Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo S70
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-22-2007, 08:11 PM

Default Buying a car accross state lines (car in MD me in PA)

Hi guys, This stricly is not a question that belongs here as it could apply to any car. I am in PA and have found a car I wish to purhcase in MD. Question is how do the tax's work would I pay Sales tax in MD or PA or if I have the car shiped back from MD to PA do I pay any tax at all?
Thanks
James
Old 08-22-2007, 09:29 PM

Default RE: Buying a car accross state lines (car in MD me in PA)

I'm pretty sure you'll pay the taxes in the state you register it in... You'll probably need to do some sort of title transfer to get PA to get the title from MD.

A search quickly found thePA policy concerning thisfrom this site: (http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/motorVehi...r/buying.shtml).
It doesn't mention the taxes, but I'm pretty sure when you go to register it you'll have to pay the state's taxes on it. (If you buy from a dealer out of state, the dealer might try to charge you their state (MD) tax. If this happens, you should save that receipt and bring it to the PA DMV to get credit for paying the tax.)

Good luck!

The following is from the PA DMV site:[*]
Buying a Used Vehicle with an Out of State Title
Out of State titles are used in conjunction with Form MV-1, “Application for Certificate of Title.” This form is only available from authorized agents of PennDOT.
Many times out-of-state lienholders refuse to release the title in their possession to another state unless the lien has been satisfied. Applicants are required to contact their lienholders prior to completing their MV-1 application to determine whether or not the lienholder will release the out of state title to the vehicle owner. More information can be found on our How to Title and Register Your Out of State Vehicle fact sheet.
When buying a car which has been titled in another state, the purchaser should check the back of the title carefully. There should be a place for the seller’s signature and the car’s present odometer reading. The seller’s signature may be required to be notarized on some out-of-state titles. It is a good idea to consult a dealer, tag service, notary or the Bureau of Motor Vehicles about out-of-state title transfers.
You will need to provide several items to the agent to complete your application. Please take a copy of your current Pennsylvania Drivers License or Pennsylvania Photo Identification Card. If you are a business or non-profit organization buying a car, please make sure you bring the acceptable identification requirements with you as well.
A copy of your current insurance identification card is required if registration is to be issued.
VIN verification is required for out of state vehicles.
If the vehicle is being given as a gift, the Form MV-13ST, “Affidavit of Gift” must be attached to the title application. This form must be completed by all transferees and transferors and attached to Form MV-1 or MV-4ST for any transfer for which a gift exemption (Exemption 13) for purposes of Pennsylvania Sales and Use Tax is claimed.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:52 AM

thank I will have to check that out, also are the taxes on luxary cars higher? So something like a Volvo, Mercedes or BMW gets a higher tax than say a dodge or a Ford?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to Auburn T5

Not sure about your state but I'm in alabama and bought a car that was in florida. I paid for the car, it was shipped to me, I went to the DMV and registered the car. Paid for the tag and tax at once. I think it was like $350 total for mine. 4 to 6 weeks later, you get a new title for the car in your state.

98 S70 T5M

B&G springs, Koni sports, Custom 3" turbo back exhaust, Precision Turbo FMIC, Stern 18's

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v212/fastredponycar/Volvo/S70/
Old 09-02-2007, 01:17 PM

Hey Drew thanks again, I saw the FMIC on youtube it looks good. Do you know if you pay more tax on a luxary car like a Volvo, Mercedes or Cadillac compared to a Ford, Dodge or Pontiac?

Also a quick question, from your replydo I understand crectly that you paid the taxes in the state that you regisered the car?

Thanks
James
Old 09-02-2007, 10:13 PM

Hi James,

I think most states base the taxes on the sale price or "assessed value" (in cases of moving from one state to another)of the car. Naturally luxury cars will sell (or be assessed) higher than your standard car so the taxes would be higher. However, a Volvo valued at $5000 should have the same amount of taxes as a Ford valued at $5000.

You should be able to call the DMV and find out how much the taxes will be for a specific car or sale price.

Hope that helps.

CJG
Old 09-02-2007, 10:13 PM

Tags
buying, car, cars, complete, md, ohio, pa, pennsylvania, purchase, purchasing, register, state, title, transfer, transfers