Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Oil Filter leaking after oil change?

Old 04-04-2007, 01:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Filter leaking after oil change?

I just changed my oil tonight for the first time (ATF flush as well) and after I finished up and drove the car a little I have oil coming out of my oil filter around the seal. I put a new seal on and hand tightened as much as I could then did a 1/4 turn with the oil wrench? What happened.....Is it too tight or what? I tried backing it out a little then just barely snugging it and it leaks. I also tried to tighten again as tight as I could get with the wrench with the same outcome? I am confused on what to do next.....it was my first oil change on a Volvo (I have done them on many other cars/truck for many years) and I hate to waste all of the good synthetic oil but it looks like I'll have to drain it again. I also switched to synthetic (109K on the car) but it isn't leaking at the drain plug.....

A new seal came with my Mahn filter (from IPD) and I rolled all the way done before installing it. Should I have left it one notch higher or does it go all the way down on the plastic filter housing?

Please help! Thanks.........

Old 04-04-2007, 02:24 AM
Default RE: Oil Filter leaking after oil change?

I did some more searching and I found some instructions on the O-ring procedure. It seems I don't need to "roll" the O-ring all the way to the bottom, instead I need to go all the way to the last "ring" or "thread" which is slightly above the bottom. Does this sound right?

Thanks!

Old 04-04-2007, 03:18 AM

If you have the previous ring from the previous oil filter and still attached to the filter housing and you put the new one, you have double rings, which can cause oil leaks.

Since you have done numerous oil changes for many years, I guess something else is not right.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:20 AM

That's a good one.. No I didn't use both seals, I removed the old one before installing the new one. I just rolled it to far down and it needs to be moved up a notch to seal. This is the first Volvo or insert/cartridge style filter I have ever changed. I am use to just putting a little oil around the seal and hand tighten, then 1/4 turn on normal filters.

I just wanted to make sure this was the correct way to do this. I decided to start changing my own oil (among other things) I guess about 15 years ago to save a little time & money. Be easy on me....I am new to the Volvo parts.

Thanks

Old 04-04-2007, 10:21 PM

It must have been different since it was cartridge type.
I thought you were referring to regular spin on type.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:48 PM

Yes, there is clearly a groove for the O-ring to sit in. Does not go all the way to the bottom. You might be able to remove the cap, fix the O-ring, and reinstallwithout draining all the oil out. Obviously some will come out but I think the majority will stay in the pan. Then you just have to top up.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:53 AM

I removed the filter and replaced to O-ring in the correct location. Re-installed the filter housing and added additional oil to make up for what was lost with the switch. So far no leaks

Thanks for the help!