Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

New to Forum and New to me Volvo Owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Forum and New to me Volvo Owner

Hello, I recently took ownership of a 2004 S60 Non-Turbo.
It has a horrible Idle when it wants to start. Dove into the codes right away.
Has: ECM-310A, ECM-532D, CEM-6F71. And misfire on 2.
Looking at tackling the coils, RPM Sensor, then retesting. Any owners with insight to these problems?
Thanks

Old 02-16-2017, 01:42 PM

No Takers?

Old 02-17-2017, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

A quick search on your codes points to the crank position sensor (310A), the ETM (electronic throttle body) (523D) and the fuel filler door switch (!!! 6F71) The misfire could be the coil pack for #2 or the plugs - Coil packs do fail time to time after 100K miles so you can try swapping 2 with 3 say to see if the misfire moves with it or just replace the pack and install fresh plugs all around as a baseline. Also inspect the connector to the coils for cracks etc. For the ETM, you can start by cleaning it but its a common problem area. They are paired to the ECU so most people opt to ship out their ETMs for a rebuild (search for threads on the topic). The crank position sensor is not overly expensive - budget $75 or so for an OEM replacement, a few more for Genuine volvo. Personally I'd start with the easy - plugs/coil for #2, clean the throttle body, check the switch/connector to the filler door, reset codes and see what comes back. Next try replacing the crank sensor, last is get the ETM rebuilt if need be.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127
A quick search on your codes points to the crank position sensor (310A), the ETM (electronic throttle body) (523D) and the fuel filler door switch (!!! 6F71) The misfire could be the coil pack for #2 or the plugs - Coil packs do fail time to time after 100K miles so you can try swapping 2 with 3 say to see if the misfire moves with it or just replace the pack and install fresh plugs all around as a baseline. Also inspect the connector to the coils for cracks etc. For the ETM, you can start by cleaning it but its a common problem area. They are paired to the ECU so most people opt to ship out their ETMs for a rebuild (search for threads on the topic). The crank position sensor is not overly expensive - budget $75 or so for an OEM replacement, a few more for Genuine volvo. Personally I'd start with the easy - plugs/coil for #2, clean the throttle body, check the switch/connector to the filler door, reset codes and see what comes back. Next try replacing the crank sensor, last is get the ETM rebuilt if need be.
Thank you for the reply. Crank position sensor replaced. Plugs and coil packs replaced. ETM replaced. Filler door switch good. Car will not start. It popped off twice with rough idle then died. Hard restart. Feathered throttle pedal, and got it to stay running for a short while . Then it died again.