Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Volvo vs. Audi in Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo vs. Audi in Maintenance

Hello All, Ihave a 2004 Audi A6 S-Line, but I always wanted a Volvo, I got talked out of a 2004 S60 R,it did have some problem tho. Are Volvo's and Audi'smaintenance cost about the same? It so, I will be trading the Audi in for a Volvo.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:14 AM
Default RE: Volvo vs. Audi in Maintenance

Having owned an S4 and dropping US$5K for blown turbos for no reason at 80K miles (post-warranty) I went back to Volvo in a hurry. Yes, Volvos are cheaper to maintain and much much cheaper to fix. However, you have accept the fact that Volvo is not a German car.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:49 AM

I've been reading about the turbos in the Audi's, my car has the 2.7 engine that the S4's had. I had the car for 5 month and I'm questioning myself everyday. How are the turbos in the Volvos?

Old 11-28-2007, 11:20 AM

The turbos in Volvos are known, according to indy mechanics I've talked to, to be rock-solid. In fact over the holiday I was talking with a mechanic that was reccomended to me and he said that Volvo has got tuning a turbo engine down to an art. he said they used to put strain on the engine, but not anymore, and that todays LPT and HPT turbos will usually outlast many of the other engine parts.

The fact is, though, that you are going to lose a little drive quality. The R handles fine, with it's adapative suspension and all, but it's FWD or AWD. Coming from RWD German sedans before I bought my S60, I was used to things like near zero body roll, and near perfect f/r weight distribution. You won't get that in an S60. But you will get a number of other great features. A wonderful interior. A wonderful powertain. Brilliant seats. Incredible safety features.

It's a trade-off, but one I'm happy with. I've only owned my S60 for 6 months, but I've gotta say, they got me. Volvo. For Life.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:26 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Volvo's are not cheap to maintain. Don't even think they are, because your dead wrong.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:58 PM

ORIGINAL: S70driver

Volvo's are not cheap to maintain. Don't even think they are, because your dead wrong.

I know they're not cheap to maintain, I was asking if the cost was about the same asmy Audi,basically which one cost the most to maintain because I'm going for the cheaper oneout of the two.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think that there is going to be a huge difference in the cost. Labor is the same pretty much no matter where you get the work done and import parts are always more expensive. The only variable is the amount of parts that wear out.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:33 AM

I disagree. Audi, BMW and Mercedes are in a class to themselves in terms of maintenance and repair costs. My neighbor has an A4 and he tells me that the standard oil change (albeit syntheic) goes for $120 at the dealership. Of course, you do get free cookies

Volvos are more expensive to repair than domestics. But compared to the big-3 german brands, it's going to be lighter on your wallet.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:30 PM

ORIGINAL: LoveMyS60

I disagree. Audi, BMW and Mercedes are in a class to themselves in terms of maintenance and repair costs. My neighbor has an A4 and he tells me that the standard oil change (albeit syntheic) goes for $120 at the dealership. Of course, you do get free cookies

Volvos are more expensive to repair than domestics. But compared to the big-3 german brands, it's going to be lighter on your wallet.
Your neighbor is right, in my A6, the dealer charge $130 for a oil change, thats what I'm trying to get away from. I always loved Volvo's since the 850's and think Volvo's are under rated in some areas. I'm going to trade my Audi in for a Volvo anyway, but on a scale, how dose Volvo match up against the big 3 German brands, meaning value,mainly Audi because I think there lower then BMW and Benz.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned at least one Volvo since 1985 and now own three of them and nothing else. When you used the work "Value"that's what I think you get with a Volvo. Way more value for your money, and they do not cost as much to maintain as the quote "Big 3" European cars. My in laws have ownedfour Saabs, two BMW's and two Mercedes after they owned an 83 Volvo. They ended up with another Volvo after trying the other ones. I have no experience with Audi though, but I do like the looks of them and have considered one at some point, but I just keep buying Volvo's. I really like the 850 R's best though. My choice on the newer ones is either a V70 or S60, but always an R. My oldest daughter has a 99 S80 T6, my son has a 98 V70 R and my youngest daughter has a 95 850 Turbo wagon. We are a Volvo family.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:22 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

And once I get a decent job that pays well I am going to own hopefully an Audi. I'm looking for something new and Audi's just spike my interest.

Unless I get an SUV for winter driving.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:32 PM

ORIGINAL: S70driver

And once I get a decent job that pays well I am going to own hopefully an Audi. I'm looking for something new and Audi's just spike my interest.

Unless I get an SUV for winter driving.
The Audi is nice, don't get me wrong...I traded in a Infiniti I30 to get it, but the Audi isn't what I thought it was going to be, it's not fast enough, but it handles like a champ. My heart was set on the Volvo, I got talked out of a 04 S60Rmanualbecause the back seat was to small (for a car seat). If you really want a Audi, read the forums first (Audiforums.com), you might change your mind.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:25 PM

I am an s60 owner going on 4 months now. I love it! The other car I was considering was the Saab but am glad i went with the volvo. by the way I pay $70 for an oil change at the volvo dealer (synthetic).

Old 12-11-2007, 12:59 PM

Hi All,

First day in this forum. I figured I'd post because I just traded an A4 for an S60. I loved the A4. But I couldn't take the Audi service centers. Complete jerks. I'm mechanically inclined and can do most anything provided special tools aren't needed. Most of my wrenching is on my motorcycles these days. Including using a laptop to tweek FI maps and such. I've caught Audi dealers red handed doing various shadey moves. Not just one. All three in my area!!!

It's my wife's car and I just couldn't take it any more. It's a '99 w/ 95K miles. The car was fine. But given it's age I wasn't comfortable keeping it without having a reliable service center I could depend on. So we figured we'd give Volvo a try. The A4 was not the most reliable car I've ever owned. Not by a long shot. So I'm hoping the S60 will be less expensive and less hassle. I guess we'll see.

A few weeks ago I went to the Auto Show in Boston. I stopped in the Audi booth to complain. One Audi rep looked at the other and said... "Apparently we have a problem here in the northeast, I can't count how many complaints I've had today." And we strolled over to the Volvo booth:-) Where the rep's were well trained, knowledgeable and really seemed to like working for Volvo. To me, that speaks volumes.

We pick up the new ride in about an hour. I hope I can return to this forum and report goodness for a long time to come.

Thanks!

Old 03-01-2008, 07:40 PM

Hate to tell you this but you can get AmsOil (best synthetic on the market) from a local provider for about $40 and the filter online for $10 and 30 minutes later, you have a 20k to 25k oil change for $50 total...... just takes an oil wrench, socket wrench and jack the car up about 8 inches.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:41 PM

ORIGINAL: LoveMyS60

Our C240 gets an oil change every 10k miles when the Service A or B light comes on and it costs about $150. Most dealers charge 210.

I suppose one oil change a year isn't that big a deal for $150.