Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

98 s70 refuses to turn over after 2 new starters

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 s70 refuses to turn over after 2 new starters

I have a 1998 Volvo s70 GLT (automatic) and it refuses to turn over. I recently replaced the starter and it worked for about 2 weeks until one night when I started driving within the first 2 minutes my headlights dimmed twice in a row. I didn't think much about that, but once I got where I was going (about 5 miles down the road) I shut the car off and it never started back up. This was about 2 weeks ago.

I have replaced the new starter with another new starter and that didn't make a difference. I fully charged the battery and nothing happened. Everything lights up, fuel pump makes noise, horn works, neutral safety switch seems to be functioning fine, and according to the test light its getting power, but when you turn the key absolutely nothing happens.

I noticed the key was stuck in the ignition and the steering column wasn't locked, so I thought maybe that was my issue. I sprayed the shift override button and gear shift button and whacked the shifter with a hammer, out pops the key, column locks, still nothing.

When I jump the solenoid with a screwdriver it spins the starter motor, but does not engage the flywheel to actually turn the engine. The only thing I can think of is I drove the car in heavy rain the day before this happened so who knows. I've tried everything I can think of. I've never seen anything like this, but then again this is my first Volvo. Any advice would be appreciated!

Old 03-01-2016, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

1. check fuses/relays
2. inspect battery cables/terminals, clean and tighten
3. measure voltages - battery key off, battery key on, connector at starter etc...

volvowiringdiagrams.com is a good resource to see what connects to what...

Old 03-02-2016, 09:12 AM

Forgot to mention I did change starter relay and ignition fuse. The terminals are clean. I may just replace them altogether.

Originally Posted by mt6127
1. check fuses/relays
2. inspect battery cables/terminals, clean and tighten
3. measure voltages - battery key off, battery key on, connector at starter etc...

volvowiringdiagrams.com is a good resource to see what connects to what...

Old 03-02-2016, 10:39 AM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Instead of jumping the solenoid with a screwdriver, which just spins the motor, jump from the battery cable to the little wire. That will bypass the entire world to turn on the solenoid. The solenoid will turn on the starter.

3 things can happen: A, nothing. B, solenoid turns on with a robust click but the engine goes not turn. C, engine turns.

If you don't want to do that, you could instead use your test light to verify power going to the little pin on the starter when you turn the key to "start".

It's important to determine whether or not you need to work on the starter. If you've changed it, it's suspect. Auto parts stores sell some bad stuff.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

When you turn the key, does the starter spin but not engage, or no starter spin unless you jumper the Solenoid? I suspect a bad bendix in the starter if it spins but will not engage the flywheel. But if the starter only spins if you jumper the solenoid, then it or the associated wiring from the ignition switch to the solenoid is suspect as well. You might have two separate problems here.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:10 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

to the forum wollnutz

Old 03-05-2016, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by wollnutz
I have a 1998 Volvo s70 GLT (automatic) and it refuses to turn over. I recently replaced the starter and it worked for about 2 weeks until one night when I started driving within the first 2 minutes my headlights dimmed twice in a row. I didn't think much about that, but once I got where I was going (about 5 miles down the road) I shut the car off and it never started back up. This was about 2 weeks ago.
Sounds more like an battery/connection/alternator issue.

Originally Posted by wollnutz
When I jump the solenoid with a screwdriver it spins the starter motor, but does not engage the flywheel to actually turn the engine. The only thing I can think of is I drove the car in heavy rain the day before this happened so who knows. I've tried everything I can think of. I've never seen anything like this, but then again this is my first Volvo. Any advice would be appreciated!

Sounds like solenoid is stuck. Hit it with boom stick while cranking and see what happens.

Old 03-05-2016, 05:40 PM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

And don't forget, Rule 1: Always keep boom stick pointed in a safe direction.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:52 AM

Update: I used a multimeter to test the battery and cables. I'm getting around 12 volts to starter post. I removed the small green wire on the solenoid for testing. It was at almost 10 volts with key in the run position and when key was turned all the way to start the voltage dropped to 0.03. Anyone experience this before?

Old 03-06-2016, 03:03 AM

Dead battery or bad connection.

Take the battery to any auto part store and they will test it for free.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Definitely sounds like the battery is weak. Get it charged up or replaced and see what happens.