Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Strange sounds while motor is cold (video)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange sounds while motor is cold (video)

Hey,

yesterday I drove with my volvo S60 2.5T Automatic (2004) from San Diego to San Francisco. This morning I started the car and there was a strange sound from the bottom of the car. After 10 minutes the sound was gone. What can it be? I attached a video...

Can I drive safety back to San Diego without further problems?

For any Tipp I would be very grateful!

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_6872.MOV (1.60 MB, 93 views)
Old 11-22-2015, 05:48 AM

I'm wondering if this is the infamous clogged oil sump issue (haven't seen or heard it, personally)? How's the transmission fluid level? Oil level and visible quality?

Old 11-22-2015, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by MarcM
I'm wondering if this is the infamous clogged oil sump issue (haven't seen or heard it, personally)? How's the transmission fluid level? Oil level and visible quality?
thx for your answer

I checked the fluid level and quality:

seems okay... (have a look into the attachment)

Old 11-22-2015, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by barbapapa1987
thx for your answer

I checked the fluid level and quality:

seems okay... (have a look into the attachment)
have a look into the attachment

Attached Thumbnails Strange sounds while motor is cold (video)-img_7015.png  
Old 11-22-2015, 02:56 PM

can I drive unhesitatingly back to san diego?

Old 11-22-2015, 10:51 PM

If you rev it up, does the rrrRrrRRrRRr go away? Almost sounds like a vibration.
Injectors are noisy, per the norm.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:52 PM

If you rev it up, does the rrrRrrRRrRRr go away? Almost sounds like a vibration.
Injectors are noisy, per the norm.

no the intervall of the noise is then shorter

Old 11-22-2015, 10:58 PM

Can you pinpoint what end of engine it's coming from?

I am not up on the nuances of Volvo's yet (1st Volvo and only been running it since Sept 19th), but getting there quickly. I'd seriously wait for a seasoned multiple successive Volvo owner to reply with a better answer. You stuck there? San Diego is nice. Stayed at the Hyatt years ago for bbn/Genuity/GTE Internetworking, down by Adobe. Many nice restaurants around the corner.

If it were a Dodge, Chevy, KIA, Honda or Ford I'd be more comfortable with giving an answer. Volvo's seem to be less "forgiving" with potential internal issues than chunks of steel lobbing around in cast iron (eluding to USA trucks here).

The oil looks pretty good, no bubbles/foaming or chunks of goo. I'd hate to say "RUN IT!" when there is a potential to throw a rod or loose internal lubrication. If it's passenger side, possible (remotely) tensioner pulley bearing for serpentine belt or tensioner/idler for timing belt. A lot of could be's without pinpointing the area.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:53 AM

Can you pinpoint what end of engine it's coming from?

I am not up on the nuances of Volvo's yet (1st Volvo and only been running it since Sept 19th), but getting there quickly. I'd seriously wait for a seasoned multiple successive Volvo owner to reply with a better answer. You stuck there? San Diego is nice. Stayed at the Hyatt years ago for bbn/Genuity/GTE Internetworking, down by Adobe. Many nice restaurants around the corner.

If it were a Dodge, Chevy, KIA, Honda or Ford I'd be more comfortable with giving an answer. Volvo's seem to be less "forgiving" with potential internal issues than chunks of steel lobbing around in cast iron (eluding to USA trucks here).

The oil looks pretty good, no bubbles/foaming or chunks of goo. I'd hate to say "RUN IT!" when there is a potential to throw a rod or loose internal lubrication. If it's passenger side, possible (remotely) tensioner pulley bearing for serpentine belt or tensioner/idler for timing belt. A lot of could be's without pinpointing the area.
I will pinpoint the noise coming

yeah, I live since few months in san diego (pacific beach) and I really love it. its beautiful. I don't stuck here in SF, because I will drive anyway back, if the noise is there or not. I do this only for the reason that the noise is after few minutes gone.

thanks for your tips!