Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

2012 T5 Wheel Bearing Replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 T5 Wheel Bearing Replacement.

Well, I'm new to the forum and thankfully, I was able to diagnose the issue pretty accurately because of some threads on here.

Symptoms: Noise from the front of the car at speed.
The noise could best be described as a warbling howl. My first inclination was tires but we had them R&B and inspected and it changed nothing. I searched the google and found some threads on this forum all pointing to Wheel Bearings.

Repair:
I have access to a fully equiped automotive repair center on the military base. I don't thing I'd do it without a lift. but its possible. You need a pretty heavy duty hydro press. at the minimum, take the knuckles to a machine or repair shop just to have the old pressed out and the new pressed in.

Just start taking parts off in this order
Wheels, Axle retaining bolt, brake caliper, Brake Rotor, dust shield, disconnect the tie rod, unscrew the wheels speed sensor and leave it connected to the car.

Loosen the bolt on the lower ball joint. Use a pry bar to apply force while knocking the lower arm with a mallet. Once you knock it loose, take the bolt off all the way and pry down hard while you move the knuckle over to the side. Once to the side, you can use a brass drift pin to drive the axle out of the bearing.

If you have a wedge of some kind, drive it up into the rear of the knuckle where it mates to the strut. This will spread the collar enough to slide off.

Once out, take the knuckle to the press and replace the bearing.

Reverse to put in.

I probably forgot something but just ask.

Attached Thumbnails 2012 T5 Wheel Bearing Replacement.-img_7332.jpg   2012 T5 Wheel Bearing Replacement.-img_7333.jpg