Bulbs & Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS and put in my Volvo S60 R with HID lights and bought blue LEDs for the trunk, dome lights, and courtesy lights. The trunk and courtesy lights were all the same and required a little moving of the contacts to make them work. The Dome lights were all the same and fit decently. After replacing all the lights everything worked pretty good except the dome lights remained dimmly lit while I was driving at night. Blue dimmly lit LEDs make it hard to see the rear view mirror. I emailed the company and was told to buy their 1/4 watt 820 ohm resistors and put them across the contacts for the bulbs. I went to Radio Shack and got a 470 Ohm and 330 Ohm set of resistors, twisted the ends of both resisters together giving me 800 Ohms, connected each side to the bulb holder, then reinstalled the LEDs and everything works. I did have to reset the main control by disconnecting the negative on the battery for 15 minutes since I tripped it somehow when I first installed one of the resistors. Now the interior of my car and trunk glow in a brilliant blue. Its great.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:09 AM
Default More LED problems

So I just ordered some LED bulbs for my rear cluster. One amber 36 LED turn signal bulb, and one 45 LED for reverse bulb for each side. All is good except for fault error on turn signals.

Am I assuming that I need resistors on those turn signals, any ideas, 50W 6 ohms?

Also replaced all interiors bulbs to the 8 LED Festoon Dome Light Bulbs Lamp Xenon White. Color is great. But the problem is the functionality of those bulbs. They do light up bright when entering the XC90, then dim half way, BUT stay as dimmed on during driving at night, not sure yet on daytime. Also when I unlock/lock vehicle with key fob, they stay on as dimmed while vehicle in unlocked during those functions, but when I lock with key fob they turn off completely. I kept one LED and one OEM bulb in the front map lights, and noticed that when one OEM is connected, they work fine. Is it because the OEM is drawing more power, do I need resistors on all these led bulbs inside?

Old 03-20-2013, 06:14 AM
Default LED replacements

My LEDs are still working and I have added LEDs in my exterior mirror lights, my license plate lights, my back up lights, and a few other places. Best bet is to always put 800 ohms worth of resisters across the bulbs. This will keep them from remaining lit and tells the car that their is actually a bulb there. Read my post from June 2012.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here is mine on S80..which is same layout:

Old 05-03-2013, 04:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think there is also a video on youtube on S60 (buts its from UK)

Old 07-31-2013, 03:43 PM

Any bulbs will do, iv fitted my 56 s60 with all the interior, boot, and sidelights with leds and no messages all are can bus ready and I done all within 30 quid

Old 07-31-2013, 03:46 PM

Hi iv done a full led upgrade within 30 pound, Includes 8 festoon style 3 led lights for inside 2 for the boot iv also put in two x 6 leds for the number plate and 2x16 led sidelight bulbs for the front all with no faults. All bulbs bought from eBay and CANBUS ready

Old 02-19-2014, 11:08 PM

I've been using these in my V90 rear turn signals, and they're incredibly bright. Like, shockingly bright. Kinda pricey, though.

Lumen® - Volvo V90 1997-1998 Rear Turn Signal LED Bulbs