Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

The Volvo R

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Volvo R

Okay can someone give me an honest answer on what does the R stand for? S is sedan V is wagon C is coupe R is what? Please settle this for me once and for all.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:37 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: The Volvo R

I may be wrong but I have always thought it stood for RACING EDITION. But again I might be wrong.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:42 PM

That is kind of how I have always understood it but the BMW guys are arguing with me about it so I am looking for more input on the subject. I just HATE it if they are right.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Administrator

I wish I had more to give you. I know that only the faster special edition cars get the R badge.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:57 PM

Thanks for your help, I am sure someone around here has an answer even if I have to call the swedes directly to find out! I would ask the dealer but sales people are not the best source you know?

Old 01-26-2009, 07:19 PM

Ok, from what I knowabout Volvoit was Conned. as a "High performance variant" or some say racing or in some Volvo brochures states "Race Inspired"similar tothe "M" series in BMW or could also say "AMG"version of Mec.
Now intresting enough in 08,09 there's a "R design" http://www.volvocars.com/us/Document...res_VCUS_2.pdf, but the older "R" is race inspired. Here's a cut and paste from aVolvo spokesperson on what the "R" is "
[/align]
Volvo "R" emblem.[/align]The mission of the new 'R' cars is to reinforce "driving excitement" as a Volvo virtue. "We have always incorporated leading edge technology into our 'R' cars," states Nilsson, "with the level of technology currently available, and with our innovative applications,...we feel that we can send a very strong message about the Volvo brand."
Volvo projects sales of 2,500 "R" cars for North America - 7,000 worldwide.
The target audience for the vehicles is expected to be male-dominated, by as much as 94 percent in the United States. "The American buyer has a more relaxed attitude, looking for a top-of-the-line car that's fun to drive," Nilsson said in indicating the Volvo 'R' cars are ideal vehicles for the American road, and the American driver."

Intresting enough here's some other Deciphering and I quote from a Volvo PDF thatwon't let mecopy a link: "
Models with current denomination
Today, the company uses a system of letters denoting body style followed by the series number. Although not official, it is fairly accepted that S stands for saloon or sedan, C stands for coupé or convertible and V stands for versatile or estate car. V has also been identified as meaning vagon, or wagon, and is used strictly for the station wagon line (In Sweden, they pronounce their W's like V's). XC stands for cross country originally added to a more rugged V70 model as the V70XC and indicates all wheel drive paired with a raised suspension to give it a mock SUV look. Volvo would later change the name to the XC70 in keeping with its car naming consistent with the XC90. So a V50 is an estate ("V") in the smaller 40/50 series"

I hope this helps you in your answer for the BMW guys...

Old 01-26-2009, 07:57 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I always thought it is "Race Inspired" or "Racing".
Hence my dads license plate: R4RACIN

The "R-Design", IMO, is a joke. Volvo should have never done that.
R for performance, not style!

Last edited by TIPSP; 02-04-2009 at 06:57 PM. Reason: licence plate removal
Old 01-26-2009, 08:02 PM

ORIGINAL: TIPSP

I always thought it is "Race Inspired" or "Racing".
Hence my dads license plates [sm=smiley2.gif]:

The "R-Design", IMO, is a joke. Volvo should have never done that.
R for performance, not style!
Right and also Ford makes a V6 mustang which should be an 8, but oh Wait Ford=Volvo,lol.........

Old 01-26-2009, 09:58 PM

Thanks for all the help guys! TIPSP tell your dad he stole my idea for the plate on my R LOL! This will help with the BMW guys but one of them has Z3 and the other an M3, I know I can smoke the Z3 but the M might give me a run. I wish I could find any document to say R = Race inspired.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[sm=roll.gif]

The M3 will out handle you, but Your R will be faster in the straighs with just a lil more boost.
If you were to upgrade the suspension a little, and upgrade the ECU, turbo-back exhaust, Intake....well do I have to say it [sm=smiley2.gif]

Old 01-27-2009, 07:13 AM

ORIGINAL: TIPSP

[sm=roll.gif]

The M3 will out handle you, but Your R will be faster in the straighs with just a lil more boost.
If you were to upgrade the suspension a little, and upgrade the ECU, turbo-back exhaust, Intake....well do I have to say it [sm=smiley2.gif]
Say it man! [sm=gears.gif]Say it..............[sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif]........................[sm=owned.gif]

Old 01-27-2009, 08:08 AM

This topic somes up every now and then on SS, and IIRC the genereal concensus is that it is for Racing. Although I don't remember seeing any definitive proof.Just adds to the mystique IMO.

Anyway for a bit of trivia, althoughBMW's M is for Motorsport, AMG is named after the two founders last names -A and M- and the G is for Grobaspach (sp?) the town it was founded in.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:50 AM

Is there such a thing as a power programmer for Volvo like there is for most American made cars or do I have to remove the ECU and have it upgraded?

Old 01-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Administrator

I would just send it out and have it programmed.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:13 AM

R sport parts was a division within volvo in the 60's to provide performance parts for racing. These were in the R catalog. My 68 P1800 has a positrac rear end that was an R sport division option, and it had aluminum timing gears marked with a small R. No one I know has ever seen these gears before, but they came with my 68. Unfortunately, they wore out just about as fast as the fiber gears.

The R used to stand for Rallye, as Volvo was quite a rallye powerhouse with the amazon and the 544. I have Rallye gauges in my 69 164.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:51 AM

TIPSP, get this I just found out that the M is not even a true M. It is kind of like what the new R is. It is a design package on his car, the red and M wheels fooled me. I told him to keep quite from now on or I will smoke his "styling package"!

Old 01-27-2009, 11:53 AM

[sm=bustedsign.gif]

Old 01-27-2009, 12:21 PM

Somthngfrce, YOU KNOW IT! I just love the fact my "ultra liberal Volvo" ( there name not mine) can put their car on the curb!

Old 01-27-2009, 12:33 PM

Yes, having a "SLEEPER" is the best. They'll never know what hit them, and the best is the priceless face they make once they realize what happened too!

Old 01-27-2009, 12:45 PM

Okay I have a question guys, I am seeing some shirts and hoodies with the R logo and AWD FTW. What is FTW?