Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Transmission Fluid

Old 07-21-2006, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid

I am pretty new to Volvo. I bought my 2003 S60 AWD a couple of months ago. I've been told to do a tranny flush by the dealer. What I need to know, is if I need to get a specialized Volvo transmission fluid, or can I just get an off the shelf fluid? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 07-22-2006, 01:16 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Transmission Fluid

How many miles on it?

Old 07-22-2006, 01:17 AM

just out of warranty

Old 07-22-2006, 01:22 AM
Administrator

If it doesn't look Brown and smell brunt don't worry about it now.

The Dealers try to make money off the flushes.

If you want to do it yourself then you need to see if your car uses Synthetic fluid or not.

Old 07-22-2006, 01:26 AM

Well it is brown and burnt, I know it needs to be replaced. I just don't know what it takes. It doesn't say in the owner's manual. Does anyone know what the dealership would put in it? I know that there are several auto manufacturers that require their engines to take the fluids that they manufacture.

Old 07-22-2006, 01:30 AM
Administrator

Call the Parts Dept. at the Dealer and ask which one your car takes.
I think there is 3 types of transmission on these cars.

If you want to flush it your self you wil need about 15 quarts to flush it properly.

Old 07-23-2006, 05:36 PM

Well, it's the geartronix tranny. if anyone knows.

Old 07-23-2006, 06:51 PM
Administrator

I think the geartronic uses regular trans. fluid and the other trans uses synthetic. But not 100% sure.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:15 AM

thanks for the input

Old 07-27-2006, 06:16 PM
Default RE: Transmission Fluid (IS Synthetic!)

Hello, KJVBlueXJ - I have nearly your same car, but I looked up the factory info on this transmission fluid, and it is definitely synthetic. The fluid that is being used for 5 and 6 speed automatics is: part# 1161540 (1 liter container) and part# 1161640 (4 liter container). It is specifically engineered to address 2 transmission complaints for harsh engagement/disengagement (Service bulletin 43-0029) and a Squeaking noise at low speeds (Tech Net Note # 43-11). It is not the same fluid as is used for the 4-speed automatics, which use Dexron IIIG or Dexron IIIH.

I would advise against using other fluid because it could be a very expensive mistake :-)

My .02 worth

- Lynn

Old 07-28-2006, 12:07 AM
Administrator

We use the Vavoline High Milage synthetic fluid at work. Was confirmed it would work By the Dealer and Volvo itself.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:27 AM

Are we seriously having this discussion again??? Maybe Rolex or blacktt55 or whatever can chime in here and make this one interesting. Not so sure you wanna go and put synthetic in your car. Look up Mobil 3309, it is the same as the "Special" volvo fluid. It is NOT SYNTHETIC. Check these links MOBIL and this forum SWEDESPEED. Bender??? Rolex??? tt55???? shall we dance again??

Old 08-10-2006, 11:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Cornfed

Are we seriously having this discussion again??? Maybe Rolex or blacktt55 or whatever can chime in here and make this one interesting. Not so sure you wanna go and put synthetic in your car. Look up Mobil 3309, it is the same as the "Special" volvo fluid. It is NOT SYNTHETIC. Check these links MOBIL and this forum SWEDESPEED. Bender??? Rolex??? tt55???? shall we dance again??
Rolex, and Black TT55 doesn't know squat. Been the Ambassador of misinformation.
I just saw this site. Not very good technical info and the Moderator should be shot for suggesting what he did.
All Automatic 5 speed autos for the S60 are Aisin Warner transmissions. They ONLY use JWS 3309 trans oil. That is the exact oil the rip off dealer is selling as "Volvo trans oil". It's not synthetic and is the same oil as Mobil 3309 which you get from any Mobil distributor for $46.50 per case of 12 quarts. Let's get smart guys. Especially the moderator, whew.....
A vehicle having 52000 miles needs to get rid of the trans fluid. S60's have a drain plug. It's a female allen socket nut. Drain the trans oil, 2.5 quarts or so come out. Fill it back up. Drive around the block, do that 3 times. And you have exchanged 82% of the fluid with new.
Dealer charges $400 you can do it like changing oil for $50. With the exact same fluid.

