Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New to me 04 S60 trunk release problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me 04 S60 trunk release problem

Help my trunk release was working it stopped , any ideas the fuse checks out ok

First Post...just bought a 04 S60 2.4 made the jump from Saab, I must a much more comfortable car.

Norm

Old 09-27-2006, 11:01 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: New to me 04 S60 trunk release problem

Does anything els in the car not work?

Old 05-03-2010, 09:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just went online to search for a solution to my trunk release problem. Literally quit working with no warning. Key fob trunk release button does not work. Manual latch release above the license plate quit working as well. No other problems with the vehicle.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Default s60 trunk fault

i have the same problem with my s60,ive disconnected the electrics from the trunk lock and the boot locks but there`s a warning light on the dashboard saying boot open....boot = trunk in england

Old 05-06-2010, 05:56 PM

The trunk latches are known to fail. Mine did the same thing about a year ago. You can still access the trunk from the lock to the right of the manual release latch. There should be a little black plastic cover with a key on it. Pop that out, insert key, turn right, and there ya go.

I found that out after the dealer watched me climb through the pass through in the back seats to unlatch the the trunk via the Emergency release latch. I felt like an idiot but it was pretty funny.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:56 PM
Default Trunk Latch Failure

It would be easy to just ignore what I've discovered, but if a friend who has driven an S80 for 9 years didn't know, perhaps I can spare others the embarrassment.

After Internet searches, forum postings, diagram reviews, and latch removal, nothing corrected the unlocking trunk (except the key hole). Four days later I discovered an illuminated light on one of the buttons located on the dash behind the gear shift. That button was a picture of an open trunk and a key. Depress the button (turning off the light) and "Valet Lock Off" appears in the message display. Sure enough, my trunk opens using both the key fob and when depressing the latch below the license plate.

Sorry for the stupidity! I love my Volvo!

The following users liked this post:
Scudder824 (10-19-2020)
Old 05-21-2010, 11:09 PM

i have an s80 and mine stopped, and never came back now i just use the key. it will fail.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have this problem, make sure the valet lock of course is off. But, also check to see if you have tag lights and see if by any chance they come on when you open it or the switch works then. Harnesses in the trunk go bad often. Usually you can wiggle where it bends and you might find it works, you have to trip the lock with a screwdriver to test.

The following users liked this post:
Scudder824 (10-19-2020)
Old 09-19-2010, 08:59 PM
Default S60 2001 Trunk will not open

The trunk to my 2001 S60 suddenly would not open. When I bought the car there was no remote and only one key. Inserting the key and lifting worked and all of a sudden it didn't.

The issue was I had 2 new spare keys made and I kept one and gave the original to my Wife. Sure enough when I tried the original key it worked. So if you've had new keys made they might be the reason why the trunk won't open. Use an original key.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:50 AM

I own a volvo s40 '05 T5 2.5L, So i was having problems with the trunk not locking when i bought the car and i ordered a new lock such as this one.

http://www.myvolvopartsonline.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=215507&cha pter=&Sectionids=0,2822&groupid=51935&subgroupid=3 276&componentid=0&make=36&model=S40&year=2005&grap hicID=9726605&callout=7&catalogid=2&displayCatalog id=0

Its the 7

Anyway so i put it in and when i locked the trunk it wont open with the remote button, and only unlocks when i press the button above the license plate however once i try to slam it closed again it wont go simply bounces back, the only way i can get it closed after that is by holding the locking arm in the locked position and pressing the button above the license plate and i hear a gear switching, and then i slam it closed, i dont know what the problem is why cant the trunk simply open when i press the button on the remote and close once i shut the trunk?

Old 11-17-2010, 02:57 PM

Hi guys,
I am having the same issues with my 05 S40 T5 the latch seams to open by it self and I can hear the thing clicking. I have disconnected the wiring harness but the S40 doesn't have key to access the trunk. Has anyone found a real answer to this problem?

thanks

Old 10-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Default electronic trunk release not working

I got an 05 s60. The key fob button and the button on the trunk don't work when the trunk is closed and just under half open. When i open it a bit more both will start working.
Can't find any exposed wires that are shorting. Any ideas

Old 10-18-2012, 01:00 AM

did any one who have the trunk release problem checked fuse?

Check the Fuses in the cargo compartment, Trunk release is No. 6

Old 03-30-2014, 11:46 AM
Default Found the trunk release solution (2004 s-60)!

I think someone else also mentioned it - but just to be certain here is what I found:

My trunk suddenly would not open using either the remote or the trunk lid button above the license plate. Also the "Trunk Open" warning came on the dash even though it was definitely closed and locked. I could only open the trunk by inserting the key into the hidden trunk lock above the license plate.

Upon experimenting, I discovered that if I pushed the trunk latch into the locked position (using a finger or screwdriver) while the trunk lid was opened the "Trunk Open" dash warning went off and - the remotes and the trunk lid button both released the latch to the open position. However, whenever I did this test and then slowly lowered the trunk lid (with the latch in the locked position) the dash "Trunk Open" warning would flicker on as the lid was 2/3 lowered and once that warning light was on neither the remotes or trunk lid button worked. It was then I realized there was likely an intermittent break in the wires running from the trunk to the trunk lid. Sure enough, when I moved/wiggled the wire harness by the left side trunk hinge, I was able to make the "trunk Open" warning light flicker on/off.

So replacing that easy to replace wiring harness (part number for 2004 S-60 is 8645057 ~$70 online) fixes the issue.

Try it with your car and if you replicate my findings you now know the fix!

Old 01-17-2020, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by krush
It would be easy to just ignore what I've discovered, but if a friend who has driven an S80 for 9 years didn't know, perhaps I can spare others the embarrassment.

After Internet searches, forum postings, diagram reviews, and latch removal, nothing corrected the unlocking trunk (except the key hole). Four days later I discovered an illuminated light on one of the buttons located on the dash behind the gear shift. That button was a picture of an open trunk and a key. Depress the button (turning off the light) and "Valet Lock Off" appears in the message display. Sure enough, my trunk opens using both the key fob and when depressing the latch below the license plate.

Sorry for the stupidity! I love my Volvo!
I would just like to say thank you for the help! I found the button behind the shifter and now my trunk works!

Old 08-17-2023, 09:19 AM
Default 2003 Volvo S60 Trunk Release

All,

I too am having a problem with the trunk on my '03 S60. The button above the license plate stopped working. IDK if the trunk release on the keyfob ever worked. I can open the trunk by inserting the key. I checked the fuse, used a multimeter with a friend and verified the trunk release button is working. We do hear a faint noise (click, clunk, whatever) near the fuse panel when pressing the button. Is there any type of relay of solenoid near the fuse block related to the trunk? Or do we need to replace the lock latch? (I did make sure the car is not in valet mode.)

Thanks.

TJ