Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

S60 Dashboard Instruments/Lights Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 08:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doublebug
Mizundastud, all dashes from 2002-2003 model year of S60/S80/V70/XC70/XC90
have this issue and can be rebuilt. If the dash is not completely dead rebuilding helps in 100% of cases. Sometimes the firmware gets corrupted.
Doublebug,
the issue runs up to 2005 for those models. I've seen where reflowing the pins works for about 3 or 4 months, but then the problem comes back. How do you go about fixing the firmware, getting a VIDA?

Old 07-23-2013, 09:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mizundastud
How do you go about fixing the firmware, getting a VIDA?
No. Writing own software. It is also using DiCE.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:16 PM
Thumbs up I found the fix!!!

Originally Posted by 2CMott
I have a 2003 S600 and the instrument panel goes dark and all the instruments stop working (speedometer, RPM, Fuel all go to zero) – This has occurs intermittently, the engine was running fine and no warning lights came on. I am also experiencing problems with indicator lights on the dashboard. As an example, the blinker lights on the dashboard only work about 20% of the time. The actual directionals on the exterior of the car are still working all of the time. The condition seems to be getting progressively worse.

I have 138, 000 miles on the car and appreciate any ideas on what the problem is and if it a DYI job or not.
Hello,

I have had the same problems. I searched and searched and finally found someone in England who finally figured out how to fix it. He posted it in a forum-I think this one-and others followed his idea. Now their dash is fixed. I followed it too and now have a beautifully working dashboard.

I live in Ukiah, CA, USA. I went to DFM Auto Repair and explained what I wanted done with the car. They weren't able to do it, but found a company, they could send the dashboard to, who would re-solder any parts that needed it on the computer panel inside the instrument panel (dashboard). They did it and sent it back to DFM Auto Repair. It works!! I am soooo happy. I can't remember the name of the company that fixed the dashboard, but I will ask tomorrow and edit this post with their name and info.

Other people, thousands of other people multinationally, have spent upwards of $2000.00 to try to fix their 2002 - 2004 Volvo S60s and ended up with the problem still there and $2000.00 poorer. I spent 3 days searching and researching this issue.

My next problem to figure out is to find out what is draining my battery. I had to pull out the fuse for the High-beams (the bright headlights) to keep them from turning on when the car is turned off. But, something else is still draining my battery.

Here is the post from the gentleman who figured out how to fix the dashboard problem. [on this website url ... http://www.volvo-forums.com/t13321-s...-problems.htm] ....

R K Myers
Dec 7 2009, 06:43 AM
Post #44

Group: Members
Member No.: 65,690
Drives: S60 D5

I have registered with the forum today because I saw the posts on this problem, had the same problem myself until this weekend and following about 2 hours work, managed to solve the issue completely.

Just to be clear here, this is a 2003 S60. The problems have been going on for about a year. Started with indicator lights and relay not working (although actual indicator lights outside fine), clock going through a time warp, gobledegook on the left information screen and most recently, the whole dash coming up with every error under the sun when it wasn't completely dim.

The dashboard istelf is pretty easy to get out, remove the plastic cover from behind the steering wheel (just using brute force and ignorance) and then unscrewing the 4 x T10 screws. There is one connector behind the dash on which there is a catch to depress to remove the dash unit itself.

Having removed the white back cover, the PCB (printed circuit board) has about six screws to be removed so that the board can be taken out. (Note: The board is seperated on the L/H side, uncrew both sides as there is a ribon cable attaching the two boards.

There were a couple of dry joints on the board. The main green connector and the Motorola chip (as described by romkaromka).

The reg (voltage regulator L4925N) looked to be fine except there was no thermal compound between it's screw tab and the heatsink. So to rectify this, simply unscrew the reg, bend it forward (gently) and plaster some thermal compound on it's back.

My bother is an electronics engineer and so had the correct tools to reflow the Motorola Chip. This was done with a Metcal digital hot air gun at exactly 350 degrees c. vmaxim, as for melting the solder around the legs of the chip, yes! That's exactly what it does. You heat one side at a time, use plenty of flux and effectively resolder the surface mount legs (known in the trade as reflowing). THIS IS A SKILLED PROCESS AND SHOULDN'T BE UNDERTAKEN BY A NOVICE.

Bottom line: if you have or know someone with Surface Mount Soldering skills, this problem is very easy to solve, if you don't, find someone who does and slip them something for their time, it will be far cheaper than taking your car to Volvo.

