Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help changing the headlight bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help changing the headlight bulbs

I have a 2007 S60 2.5T. I'm trying to change the low beam bulb on the passenger side, but I've run into a problem. When I look at the car manual, it simply says t open up the hood, pop off the cap over the back of the bulb cavity, and reach in there and change it. Only problem is, there's so much stuff directly behind that I don't even have enough space to fully take the cap off, let alone reach in there with more than half a finger.

I tried removing every bolt in sight to slide the entire unit straight out of the front of the car, but no luck there either. It seemed to still be anchored by something below. It's about 0 degrees Fahrenheit where I am right now, so I'd prefer not to go monkeying around under the car looking for more bolts unless I know that I have to. Also, I'm not sure if I should even be removing the unit because the manual made no mention of it in the entry on changing bulbs, so I don't want to unless someone who knows what they're talking about tells me it's ok.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:23 PM

Page through the S60 forum back to a thread about headlamp replacement dated Nov 11. It should give you the info you need.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:51 PM

just push the cables to one side, it is really not that difficult. I did both sides on my car in less than 5 minutes.
seriously persevere.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by crespo
just push the cables to one side, it is really not that difficult. I did both sides on my car in less than 5 minutes.
seriously persevere.
Thanks. It's dark right now so I can't go change it, but I know literally nothing at all about cars so I was very hesitant to force anything anywhere because I didn't want to break something.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:21 PM

Hi crespo, You made that sound so easy I went out to my 2001 S60 2.4T to see if I could see how to do it. I did not have any luck. There is a electrical plug hanging free right above the headlight assembly on the passenger side, do you know what that is for. After you turn and remove the round cover what kind of connection am I looking for, and how do they disconnect. Could you explain it in a little more detail cause it took me 5 minutes to look and see anything. LOL Thanks for the information in advance. mstrplmber

Old 02-02-2010, 05:42 AM

Ok my car is a 2001 so the s60's after 2004 may be slightly different but not too much i would imagine.
There are two covers one for dipped beam and side light and one for main beam turn your lights on and look at the headlight with no blown bulbs so you can see what cover to unscrew.
Unscrew the light cover so you can see the back of the bulbs and cables etc. (this is for dipped beam and side light) you will see a black connector block with cables coming out of it. (this is dipped beam) Pull out the block don't be shy it may take a bit of a tug.
This will expose the bulb which is held in with a metal bendy clip thing (looks like a bent paper clip) You will see it goes from top to bottom (top being nearest your head) At the top put your finger on the clip and push it to the side (should be to the left). This will allow the bulb to be released. Take note of the position of the bulb when you remove it as there is a little tab which has to be at the top when you replace the bulb with the new one.
Repeat procedure in reverse to refit.
For sidelight bulbs. There is a little white plug to the bottom of the dipped beam bulb. Just pull this and it will come out with the bulb attached. Remove the old bulb and replace. Simple.
If you are struggling to see grab a hand held vanity mirror and use that to have a good look around to familiarise yourself with the inside before you start.
The side next to the airfilter is the easiest to get at so i would practice there first.
This probably sounds way harder than it actually is and once you have cracked it you will kick yourself at how easy it is.
Good luck.

Last edited by crespo; 02-02-2010 at 05:46 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by mstrplmber
Hi crespo, You made that sound so easy I went out to my 2001 S60 2.4T to see if I could see how to do it. I did not have any luck. There is a electrical plug hanging free right above the headlight assembly on the passenger side, do you know what that is for. After you turn and remove the round cover what kind of connection am I looking for, and how do they disconnect. Could you explain it in a little more detail cause it took me 5 minutes to look and see anything. LOL Thanks for the information in advance. mstrplmber

Are you from the US. Im in England and we sit on the wrong side of the car here so the passenger side here is the drivers side in the US.
Let me know and i will investigate what your loose plug is.
I have a 2.4T so it should be the same under the hood as yours.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:32 AM

hi crespo, yes I am in the USA. I read your last post on this thread explaining how to change the headlights. I find it to be very useful information. If you could tell me what that plug is I would appreciate that. Thanks in advance 2001 S60 2.4T mstrplmber

Old 02-04-2010, 12:12 PM

A Volvo Tech told me the plug that was hanging was for headlight wipers which I do not have. Thanks to everyone mstrplmber