Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Where to Send Dim for Repair

Old 08-27-2014, 08:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad it worked out for you.

You know if the dealers weren't so over the top with this stuff I would use them. They would get a labor charge, they could send the thing to BBS and get a dealer wholesale price and make a bit of money of the spread. Nope they want the big killing and because of it.....they are ending up with nothing.

I have an independent mech that I do at times use and he would get the thing rebuilt, make a bit of money on the part (because he got a wholesale price) and a bit of labor to replace the thing. He would never charge some crazy book rate to do a 15 minute job.

Originally Posted by Sven's Owner
Last Monday my DIM went haywire. The dealership diagnosed the problem over the phone and offered a $1,600 repair. Thanks to you fine folks, I found BBS, shipped off my DIM (I pulled the part last Thursday BY MYSELF!!!) and got it back today. Three business days later, Sven and I are back on the road and fully operable. THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

Old 11-01-2014, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIM removal procedure for S60 2011

I have a 2011 S60 T6 and the audio output from the DIM (for all the various alarms/ alerts etc.) has gone.
All other functions & displays are ok.
Volvo service is asking for the DIM to be renewed, which needless to say costs a lot.
I hope that the problem could be the speaker or something that can be repaired.
Could anyone please give me a procedure for safe removal of the DIM. I have not done that before.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jfxavier; 11-01-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by 2002VolvoS60
We just had our DIM refurbed through BBA Remaufacturing Inc. Chevrolet, Chevy items in BBA store on eBay! 866 573-2740 Near Boston ... Taunton, MA. They had a special on ebay for overnight shipping. They have really good reviews and once we paid online they emailed us with the shipping label. It was simple to remove the whole instrument panel/cluster. In 45 mins from paying we boxed it and dropped it off at Staples to overnighted it. They fixed our DIM the next morning and turned it around that day. (Refurbing your DIM keeps the cars actual mileage intact - as opposed to buying salvage - which might also be bad) We thought about having a computer savvy friend check and re-solder the DIM's capacitors ( see this forum Dashboard Problems - Volvo Forum : Volvo Forums ) - but felt more comfortable with BAA because of the lifetime warranty. The dealer was going to charge over $1000 for the new DIM plus 3 hrs labor. BAA charged $339. Once re-installed the codes will need to be cleared. DIM first, THEN from the SRS module. We don't have the diagnostic tool, so we went back to the dealer. They cleared the codes for $47 labor. Our Volvo dealer now recommends this solution for customers with used Volvo's out of warranty. We just bought it 10,000 miles ago for $3000. Other threads mention instrument cluster/DIM remanufacturing companies in CA and VA.
I seen your post and although it was awhile back I have a question. I was curious what was happening to your instrument cluster that the new DIM fixed?? I have an 03 S60 that I recently repaired from a front end wreck. When I drive it now the instrument cluster works fine for a few miles then completely dies (like the car was shut off). I can shut the car off and restart and it is fine but again for only a few miles before blacking out again. Thanks for the post and look forward to your feedback here or at kdobey@aol.com.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:19 AM

What you describe is what was happening to our instrument cluster and the DIM refurb fixed it. No speedometer was rather disconcerting. Just like what you are seeing, we also saw an intermittent cluster.

Originally Posted by brdiemn
I seen your post and although it was awhile back I have a question. I was curious what was happening to your instrument cluster that the new DIM fixed?? I have an 03 S60 that I recently repaired from a front end wreck. When I drive it now the instrument cluster works fine for a few miles then completely dies (like the car was shut off). I can shut the car off and restart and it is fine but again for only a few miles before blacking out again. Thanks for the post and look forward to your feedback here or at kdobey@aol.com.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick question for those who have done this. Is the car driveable with the dash out? My cluster died today, though the driver message center had been acting funny, so I suspected I would be dealing with it soon.

After seeing on youtube how quickly it can be pulled out, I decided to just experiment. The answer is no, it cannot be driven with the cluster out. Some weird things happen with the HVAC with the cluster out. The fan would keep running even though the ignition was turned off. Now to decide when to pull it and who to send it to. Several vendors on ebay, but most likely will stick with BBA based on others reporting favorably. Will update when complete.

Last edited by pkrface; 02-19-2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:21 AM

I used BBA and had a very good experience. You will need to go to a dealer to have the light turned off.

I think there is one rebuild company that has a selling point that they reset the cluster and you won't need to go to the dealer. Their service cost several hundred dollars more than BBA and I could get mine reset at a Volvo shop for a lot less.

Originally Posted by pkrface
Quick question for those who have done this. Is the car driveable with the dash out? My cluster died today, though the driver message center had been acting funny, so I suspected I would be dealing with it soon.

After seeing on youtube how quickly it can be pulled out, I decided to just experiment. The answer is no, it cannot be driven with the cluster out. Some weird things happen with the HVAC with the cluster out. The fan would keep running even though the ignition was turned off. Now to decide when to pull it and who to send it to. Several vendors on ebay, but most likely will stick with BBA based on others reporting favorably. Will update when complete.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by urdrwho
What you describe is what was happening to our instrument cluster and the DIM refurb fixed it. No speedometer was rather disconcerting. Just like what you are seeing, we also saw an intermittent cluster.

Thank you for the response. I ended up taking the car to a friend who removed the DIM. He took it to someone who solders computer boards and let him heat up the existing solder on the chip everyone spoke of. It fixed it for awhile but it is back to the blacking out but not nearly as often. I will have to get the car back home from my son's college and I am planning to send it to one of the refurbishing companies that have been mentioned in the threads. Just glad to know there is a good chance of fully repairing it. Regards,

Old 02-21-2015, 01:25 PM

Re-flowing a board is hit or miss. Most likely he used a heat gun to heat up the board. Been there done that with computer stuff and I've had it work sometimes --- sometimes not. A computer board isn't bouncing along the road so the re-flow may work better on a computer board that is in a home, sitting on a desk.

I've also tried to solder loose pins on the boards and wow -- you can burn through a board in no time.

Originally Posted by brdiemn
Thank you for the response. I ended up taking the car to a friend who removed the DIM. He took it to someone who solders computer boards and let him heat up the existing solder on the chip everyone spoke of. It fixed it for awhile but it is back to the blacking out but not nearly as often. I will have to get the car back home from my son's college and I am planning to send it to one of the refurbishing companies that have been mentioned in the threads. Just glad to know there is a good chance of fully repairing it. Regards,

Old 03-03-2015, 02:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

UPDATE:

Got my DIM back from BBA. Fantastic communication and service! They received my DIM @ 8:30 in the morning and had it turned back over to UPS by 11:30 that same day. Reinstalled it and everything is working as it should. Took it to Volvo specialty shop this morning and had SRS message cleared, so everything is back to normal. All told, the DIM rebuild for $229 with 2nd day air shipping, one week car rental for $203, and $105 to clear the SRS message (kinda a rip off, but what you gonna do?) my cost to take care of the issue was $538, less than 1/2 what the Volvo specialty shop wanted for a new DIM ($1200) and nearly 1/3 the $1500 dealer cost. BBA, while not the cheapest option on ebay ($60 more than the cheapest) does give you a "lifetime" warranty. Of course only time will tell if this was a wise choice. If I have to send it back every 3 months, while not costing anything but the shipping, would soon get old. God willing I'll still be driving the car 2 years and 60K+ miles from now with the still working DIM and report back again. Car currently has 177K on it with no signs of major mechanical issues.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:59 AM

Clearing that SRS code does hurt $$$$$

I've seen a code reader that advertises the ability to clear SRS codes on a Volvo. Cost @ $450.

Originally Posted by pkrface
UPDATE:

Got my DIM back from BBA. Fantastic communication and service! They received my DIM @ 8:30 in the morning and had it turned back over to UPS by 11:30 that same day. Reinstalled it and everything is working as it should. Took it to Volvo specialty shop this morning and had SRS message cleared, so everything is back to normal. All told, the DIM rebuild for $229 with 2nd day air shipping, one week car rental for $203, and $105 to clear the SRS message (kinda a rip off, but what you gonna do?) my cost to take care of the issue was $538, less than 1/2 what the Volvo specialty shop wanted for a new DIM ($1200) and nearly 1/3 the $1500 dealer cost. BBA, while not the cheapest option on ebay ($60 more than the cheapest) does give you a "lifetime" warranty. Of course only time will tell if this was a wise choice. If I have to send it back every 3 months, while not costing anything but the shipping, would soon get old. God willing I'll still be driving the car 2 years and 60K+ miles from now with the still working DIM and report back again. Car currently has 177K on it with no signs of major mechanical issues.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:44 AM

Has anyone ever used "SEKRA Global" to repair their DIM. They are located in Toronto Canada. Cant seem to find any that has written any reviews as to their Service!!
Thanks All

Old 02-02-2016, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by lionhearted1
Hi,

Would somebody happen to know where I could send my 2004 S60 Dim out for repair, or could I do it myself. I read that the voltage regulator needed to be re-soldered. But thats what I read. I'm from N.H.

Thank You
Richard
you and send email to volvoparts@live.com he can replace and repair the dim for Volvo and other modules

Old 05-03-2017, 09:41 AM
Default DIM wipe

Originally Posted by urdrwho
Doing an internet search and it is amazing how many people have had this DIM issue on their Volvo. To me it seems that someone someplace in the manufacturing chain had to know. I guess if the manufacturers who knew about faulty ignition switches on GM cars and knew for 3 years....Volvo may have known but determined the DIM to be a non-issue.

Although when the dash goes out on the freeway doing 75 MPH would be a problem.

On my Jaguar the attack seat belts had an issue and because of it Jaguar had to warranty the belts for the life of the vehicle.

"GM employees, from engineers to executives, were aware of the problem, acting administrator David Friedman told reporters at a news conference after U.S. transportation officials "

I am going to try the ebay seller mentioned in this thread. I could try to do it myself, my son has had good results re-flowing computer boards but for the ebay price, why even try myself.

This thread has a DIY for fixing the problem.

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...g-47216/page3/
Just called those ebay people and they can repair, but in my case I may use a used dim to replace mine, those guys are unable to wipe data on DIM. XEMODEX is able to viganize them, so if yours is very messed up, that may be best bet.