Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

new Volve s60 - Buzz sound when engine shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question new Volvo s60 - Buzz sound when engine shuts off

I got a brand new S60 two weeks ago. From the day one when i brought her back home, most of the time (90%) when the engine was shut off, i heard buzs sound (last two minutes). It also happened before i started the engine (such as i opened the car door and i heard buzz sound). I went to dealer shop twice, they did not know why and told me there was no way to fix it. Any idea here? Thanks!

Last edited by xwang; 04-18-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:53 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Take the car back to the dealer and tell them that you didn't buy a new car to have it making noises that can't be explained. Then ask to speak to the service manager. You can also call Volvo of North America and press for some help.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that can be your brake vaccum pump running. if it is it is completely normal and nothing to worry about.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by damien360
that can be your brake vaccum pump running. if it is it is completely normal and nothing to worry about.
OK, but how do you tell if it is the brake vacuum pump, or something else?

I've had my 2013 S60 T5 FWD for almost 6 months, and it does the same thing. The buzz is often very 'warbly', not a consistent pitch.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:02 AM
Question contine story ... buzz sound in S60

Hey, Thanks everyone's reply and suggestions.
We took the car back to dealer shop again today. They confirmed that it is NOT from vacuum pump. It is something else. But they don't know what made that noise. So they asked us to send video to the Volvo of North America to see if they can help. We did that, let's see their reply....

Old 04-30-2013, 12:30 PM
Default Same or similar problem

I also have a relatively new 2013 S60, and I hear a similar noise. It happens after I park the car and shut the engine off, but also - If the car has been parked, and I open the door the sound starts at the same time as the interior lights in the car come on. If I then shut the door, the sound continues for the same time duration as how long the interior lights stay on. The sound apparently is related to the lighting - although I don't see why it should be that way.

I think the time duration for the lighting is something you can set in the car settings.

Another poster noted "The buzz is often very 'warbly', not a consistent pitch" - and that is consistent with what I hear as well.

Last edited by BenSanford; 04-30-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by BenSanford
I also have a relatively new 2013 S60, and I hear a similar noise. It happens after I park the car and shut the engine off, but also - If the car has been parked, and I open the door the sound starts at the same time as the interior lights in the car come on. If I then shut the door, the sound continues for the same time duration as how long the interior lights stay on. The sound apparently is related to the lighting - although I don't see why it should be that way.

I think the time duration for the lighting is something you can set in the car settings.

Another poster noted "The buzz is often very 'warbly', not a consistent pitch" - and that is consistent with what I hear as well.
That was me. Your description is consistent with what I observe with my car. However, the sound does not appear to directly correlate with the interior lights. The sound will often remain after the interior lights have gone out.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:06 AM

i have an older s60 which makes a similar sound when i climb in. i understand it is the automatic venting of stale air from the interior. the first time i heard it i thought something was real wrong with the car. it should stop after x seconds.

i hope this helps and does not confuse

alex

Old 05-02-2013, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

There is nothing that vents stale air from the interior..

Old 05-06-2013, 07:42 PM

air quality system ($550) which purges the stale air inside the car each time you unlock it;

Old 09-29-2013, 12:25 AM
c12

did Volvo of America tell you what is the problem? My new s60 makes the same sound,

Old 09-29-2013, 03:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the the sound you guys are gearing?

Old 10-31-2013, 06:40 PM
Default buzzing noise

My 2013 S60.
I have the same problem with the noise. I open a door, no engine on, no key in ignition and I'm not in the car. Very annoying. Volvo knows about it but will not admit is a problem. Not all the S60 do it. I went to the dealer and opened the doors to several new S60's and no sound. Even some of the salespeople have not heard it and no one will admit that customers have complained. I have a Volvo after sale person researching how to end the problem but no luck so far. I plan to go to the dealer GM and dealer owner very soon and also the President of Volvo.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:05 AM
STD
Exclamation Std

I just purchased a 2013 S80 with the same behavior. After the car is turned off and sitting unlocked for awhile when you open any door there is often ( not always) a high pithced buzzing sound from under the hood that lasts several minutes

The dealer thinks it has something to do with the throttle mechanism hunting for its starting postion and is NORMAL but frankly this is unconvincing to me. My S80 has
keyless entry but it happens even if I don't have the key with me.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by xwang
I got a brand new S60 two weeks ago. From the day one when i brought her back home, most of the time (90%) when the engine was shut off, i heard buzs sound (last two minutes). It also happened before i started the engine (such as i opened the car door and i heard buzz sound). I went to dealer shop twice, they did not know why and told me there was no way to fix it. Any idea here? Thanks!
I to have the same problem when I open a door, engine is off, no keys in the car. A sound goes on under the hood. After much complaing Volvo replaced the AC compressor, control valve and trouble shot the climate unit. We got the car back on Nov 09 and had the AC on. Weh we got home, garaged it, went back to the car, opened the door and the sound came on. This happened 2 separate times that day. On Nov 10 and 11 we did not use the AC and the sound did not happen. On Nov 12 we ran the AC and after shutting the car down and going to get back in the sound went on. We are going to monitor it for a week or 2. Have you heard this from other owners?

Old 11-14-2013, 09:18 AM
STD

The dealer thinks the sound is caused by an electrical module that is involved in controlling the throttle position. They believe it is a normal function that happens when the car is off and you open the door and the throttle starts looking for the best position for
ignintion.

I have not taken it back since my initial complaint as I am trying to gather more info about how often and how long the noise lasts.

Either way it is an annoying design feature if it is normal.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 760gle
air quality system ($550) which purges the stale air inside the car each time you unlock it;

That is not what IAQS does.

I think I know the noise referred to in this thread. It isn't anything to worry about. But of course there are always those customers who are convinced something is a problem and want to go all the way to the top with it.

There are other noises associated with the AC that are different than the noise from the throttle. Those noises are usually not normal.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:06 PM
Default Sounds under the hood

I'm in Newbury Park, CA.
Where is everyone else located that has the S60 sound problem?
We need to unite and get this fixed or declare the car a lemon.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

You can't fix something that isn't broken.

And a lemon isn't a car that works fine but has a characteristic you don't like.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:30 AM

I've now owned my 2013 S60 for a year, and it continues to make the buzzing sound after I open a door (when it has been parked previously). The sound continues for a minute or so, and then goes away. No idea about why..

Quick Reply: new Volve s60 - Buzz sound when engine shuts off