Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo S60 & V60
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-06-2010, 08:30 AM

Default S60 Dashboard Instruments/Lights Not Working

I have a 2003 S600 and the instrument panel goes dark and all the instruments stop working (speedometer, RPM, Fuel all go to zero) – This has occurs intermittently, the engine was running fine and no warning lights came on. I am also experiencing problems with indicator lights on the dashboard. As an example, the blinker lights on the dashboard only work about 20% of the time. The actual directionals on the exterior of the car are still working all of the time. The condition seems to be getting progressively worse.

I have 138, 000 miles on the car and appreciate any ideas on what the problem is and if it a DYI job or not.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CMott View Post
I have a 2003 S600 and the instrument panel goes dark and all the instruments stop working (speedometer, RPM, Fuel all go to zero) – This has occurs intermittently, the engine was running fine and no warning lights came on. I am also experiencing problems with indicator lights on the dashboard. As an example, the blinker lights on the dashboard only work about 20% of the time. The actual directionals on the exterior of the car are still working all of the time. The condition seems to be getting progressively worse.

I have 138, 000 miles on the car and appreciate any ideas on what the problem is and if it a DYI job or not.
when this happens does your car run slugish......for example when your stopped and take of your car has all it can do to take off?? If so I may be able to help you after having experienced this myself it was a fuse that blew in position 32 it controlled the central electrical module which controls the entire instrument panel...but if yours is working I would say that your having an electrical problem...start with your fuses first and make sure all of them are fine and you have not blown any fuses at all....please post your findings. If we eliminate your fuses then we will have to look at your electrical system
Old 11-07-2010, 11:04 AM

I had seem some of the 03 p2 problems w/DIM (instrument cluster). the problem is the DIM itself. usually symtom start w/srs light first. check if the sw of the DIM is updated or not, but most likely u need a DIM
Old 11-08-2010, 11:20 AM

I will begin by checking the fuses and then post my findings.

I do have the SRS warning light that came on about a month ago.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CMott View Post
I do have the SRS warning light that came on about a month ago.

When I blew the fuse that controlled the instrument panel my SRS Airbag light came on as well, your SRS light will need to reset by the dealer...you need a reset tool, I have yet to reset mine as the dealer want $100 to reset the warning light...good luck!
Old 11-08-2010, 04:09 PM

Call my local mechanic -- he thinks it's the DIM. I will be bringing my car to him on Thursday so he can verify the problem. The DIM unit cost is approx $1,000.

Don't know if it is worth getting fixed or if I should just trade the car in. Overall a solid car with 138,000 miles and in good to excellent condition (for an 8 year old car).
Old 11-08-2010, 11:24 PM

just a reminder, a local mechanic cannot really fix the dim. eg. OEM DTC's from vida, after dim replacement, u need to reload software on the dim.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:58 PM

Smile Milf1977

hi everyone. I'm new to this forums but if I can I will try and help maybe someone with the dashboard problems with volvo s60 80 or v-series.I now from personal expierience beacuse my dashboard work for 5-10 min and then go blank.apparently is somethink wrong with the motorola chip.I read this from some forums.But the other day I plug my sat nav plus phone charger in cigaret lighter and from that time is working absolutly fine.here how I done it-- to the cigaret lighter in front(under radio) plug any charger(for sat nav or phone) and then to the other cigaret plug(locate it behind the armrest for driver,front of the rear seats ) plug second charger.leave them over night in sokets and when u start driving in the morning dont take them off at all. this is working 100% on my volvo s60. before I try this the dashboard works for 5-10 min and then blank screen.try !! maybe will work for u to!! good luck. please any one with similar dashboard problem let me now if this help u to resolve this issue.sorry for writing but I"m Polish and don't now perfectly english.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:28 PM

I am new to this forum, and I am glad that it exist. Well it looks like that I'm not the only one with this type of problem. I own a S60 2003 and the instrumental panel stop working (speedometer,RPM,Fuel,Temperature all went to cero), the outside lights(directional)of the car are all working. The car does not run sluggish. All the fuses were check and are OK. The DIM(instrument cluster) was check and is not the problem. My mechanic thinks it's the Control Module TEMIC and that he can get a used one.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:09 PM

Default It was the DIM

Local mechanic was able to install new DIM and had to load software. DIM cost was about $900 (for a piece of plastic parts with a circut board ~ $10 worth of materials). Volvo really squeezes every cent out of you.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:09 PM

Tags
blown, cluster, dark, dash, dashboard, forum, headlights, instrument, jump, motor, panel, running, s60, start, v70, volvo, working