The following users liked this post:
Musepux (04-21-2023)
Old 08-10-2006, 11:14 AM

ORIGINAL: tech

We use the Vavoline High Milage synthetic fluid at work. Was confirmed it would work By the Dealer and Volvo itself.
Are you an idiot!!!
An S60 auto???
Absolutely wrong and no dealer said that to you. Horrible information.
The Volvo manual in 05 and 06 clearly state only to use JWS 3309 compliable oils for the trans. That is Mobil 3309.
The Valvoline stuff is Dextron/Mercon compatible and for GM/Ford manufactured trans.
You don't know squat moderator. You never got that info from anyone.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:19 AM

ORIGINAL: lbrockman

Hello, KJVBlueXJ - I have nearly your same car, but I looked up the factory info on this transmission fluid, and it is definitely synthetic. The fluid that is being used for 5 and 6 speed automatics is: part# 1161540 (1 liter container) and part# 1161640 (4 liter container). It is specifically engineered to address 2 transmission complaints for harsh engagement/disengagement (Service bulletin 43-0029) and a Squeaking noise at low speeds (Tech Net Note # 43-11). It is not the same fluid as is used for the 4-speed automatics, which use Dexron IIIG or Dexron IIIH.

I would advise against using other fluid because it could be a very expensive mistake :-)

My .02 worth

- Lynn
He is correct, BUT the Volvo fluid is NOT synthetic. Myth created by the dealer. Those fluids are to be JWS 3309 compatible. Mobil 3309 meets that along with the "Volvo fluid" which is Mobil 3309. Dealer charges $18 a quart. Mobil charges $5.
All S60 autos are 5 speed Aisin Warner, and need JWS 3309 oil

All 4 speed trans are manufactured by GM and use Dextron fluids. I think an S80 has that trans in one of the models.

Read your owners manual. And check out Volvo forums that know their stuff.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:47 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: FredMc

ORIGINAL: tech

Are you an idiot!!!
An S60 auto???
Absolutely wrong and no dealer said that to you. Horrible information.
The Volvo manual in 05 and 06 clearly state only to use JWS 3309 compliable oils for the trans. That is Mobil 3309.
The Valvoline stuff is Dextron/Mercon compatible and for GM/Ford manufactured trans.
You don't know squat moderator. You never got that info from anyone.
Dude Calm Down!!!

We have Papers from Volvo and Vavoline stating that it is the Same oil that Volvo uses in the transmissions.
If it messes up the Transmissions Vavoline will replace adyone we use it in.

Been using it for 5 years and never any problems.

mvvette97 (04-03-2020)
Old 08-11-2006, 10:02 AM

Dude, you are not correct. Valvoline does NOT make a JWS 3309 compatible oil for Aisin Warner transmissions.
The Valvoline Synthetic Maxlife trans fluid is for Mercon and Dextron applications. GM and Ford only. You are discredited by stating the terribly wrong statement that the Volvo trans are GM and Fords for the S60's. Couldn't be more wrong.
The only one in the United States which makes a fluid compatible with Volvo 5 speed automatics is Mobil and that's Mobil 3309. And the Rebadged Volvo fluid at the dealer.

[b]You have no such information in writing from Volvo and the dealer certainly did not say the Valvoline could be used. No way.[/b
Not on Aisin Warner 5 speed automatics for the S60.
[size=4][sm=bustedsign.gif]

Old 08-11-2006, 08:56 PM
Administrator

What ever you wan to think!!!

Im done here!!

I don't come Bashing you calling you Names and telling you that you are incorrect.

If anyone should be Shot it should be you for Just joining and Bashing all the members you have in the 10 Posts you have made since you joined!!

Old 08-11-2006, 09:02 PM

See. I knew this would be a fun topic again!! Out of all the things posted, this one fires people up the most.

Old 08-11-2006, 11:08 PM
reg

Fred........please do not dis TECH. He IS a Volvo mechanic and has been for many years. His technical expertise is valuable and whereas we all disagree on certain issues...........he would not state something if it were not true. Now..........I do use the "correct" fluid in my Asin/Warner transmission.............and I do pay the dealer his $100.00 to flush the trans as I simply do not want to truck a case load of used fluid to the recycle depot. Red Line makes a synthetic auto trans fluid and they inform me that their product will not harm the Asin/Warner transmission.......................Red Line fluids are superior............I would certainly hope that you agree with that assesment and it supports TECHS use of synthetic fluid. Next thing we can argue is brake fluid, spark plugs.... but let's not. At any rate your input is valuable but let's be kind and not argue. Please note that TECH has posted over 10,000 times on this forum and gives his advice freely and on his own time. THAT'S INVALUABLE ADVICE.

REG

mvvette97 (04-03-2020)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid