Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Missing Fuel Pressure Sensor

Old 05-23-2016, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing Fuel Pressure Sensor

I sincerely hope that I'm just stupid and my Fuel Pressure Sensor (FPS) really is in an obvious location....

I have a 2004 Volvo S60 2.5 AWD, and as far as I can tell, it has no FPS. I know that there is a recall on the part, but I don't have a certified dealer near where I live so I thought i'd do this 5 minute job by myself. I picked up an fps using one of those website tools to match the part to your car for $40 - way cheaper than gas + time to get to the closes certified dealer. But there is nothing that even looks like my new sensor or any other with 3 prongs.

I've taken out the air box, the top plastic cover with torx bolts, and the fuel rail. I've done some searching on the parts and it seems like some s60s even have a dwarfed fuel pressure regulator which they call a baffle or something like that... whatever - it is attached underneath the fuel - but not on mine.

I have the Haynes manual, apparently its a british version and it only shows procedures for diesel engine models...

doing some Wikipedia searches, there is some confusion around my specific year and model as far as engine model - I've boiled it down to the "B5254t4."

Wondering if anyone else has run into this or if anyone has any advice... can post pictures if necessary. hoping for a simple answer.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Can you post a picture of your fuel rail?

Old 05-24-2016, 04:07 PM

will take pics on my phone tonight but i grabbed this off the web:

this is what my fuel rail looks like - Schroeder valve to the right - weird half screw/nail/stopper thing with a flat head to the left.

5 injector holes, 1 hole on the bottom for the pressurized fuel to come into the rail - between injector 2 & 3

to reiterate - these are not my vehicle pics but it looks 100% like my sensor set up

(new to forums so hopefully the pics attach)

Attached Thumbnails Missing Fuel Pressure Sensor-fuel-rail-no-fps-2-right.jpg   Missing Fuel Pressure Sensor-no-fps-volvo-inline-5.jpg  
Old 05-24-2016, 04:17 PM

I'm getting high fuel pressure codes P2178; P2188 i belive - I was hoping to do this easy job before dropping $200 on a hot O2 sensor. this was my plan atleast.

I checked the pcv system and it seems to be clear. I could blow right through the check valve (in only one direction) underneath the intake manifold to the right. i visually checked the pcv "banjo nipple" right before the turbo and it wasn't dirty. 124K miles on the vehicle. new air filter, new fuel filter (code disappeared for a week after i did this in January).

just started running a little funny as it got warmer- started stumbling at idle/ stop lights - but it has had the codes since sometime in winter. comes back almost right away when cleared.

Last edited by duder11; 05-24-2016 at 04:35 PM. Reason: add additional info
Old 05-24-2016, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

check out dealer part sites like volvopartswarehouse.com or tascaparts.com - they have parts diagrams which may help you ID the location of specific bits...

Old 05-25-2016, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Your car does not have the demand controlled fuel pump. Those codes are not for high fuel pressure, they are for fuel trim. And just because there is a recall, it does not mean all vehicles are affected.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T
Your car does not have the demand controlled fuel pump. Those codes are not for high fuel pressure, they are for fuel trim. And just because there is a recall, it does not mean all vehicles are affected.

even though it's a 2004? shouldn't it fall under the umbrella of 2001-2004 s60 regardless?

Old 05-25-2016, 08:31 PM

looked up those parts websites - good to know about those for schematics in the future- but neither site is specific enough to address the missing fps issue

Old 05-25-2016, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by duder11
even though it's a 2004? shouldn't it fall under the umbrella of 2001-2004 s60 regardless?
Nope. The recall does not apply to every car just because it was the same make or year (obviously, since your car is a 2004 and does not even have a fuel pressure sensor).

As for those parts websites, they will show a sensor. Just because it shows it in a parts diagram does not mean it is there on every car. There are VIN breaks, option codes, emission codes and other considerations that a parts guy has to use to determine what parts on a diagram apply to a specific car.

Old 05-26-2016, 02:07 PM
Default my fuel rail

I called volvo - they said that my vehicle was indeed not one that was covered under the FPS recall or fuel pump. the only recall for my specific vin was a mislabeled vacuum line that was already fixed.

glad i called - found out that i am the 2nd owner (salvage title)

any way here are the pictures of my fuel rail anyway... so then maybe i'm looking for some advice as to what a logical next step would be

I was planning on potentially replacing the pcv oil box just to get it done as i've put 25,000 miles on (124K total) and I don't know if the previous owner had it done.

P2178 and P2188 codes again - fuel system too rich at idle bank 1 and fuel system to rich at idle

i replaced ignition coil #3 to stop a misfire problem, around the same time i replaced all fuel injectors, and spark plugs

so these are my mail problems...
CEL p2178 / p2188
vehicle stumbles at idle,
hard start is an issue,
dashboard display code reader mpg is way out of wack (maybe 160% off [too excellent of gasmileage- real time 16-18 intown / reads 25-30]) - consequently miles left is off also (reads way high)

I'm open to suggestions, but i'm still baffled that there is no FPS and no FPRegulator... and that my Haynes manual was so off...

Attached Thumbnails Missing Fuel Pressure Sensor-my-fuel-rail-1.jpg   Missing Fuel Pressure Sensor-my-fuel-rail-2.jpg  

Last edited by duder11; 05-26-2016 at 02:09 PM. Reason: add pics
Old 05-26-2016, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Make sure there are no intake leaks. Make sure fuel pressure is in spec. Make sure the injectors are not leaking (not likely, unless they were super cheap replacements. I doubt your old ones were bad to begin with)
Make sure the oil is full and clean (not contaminated with fuel).

Then it's likely a mass air flow sensor but could be an oxygen sensor

Old 05-27-2016, 04:38 PM

yeah it was a weird thing. i replaced all spark plugs driving got better, still had misfire codes for cyl 3- then replaced ignition coil. same result, got better but still code. just replaced all injectors, didn't think it would be right to do just one. but here's my thoughts...

if there was an air leak, or if extra air was getting in... wouldn't it be a lean code vs a rich code?

fuel pressure will prob be next test then. thanks for the advice.