Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

reduced engine performance - no CEL

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 03:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default reduced engine performance - no CEL

I've been running errands with a lot of stop and go. Came home and sat for about half an hour.

Went out to the car, the cars thermometer said it is 96F outside. Went to start the car and saw the yellow triangle with the illuminated message
reduced engine performance.

It was running a rough idle and I turned off the motor. Went and got my scan tool and it says no current or pending codes. Hm?

Started the car and all warning lights are gone. Maybe some bad gas? So I put an ounce of cleaner into the tank (I know Volvo says no to it) and I went for a drive. It drive fine -- stopped and started the car several times and no warning lights.

I'll give it a rest in the driveway and go see if it does it again.

Without a CEL I don't know where to head with it?

It is a 2002 S60 with about 232,000 miles on it. The PO removed the stock filter and installed a big round dry filter. It is washable and maybe it is time for a filter washing?

At least they didn't use a coated K&N. Not a fan.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

There are codes, just not that a generic code reader can read. Most likely throttle related.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:00 PM

Throttle is what I was thinking and also that there are codes that my $200 scan tool probably won't read.

Originally Posted by ES6T
There are codes, just not that a generic code reader can read. Most likely throttle related.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

I would think something that expensive would read them, but I don't which ones do and which ones don't. You could press and hold the Read button and then hit the rear fog light button twice while holding Read to cycle through the modules on the text display to see if there are codes. Won't be able to read them though

Old 06-10-2016, 07:53 AM

Well that is a cool little thing. We had a caddie and jag that had that same thing (different way to start it).

Ok here ya go these are the ones that show "set"
ECM
CEM
DDM
CCM

We have always had an issue with the alarm going off (sometimes) when you unlock and then open the door.

Even though my reader didn't sho codes I ran erase codes a few times and now ECM doesn't show SET

I would think something that expensive would read them, but I don't which ones do and which ones don't. You could press and hold the Read button and then hit the rear fog light button twice while holding Read to cycle through the modules on the text display to see if there are codes. Won't be able to read them though

Last edited by urdrwho; 06-10-2016 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Well whatever was stored in the ECM was the code you needed.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:26 AM

Well it may have been a burp. I've owned cars that would on occasion burp and I spent a lot of $$$ on it but never cleared the burp. If it comes back and isn't a rarity I can investigate more.

For all I know the car has never had new coil packs or the age of the plugs. Checking the plugs has been on my list.

I use premium gas and sometimes I worry about the freshness of the gas. Not that many cars use premium anymore and ethanol loves to find and mate with water.

On one of our cars we were going away for the weekend and gassed up at Sam's Club. Went to pull out of the lot and the car stalled. Got it started and limped home. Turned out that they had a problem with water in the in gas. I took care of the problem but we didn't take that car for the weekend trip.

So I am off to the place that sells non-ethanol and fill up the car. He goes through a lot of high end cars stopping in there for premium.

Well whatever was stored in the ECM was the code you needed.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar issue with my old deceased S60, the fuse for the accelerator pedal is shared with the Aircon clutch, if blown that message comes up on the display, in my case the serpentine belt side of the Aircon compressor had seized, and before I had time to sort it, the belt broke and destroyed the engine.

Old 06-11-2016, 05:09 PM

We installed a new AC unit last summer, along with a new serpentine belt and pulleys.

I hope it isn't the beginning of a dying ETM. Even if I install a new ETM the car still must go to the dealer for a computer update. In the past year between a new key and some other things we've spent $350 on hooking up to the dealer computer for computer updates.

Not a fan of all the computer updates needed but I wonder if a lot of newer American cars are dealer computer dependent?

Originally Posted by John Henson
I had a similar issue with my old deceased S60, the fuse for the accelerator pedal is shared with the Aircon clutch, if blown that message comes up on the display, in my case the serpentine belt side of the Aircon compressor had seized, and before I had time to sort it, the belt broke and destroyed the engine.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so what exactly caused your car to die? I had exactly the same problem with my car now. Changed the serpentine belt, the a/c compressor and mass airflow sensor. The engine is fine but no acceleration.