Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Replacing Front Lower Control Arms and Ball Joints?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 04:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Front Lower Control Arms and Ball Joints?

Just curious if anyone has any recommendations or experience on replacing the Front Lower control arms. Tried to do my right side ones today on a 2002 S60. Ran into some trouble. Obviously getting to the bolts that go into the frame for the arms have to use hand tool unless you want to jack the engine.

However, I am DIY person at 173k miles gotta make those business decisions. I was able to take all the bolts off and get the control arm popped off. However, nothing I saw said to take the sway bar link off. I left that on and ended up poping out the CV Axle. For me with the sway bar attached it had a life of it own. Not sure how anyone replaces this without removing that, I will say most the videos I saw were for X70 not S60 etc.

Thankfully able to have a someone help show me the ropes and put that back in. I ended up killing the sway bar link which I will replace 2mrow. It looks relatively easy, I am not a mechanic. Have learned most of what I know reading forums like this and watching videos. If anyone has any advice on doing these Control arms I would appreciate it.

Was able to get the right side back in inline, I was able to attach the new control arm with new ball joints attached.

I will say this job was more than I bargained for. Didn't think it would be easy but never thought I would be having to call for help. Still need to do the other side. However, if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by stop_at_willoughby; 03-06-2014 at 05:14 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did learn I messed up by not jacking up both sides equally. That was probably why the tension on the sway bars caused so much trouble. I was able to install the driver side control arm/ball joint today, I also replaced the end link for the sway bar as I realized at 170k it was the original one on there, not mention I busted the other one so I ate the cost.

I never knew anything about cars before about a few years ago reading forums and watching videos. #1 rule with suspension make sure both ends are jacked up equally or else you will get crazy tension especially on the sway bar end links.

If you are doing this in you own home "garage" jack stand etc. This job can be challenging. Not impossible but you have to have the right tools. And have ways of prying I used a bar and rope to lower the control arm/ball joint close to where it needed to be. Then got the ball joint socket into place had someone pry down so I could thread everything without stripping.

I learned lots doing this project. It was probably the most difficult just because of the use of force you have to use with a pry bar etc to align the bolts into the control arm then the control arm with ball joint into is holding place.