Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Ignition tumbler replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2023, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition tumbler replacement

The tumbler on my 08 S60 jammed and I couldn’t get it to release no matter what I tried so I replaced it. Received the assembly and 2 keys off eBay but it won’t start. Everything seems to work but it won’t engage the starter. Tried it in different gears, switched one of the new keys into an old fob thinking it might have some sort of sensor. It seems like the neutral safety switch isn’t working. Anyone else had the same experience?

Old 10-24-2023, 06:25 AM
Received 585 Likes on 551 Posts

That's your immobilizer doing it's job - and there is no way to bypass it.

If you are trying to use new keys - The CEM will have to be programmed to accept the signal from the chip in the new key for the car to start. You simply add keys using a VIDA subscription. (there's probably some fine print in the Ebay listing) The chip is in the key portion, not the remote portion. Some have gotten around this by taping the old key under the column close enough to the antenna ring for the signal to be picked up.

The easiest way to solve your jammed steering column lock problem is to order a new column lock from Volvo using your VIN. It will come precut to your existing keys - so you won't have to carry 2 keys to unlock and start your car.

Old 10-24-2023, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by hoonk
That's your immobilizer doing it's job - and there is no way to bypass it.

If you are trying to use new keys - The CEM will have to be programmed to accept the signal from the chip in the new key for the car to start. You simply add keys using a VIDA subscription. (there's probably some fine print in the Ebay listing) The chip is in the key portion, not the remote portion. Some have gotten around this by taping the old key under the column close enough to the antenna ring for the signal to be picked up.

The easiest way to solve your jammed steering column lock problem is to order a new column lock from Volvo using your VIN. It will come precut to your existing keys - so you won't have to carry 2 keys to unlock and start your car.

I have the eBay tumbler so trying to work around it before sending it back and purchasing OEM, although that sounds like a better option. A few questions… what is the CEM? How do I get a VIDA subscription? Where is the antenna ring? Thanks!

Old 10-25-2023, 07:56 AM
Received 585 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by tomwagner44@gmail.com
1.What is the CEM?

2. How do I get a VIDA subscription?

3. Where is the antenna ring?
1. Central electric module - Google 08 s60 CEM

2. Volvotechinfo.com - you will need a DICE unit that is compatible and the ability to learn a quirky program quickly.

3. 4a in the diagram.

A test - put your old key in the ignition tumbler. Take the electrical portion of the ignition switch (4b) off and use a screwdriver to turn it to try to start the car. If it starts the CEM is getting the signal from your old key.

Last edited by hoonk; 10-25-2023 at 08:08 AM.
Old 10-27-2023, 08:59 PM

Thanks for the great info. The new tumbler came with the antenna piece so I feel it would work if it’s going to. I tried setting the old key near it, fob closeby, swapping the old antenna etc. At this point I think my best course of action is to return the part (to Latvia) and purchase from the dealership as I should have from the start. Let me know if you’re ever in Boise - dinner and drinks are on me.