Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Scraping noise when I turn wheel, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scraping noise when I turn wheel, etc.

Hi,

I have a few issues with my '05 S60. When I turn the wheel all the way, eg. when I'm making a u-turn, there's a scraping noise. I didn't have this problem w/my S80 and the dealer claimed it's normal w/the S60. Personally I don't think a scraping noise should be considered normal. However, I read somewhere that the stock tires are too big for the car and that's why I may hear a scraping noise. Is there any truth to this, or is there something else going on? It doesn't matter whether I fully turn the wheel to the left or right, the scraping noise is there regardless. Next issue is that I had an i-pod cable installed. The ipod was working fine, but now it's pretty common for a song to skip, like an old vinyl record would skip, when I fast forward to another song. It eventually fixes itself and the song plays, but this is a problem that I prefer not to have. Also, one half of the plastic housing for the cable has fallen off. Finally, I just noticed the other day, when I lock the doors/set the alarm remotely with the master key, the blinker lights no longer flash on and off as they had (alerting me that the alarm was set and the doors were locked). Not big issues, but was curious if there was anything I could do to remedy these things without having to take it in for service. The car is still under warranty, so it's not a big issue. I just don't feel like driving out to the dealer because it's pretty far away. Thanks. I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone may have.

Old 11-25-2006, 11:55 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Scraping noise when I turn wheel, etc.

If you have 17's it is normal.
They will offer a fix but DON'T do it.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:50 PM

My 2002 S60 T5 starting doing this a year ago when I put four new Fuzion tires on the car. The tire size is 235/45/17. I hate the Fuzion's but that's a different story. I was told by the dealer that the scraping noise during full turns was because the tires were "new". However, the tires are now a year old and I still have the noise. I'll ask about it again at the dealer when I service the car again, however I guess I'll have to get used to it.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:06 PM

My girlfrind has a 04 S60 2.5 w/the sports option, she also has the scraping sound when fully turning in either direction. after spending time with the car rasied and on my back it seems to me that the tire when full over, contacts the plastic weather covers to the inside of the wheel well. if you look behind the tire you should see some scuff marks on the back of the wheel well. volvo has said this is normal, in fact it is bad design. as you don't drive in constant tight circles it should do little more than make noise and annoy you. volvo tried putting spacers (turned out to be just washers) which did get rid of most of the noise. the fix increased the truning radius so badly I removed the spacers and chucked them, a little nosie is a lot less annoying than lossing any of the turning radius. find an empty parking lot and roll down your windows, turn the wheel all the way to one side and drive in circles' listen for a plastic scrapping sound. if this is what you hear it's probely your problem.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:11 PM

ok its because your tire turns to far and hits the innern fender wheel well(black plastic stuff) if you want to prevent this you can buy new turnstops for your size wheel but you will have add bout 2-5 feet to your u-turn radius (turnstops are dealer part)