Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't know I was going to.

I mean if you can't find the hex head bolt on the transmission housing under the car then don't attempt drain and fills yourself.

It's the same as changing the oil. It even has the aluminum washer to boot on it.

3.5 quarts come out, replace with JWS 3309 with whatever comes out. Finding the yellow fill tube between the radiator and the engine is overblown. It's easy to find and my hands can grab it easily. Get a hose or long oil extension and that's it to fill it.

Start the car, slowly move gear shifter from R to D and back. Run it around the block and do it again.

essay done.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always chg the oil in my cars, but it'll be a first for my S60. I read somewhere here(can't locate it since) that the bolt for the tranny is a b***ch to remove.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:53 AM

The part number of my Aisin Transmission in my '06 S60 is 55-51SN. Does that require a different fluid or will the Mobil 3309 work?

Old 03-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Default Getting warm enuf to do drain & Fill transmission

I just wanted to double chek with the experts here about my "simple drain & fill procedure on my S60. Am a bit nervous so is this akin to changing the oil? I chg the oil recently:
1-remove drain plug and let out all the oil.
2-replace plug, put on new filter
3- add 6 Quarts of oil
4- done

Is this basically the same for tranny drain and fill? I am concerned about the "droppping the pan" issue.

PS, what diameter/size magnafine filter would I need?

Old 03-22-2010, 09:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Porckhop- Would help if I knew specifically what vehicle you had...
You will need some clear hose before you can do a drain and fill properly..
I'm going to link you the info about what I did on my s80.. its a long read but it will cover everything you need...

https://volvoforums.com/forum/showth...t=transmission

I don't think the s60 has a transmission pan filter, so that leads me to recommend the magnefine even more..
3/8" is the correct size for your application by the way...

Just remember to use Mobil 3309 as your transmission fluid for the s60
http://avlube.com/mobilatf3309.html
Also, there is no such thing and TOO much fluid.. just keep draining and topping up about 2qt's at a time to get that fluid nice and fresh..

Follow the link from IPDusa on the bottom of my post.. its a nice guide for hooking up the hose etc

Old 03-23-2010, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up dear Fred please help us in UK

Originally Posted by FredMc
Didn't know I was going to.

I mean if you can't find the hex head bolt on the transmission housing under the car then don't attempt drain and fills yourself.

It's the same as changing the oil. It even has the aluminum washer to boot on it.

3.5 quarts come out, replace with JWS 3309 with whatever comes out. Finding the yellow fill tube between the radiator and the engine is overblown. It's easy to find and my hands can grab it easily. Get a hose or long oil extension and that's it to fill it.

Start the car, slowly move gear shifter from R to D and back. Run it around the block and do it again.

essay done.
I am currently a member on the UK forum and they don't seem to know what they are talking about when it comes to tranny fluid would love you to join and put them in their place.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:21 PM

Nicolas, I have a 2001 S60 automatic, not the S80 like you have. If I do not have a pan to drop, then I figure it is just like changing the oil( 2-3 qts at a time) ? I am not wanting to do a flush but just a drain & fill. Did you do a flush ? Is that what your link depicts?

Hmsggg , looks like you may have answered my quest, tranny flush being like oil chg.. What is it about "engine is overblown" ???
That sounds scary.

Last edited by Porkchop99; 03-23-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:17 PM

I didnt do a flush, as flush implies being connect to some sort of power equipment to clear out all the fluid...

What I did was drop the pan to get out as much fluid as I could.. Then did the drain and fill method 2 or 3 qt's at a time using the clear hose connected to the ATF cooler line

So I just did a regular drain and replace.. Used 15 qt's in the process..

I still prefer the clear hose method, so much easier than getting under the car and taking out drain bolts etc.. why stress yourself out with that if you can just do it from under the hood directly into a bottle of catch pan?

Old 03-24-2010, 04:34 PM

Ok, so let my figure this out.
You swapped out your tranny fluid from the top? And using an ATF cooler line?
Is this something that sucks it out and prevents having to toil underneath the car? But you did toil underneath somewhat in removing the pan?

