Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

After a drained battery: gas gauge, speedometer, temp gauge and RPM gauge all dead

Old 05-05-2014, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After a drained battery: gas gauge, speedometer, temp gauge and RPM gauge all dead

Hi folks!

I have a weird problem I'm hoping you can help me and my mechanic with. I just got my AC repaired, and then had a new stereo system installed (no more CODE for me!). But the stereo folks left the back passenger door open a crack, leaving a light on, and drained my battery completely.

I called AAA, got a new battery, etc., all's good. But now the gas gauge, speedometer, temp gauge, and RPM gauge are all dead. As is the thermometer readout by the clock display.

Everything else seems to be working fine. Dash lights, odometer, stupid new stereo, headlights, clock, dome lights...but I need a reliable fuel gauge because I'm about to drive cross country. And like, you know, speedometer is nice.

My mechanic looked at all my fuses, but that's not the issue. I started googling and reading up on wacky drive cycle reset procedures (really, Volvo?), but I'd love to hear if any of you have experienced anything like this or know of a way to fix it.

Thanks so much!

Old 05-05-2014, 11:39 PM

Your speedo isnt working and your odometer is?? I know the abs sensor is resposible for speedo and odometer but if its all just out my guess would be ignition related. I believe that powers most things in the interior of the car, so I would start there. Hopefully someone more experienced will chime in and correct me if im wrong.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:18 AM

Yes, lots of things are working, but the speedo, fuel, temp and RPM gauges are slack, zero, dead. And a bunch of random alarm lights are on. Like my gas light, unhelpfully, since the tank is full.

Okay though, I'll tell the mechanic to look at the ABS sensor and ignition systems.

It starts and runs fine though. I drove it about 100 miles hoping that would re-set something mysterious in the dark heart of the Volvo. But no dice.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:01 PM

I would take a look at how the stereo people installed the stereo. If they had to use their own wiring they may have inadvertently pulled a plug off or they were stealing power from a plug and left it off. There are only a few plug-ins for the dash. There may be a video referencing that. Your mechanic should be able to pull the radio out and follow the wiring to see what was done with that. If that doesn't help, I'd pull the lower panel under the steering column and look for a loose or disconnected plug-in and maybe even a splice

Old 05-06-2014, 04:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's not the battery, it's probably caused by the radio work. did you put an original radio?
what has been fixed for the A/C? did they work on the central panel?
that's the items that would mess the instrument panel (the reason the gauges are dead + warning lights are on)

Old 05-14-2014, 08:27 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm with KWatt. They likely cut a ground or something.

Also, please include the year model of your car.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:26 AM

I had a battery issue and after the replacement we had the same issues. Turns out it was the dash computer. That cost $1600 to replace.

My mechanic said that the car should not be jumped from under the hood. I have read that to be safe the battery should be charged to restart or at least jumped from the battery.

I found this resource on new dash computers.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=9&t=59346

Nationwide Speedometer and Instrument Cluster Repair