Last edited by TiredofVolvo; 12-22-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:36 PM
Default 2004 S60 electrical issues

I have a 2004 S60 and just recently bought it used. I been driving it for about 2 months and it has done great until here recently. it started with a jerk while driving. like I ran over something small or ABS kicking in. then came the blank DIM, no turn signals, unresponsive window controls and no Air conditioning (fan worked but no cold air) and the sluggish takeoff as if were in a higher gear. I have done a lot of research about this on other forums but this is the first time I made an acct and posted about it. A lot of owners replace CEM and DIM and still the problem is not fixed. I am trying to get out without spending a fortune on searching for problem. Oh and also the SRS airbag service urgent message has popped up. I just remembered that before all this started that I got a message that regular scheduled maintenance is required. please help. thanks. one more thing is that the engine will stall out while driving. I had it scanned before and it came up MAP/ Barometric pressure sensor.

Last edited by volvo85; 07-28-2014 at 09:45 PM. Reason: forgot to add another problem
Old 01-16-2015, 07:30 PM
Thumbs up Hi Milf

Originally Posted by MILF1977
hi everyone. I'm new to this forums but if I can I will try and help maybe someone with the dashboard problems with volvo s60 80 or v-series.I now from personal expierience beacuse my dashboard work for 5-10 min and then go blank.apparently is somethink wrong with the motorola chip.I read this from some forums.But the other day I plug my sat nav plus phone charger in cigaret lighter and from that time is working absolutly fine.here how I done it-- to the cigaret lighter in front(under radio) plug any charger(for sat nav or phone) and then to the other cigaret plug(locate it behind the armrest for driver,front of the rear seats ) plug second charger.leave them over night in sokets and when u start driving in the morning dont take them off at all. this is working 100% on my volvo s60. before I try this the dashboard works for 5-10 min and then blank screen.try !! maybe will work for u to!! good luck. please any one with similar dashboard problem let me now if this help u to resolve this issue.sorry for writing but I"m Polish and don't now perfectly english.
Hi...I tried your suggestion last night and normally when I start the car in the morning I have a complete functioning dash however about 20 min later nothing although signals- heater- lights etc. all are working fine. This morning after plugging in two chargers...one front and one behind the console I had nothing. My car is a 2002 S80 Turbo 6...it appears that this is an inherent problem with Volvo. To much electronics for me...I have been driving Volvos since the 122 series.. never had a problem with the old gals...they were a hoot to own!!!

Old 03-25-2015, 11:09 PM

Had this as well on my 2003 S60 AWD 2.5T- Negative battery cable off for a minute or so, then it works again. Probably should fix it right, any link to the recall? Maybe we can get this fixed free by the good old folks at volvo.....

Old 03-26-2015, 05:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnygovolvo
Had this as well on my 2003 S60 AWD 2.5T- Negative battery cable off for a minute or so, then it works again. Probably should fix it right, any link to the recall? Maybe we can get this fixed free by the good old folks at volvo.....
There is a stickied thread in the S60 section https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...r-63276/page2/ that covers this issue. I pulled mine jut recently and sent it to BBA Remanufacturing for a "rebuild". They give a lifetime warranty, so you won't spend money twice to fix it. Pretty common issue in '02-'04 S60's. If yours is in this age range good luck getting Volvo to fix it. In case you didn't know, cars don't come with a forever warranty. If yours is newer (5 years old or less) with less than 100K miles it might be worth asking, but otherwise forget it.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by TiredofVolvo
Hello,

I have had the same problems. I searched and searched and finally found someone in England who finally figured out how to fix it. He posted it in a forum-I think this one-and others followed his idea. Now their dash is fixed. I followed it too and now have a beautifully working dashboard.

I live in Ukiah, CA, USA. I went to DFM Auto Repair and explained what I wanted done with the car. They weren't able to do it, but found a company, they could send the dashboard to, who would re-solder any parts that needed it on the computer panel inside the instrument panel (dashboard). They did it and sent it back to DFM Auto Repair. It works!! I am soooo happy. I can't remember the name of the company that fixed the dashboard, but I will ask tomorrow and edit this post with their name and info.

Other people, thousands of other people multinationally, have spent upwards of $2000.00 to try to fix their 2002 - 2004 Volvo S60s and ended up with the problem still there and $2000.00 poorer. I spent 3 days searching and researching this issue.

My next problem to figure out is to find out what is draining my battery. I had to pull out the fuse for the High-beams (the bright headlights) to keep them from turning on when the car is turned off. But, something else is still draining my battery.

Here is the post from the gentleman who figured out how to fix the dashboard problem. [on this website url ... http://www.volvo-forums.com/t13321-s...-problems.htm] ....

R K Myers
Dec 7 2009, 06:43 AM
Post #44

Group: Members
Member No.: 65,690
Drives: S60 D5

I have registered with the forum today because I saw the posts on this problem, had the same problem myself until this weekend and following about 2 hours work, managed to solve the issue completely.

Just to be clear here, this is a 2003 S60. The problems have been going on for about a year. Started with indicator lights and relay not working (although actual indicator lights outside fine), clock going through a time warp, gobledegook on the left information screen and most recently, the whole dash coming up with every error under the sun when it wasn't completely dim.

The dashboard istelf is pretty easy to get out, remove the plastic cover from behind the steering wheel (just using brute force and ignorance) and then unscrewing the 4 x T10 screws. There is one connector behind the dash on which there is a catch to depress to remove the dash unit itself.

Having removed the white back cover, the PCB (printed circuit board) has about six screws to be removed so that the board can be taken out. (Note: The board is seperated on the L/H side, uncrew both sides as there is a ribon cable attaching the two boards.

There were a couple of dry joints on the board. The main green connector and the Motorola chip (as described by romkaromka).

The reg (voltage regulator L4925N) looked to be fine except there was no thermal compound between it's screw tab and the heatsink. So to rectify this, simply unscrew the reg, bend it forward (gently) and plaster some thermal compound on it's back.

My bother is an electronics engineer and so had the correct tools to reflow the Motorola Chip. This was done with a Metcal digital hot air gun at exactly 350 degrees c. vmaxim, as for melting the solder around the legs of the chip, yes! That's exactly what it does. You heat one side at a time, use plenty of flux and effectively resolder the surface mount legs (known in the trade as reflowing). THIS IS A SKILLED PROCESS AND SHOULDN'T BE UNDERTAKEN BY A NOVICE.

Bottom line: if you have or know someone with Surface Mount Soldering skills, this problem is very easy to solve, if you don't, find someone who does and slip them something for their time, it will be far cheaper than taking your car to Volvo.
When it comes to reflowing surface mount parts I personally use a soldering iron with a conical tip, and liquid flux. I work as a testing technician at Precision Technologies, and I do this with quad flat packs that aren't flown properly.

I only use hot air when it comes to reflowing BGA devices and removing surface mount devices from the board for replacement. any youtube video may do. a few youtube videos, temperature controlled soldering iron, liquid flux, and rubbing alchahol. could end up being cheaper and just as good as bringing it to a shop (depending on what you buy everything for)

I got my temperature controlled soldering iron for $50-60 USD, and a little flux goes a long way. use the alcohol to clean off flux residue. I am about to head home and fix my mothers instrument panel in 10-30 min time frame between school and work. These instrument panels don't have anything too complex on them so they can be easy to track down a problem if you follow the traces.

Resolder the pins for the connectors, then test, then hit pins on surface mounts. that doesnt work see what else there is, you may have a multimeter you can use to see if power is going to perticular devices, and see if there is a blown resistor/diode. If you are unsure about electronics watch a few more youtube videos on them, and/or EEVBlog forum to ask about the electronics portion.

EDIT: I have been having the same problem with the instrument cluster.... look and the female headers, For my case the have vibrated enough to split within the insulation. going to find exactly what connector it is and fix it myself by pulling the plug from the connector.and testing the plug using a multimeter and bed of nails alligator clips.
(Maybe I should make a good video tutorial on this...)

Last edited by zerorisers; 05-12-2015 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Extra information necessary
Old 07-10-2016, 05:42 PM

what I need to do need to reload software on the dim?
A have Vida.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:31 AM

Hi
I had the exact same problem with my S80 T6. It started with the High Beam indicator on the DIM. I would go on sometimes and stay off when I put on the high beams and didn't know they were on until the oncoming traffic gave me the high beam in return. Then one day as I was making a turn the warning flasher was going. I checked to see if I had signal lights and both sides were working. Then a few weeks later I had no dash lights, no RPM no Speedo, no gas or heat gauge. very frustrating. Took the car to my mechanic and he had no idea. I googled the problem and was directed to company that exchanged the DIM which I installed (very simple) you can google the procedure and everything works as it should. Got the same mileage on the odometer etc. Hope this helps. Arnie

Old 03-08-2017, 02:49 PM
Exclamation Instrument Panel Problem 2003 S60 - Diode D9 size

I have a Similar Problem S60 Instrument Panel Not working.

Does anyone know the size diode D9 on a 2003 S60 DIM. I set my multimeter to diode test, but it acts like a resistor, measuring 096 in BOTH forward and reverse poles. Similar tests performed on other diodes on the same DIM performed properly, allowing electrons to flow only in one direction. Diodes tested were D10 to D13 measured 0634 in the indicated direction of flow and 1 (open) in the reverse direction as they should.

The problem is that I cannot read the uf values as there are none indictaed on the board, nor do I have any schematics to refernce it's value. I have further tested a replacement DIM from a donor S80, with a similar problem and results.

Can anyone else substiantiate similar findings or am I wrong? Does anyone have DIM schematics or can tell me the value of that D9 diode?

Thanks,
Billy.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:33 AM
Default S60 dashboard lights not working

[QUOTE=2CMott;243220]I have a 2003 S600 and the instrument panel goes dark and all the instruments stop working (speedometer, RPM, Fuel all go to zero) – This has occurs intermittently, the engine was running fine and no warning lights came on. I am also experiencing problems with indicator lights on the dashboard. The actual directionals on the exterior of the car are still working all of the time. Please help me out. I need solution to this

Old 04-24-2018, 10:06 PM

I had same issue recently i wasn't about to spend 1k at the dealership so I sent mine off to automotive circuit solutions they repaired it for $130 with lifetime warranty.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:40 PM
Default Dashboard

Hi
Had the same problem in my S80 and it turned out to be the DIM. I purchased it on line on an exchange basis at around $350.00 Canadian. Installed it myself after watching the procedure on "YOU TUBE". Took about 15 min to install. It worked perfectly after installation. I sold the car and the new owner has never experienced any problems.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:10 PM
Default Binnacle LCD intermittent... HELP!

Hi all i'm new to the forum and have recently got my 2002 S60 D5 for long trips up and down the length of the country. One thing bothers me and that's the warning LCD display on the binnacle is intermittent. Sometimes it is clear as day and other days it will just appear scrambled or not even displaying anything just the back light. I have seen that it can be a sign that the CEM is on its way out and that it is a rare fault to have, Has anyone else had any experience with fixing this if it can be at all? Does anyone know if it will be expensive, can I fix it myself or shall I just live with this problem? Many thanks guys, hope to hear from you soon.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:45 PM

DIM is having problems. There are lots of threads online about how to fix. Xemodex in Canada does good work. You might be able to find a cheaper version of the same service in the US -- I did.

Old 11-22-2020, 02:37 PM
Default Battery draining overnight

I had that same problem. My battery was getting drained. I found out that it was my fans turning on when the car was completely shut off. Not sure why it was happening though.

Old 01-14-2022, 08:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help.

Hello everyone I seem to be late to the party, I have an 02 s60 volvo, I got for free. The lady said it worked when she parked it her backyard, it hasn't moved since 2014. It doesn't run, I'm replacing the starter I know for sure that's bad. The radio works but the dash and none of the lights work or turn on for that matter, headlights, overhead light, dashboard, a/c, nothing, just the radio. Also what is a DIM I'm reading about? I've checked the fuses and replaced the bad ones but still nothing. If you all have any ideas, comments, suggestion, I would gladly appreciate it.

The following users liked this post:
ErnieV (02-05-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 08:23 PM
Default Brilliant this cigar lighter trick!

omg the cigar lighter trick worked for me. I have a 2006 s60 and as i was plugging in the phone charger the instrument gauges suddenly went on! Thank you so much, much appreciated little hack!!

Originally Posted by MILF1977
hi everyone. I'm new to this forums but if I can I will try and help maybe someone with the dashboard problems with volvo s60 80 or v-series.I now from personal expierience beacuse my dashboard work for 5-10 min and then go blank.apparently is somethink wrong with the motorola chip.I read this from some forums.But the other day I plug my sat nav plus phone charger in cigaret lighter and from that time is working absolutly fine.here how I done it-- to the cigaret lighter in front(under radio) plug any charger(for sat nav or phone) and then to the other cigaret plug(locate it behind the armrest for driver,front of the rear seats ) plug second charger.leave them over night in sokets and when u start driving in the morning dont take them off at all. this is working 100% on my volvo s60. before I try this the dashboard works for 5-10 min and then blank screen.try !! maybe will work for u to!! good luck. please any one with similar dashboard problem let me now if this help u to resolve this issue.sorry for writing but I"m Polish and don't now perfectly english.