Hope I get a better grasp on this. I have my mobil 3309 but it's gonna wait til I know the game plan exactly.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:38 PM

There is nothing that sucks it out.. You just connect the hose to the Transmission cooler line, right next to the radiator..
Then you start the car, let it run about 5 or 10 seconds.. See how much fluid came out, replace with the same amount.. And do the same thing repeatedly..
For my catch bottles I used old Tide bottles and Old Windshield Wiper fluid bottles.. they are marked so you know exactly what came out

The only reason I dropped the pan was to change the pan filter, which is irrelevant to you because you dont have one...

http://www.ipdusa.com/uploads/sku_files/7945_INST.PDF
That should help you understand a bit more...

Old 03-25-2010, 04:53 PM

Aha, almost got it.
So the engine pumps it out when running.
what happens if I leave it running more then 10-15 secs, would all the old tranny fluid get spewed out?
Also, what size diameter hose is required?

Really appreciate the info!

Old 03-25-2010, 08:10 PM

read my earlier writeup or FCP's both links I have sent to you before... That explains it...
I hate to be fussy, but we just keep on discussing the same things over and over... Its all there, read it and apply some common sense...
What do YOU think will happen if you run a transmission and let all the old tranny fluid get spewed out... Try it and find out...

Old 04-14-2010, 03:08 AM

Found another manufacturer for JWS 3309 Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle, you can buy it from Walmart or Advance Auto parts and is labeled for Volvo Aisin Warner trannys

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp...s_ImportMV.pdf

Old 07-21-2010, 11:01 PM

OK, here is a new twist. We bought an 06 XC90 with the aisin 5 speed in 08. At 52k miles when the boss had the oil changed she also let the dealer do a flush and fill for about $225. She was told something about the warranty being no good unless she took exceptional care of the car.

They used BG universal fluid. I saw them hook up the machine.

4k miles later she has the oil changed again, and they tell her the trans fluid is burnt and it should be flushed. Yours truly read the service dept the riot act about trying to charge me twice etc. They offered to reflush the tranny.

the car is a CPO car and here is my dilemma:

Do I insist they immediately flush out the BG burnt stuff and install a 3309 fluid and hope no "significant" as in $5k transmission job damage was done,

or

Do I leave the BG burnt stuff in there and hope the tranny fries itself sooner than later?

The receipt says BG transmission flush, and I saw the box with the universal BG synthetic fluid.

Last edited by T-S2; 07-21-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:16 PM
Default transmission fluid vs transaxle fluid

Are transmission fluid and transaxle fluid the same thing? If not, can someone tell me the proper transaxle fluid to buy for my 2002 s60 AWD with geartronic?

thanks

Old 12-02-2010, 08:35 AM

awsome thread! i bought my volvo with a blown tranny and im putting a new tranny in and i had no idea what kind of oil to put in until now!!

and about that volvo tech guy at the begining of this thread stating false information.. reminds me of the volvo mechanic i went to in kitchener asking about the blown tranny and he said theres no such thing as a third gear band,, right away i noticed he doesnt know **** about volvo transmissions lol just likes to pretend he does,,fookin cocky dumbass.. lol

Old 12-02-2010, 08:42 AM

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

canadian tire has this oil looks like! and in the description it states its for aisin AW transmissions... volvo toyota etc...

Old 12-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Default Volvo recalls 6000 cars

Have you heard about the new models being recalled into service. That includes the 2010 s60, s80, xc60 . It seems they have some problems with the chips, the fuel runs off. http://www.volvo-dealers.com/volvo-news/

Old 12-10-2010, 05:38 PM

For transmission fluid information you may to contact the main Volvo dealer near to you , After that you go to change the fluid .

Old 02-09-2011, 07:50 PM

I know this is an old thread but it was helpful. I was having issues with my 01 S60 jumping into gears. I took it for a tranny flush and its running smoothly.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid