Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

coolant leak under car to the rear of engine?? what is it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default coolant leak under car to the rear of engine?? what is it?

I have been having to add water for some reason. couldnt tell where it might be coming from till today.

there is a hose on the backside of engine bay area but car is currently too hot for me to reach in and see how big or where it goes.

its about the size of heater hose . I think it may be the tranny cooler hose but all I can see of it is a real short U bend where it connects to the back of whatever it is ...lol...I was a little nervous being under it as it was hot and I didnt have the jack stands and all in place. I was just doing a quick look.

is there a hose diagram somewhere?

Old 09-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tranny has no water heat exchange back there. You say water then you switch to tranny. Stick to water. It is the heater hoses. I even have one that leaks when the air here in Tucson gets over 105. Too much pressure builds up and the hose leaks. They can fail and leak like crazy. I drove across town the last time I had one fail to get it changed and could get 10 miles before I had to add water.

The hoses hook to the firewall with 90 degree metal connectors then to metal pipes on the back of the engine. One metal pipe goes all the way to the passenger side of the engine. Then to the water pump and coolant tank area. The other side goes just a short distance to the drivers side. Look at part 35, 36 and 14 that is all the water lines on the back side drivers side of the engine.

Attached Thumbnails coolant leak under car to the rear of engine?? what is it?-cooling-system.jpg  
Old 09-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

There is a hose at the back of the head near the timing belt cover that may be leaking. I cut mine when I pulled the heat shield. Also, there is a turbo cooling like I believe. It may have coolant in it. You'll have to wait till the motor cools off.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:50 AM

I guess I did a bad job of explaining that. it is on firewall side of car but not coming from firewall.

It is actually coming from oil pan down on bottom of motor. 2 hoses. one is curved and connects via a nipple the other is straight and connects via a hard line. I guess to keep them from accidentally being installed wrong. they are both together side by side and they go right under the axle.

looks to be like this one here:

Volvo S70 Turbo Outlet Return Oil Cooler Hose-Buy Car Parts at FCP

and here

Volvo S70 Turbo Inlet Feed Oil Cooler Hose | Volvo Parts

I was able to get under and cut off the end that had the hole in it but after car heated up and pressure got to the hose it now is already cut and it looks like it will explode. the hose itself feels very soft and spongy.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:25 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think maybe there is a misunderstanding of the term "coolant" here. Coolant refers to a mixture of antifreeze and water or sometimes people just call the antifreeze portion "coolant". But the oil cooler is just oil going through a seperate heat exchanger (a "radiator", another way of stating that something "radiates " heat). So, the radiator cools the coolant, the heater core heats the inde of the car(and cools the coolant sightly), the the oil cooler cools the oil.
All that said, wipe this leaky liquid on your finger - is it green? Then it is coolant. Is it black or amber? Then it is oil.
Now S70 blow turbo cooler lines like Old Faithful. Sounds like yours.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The Volvo coolant is blue. I actually drained a car the other day that had some in it. Blue like Gatoraid.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by donf
I think maybe there is a misunderstanding of the term "coolant" here. Coolant refers to a mixture of antifreeze and water or sometimes people just call the antifreeze portion "coolant". But the oil cooler is just oil going through a seperate heat exchanger (a "radiator", another way of stating that something "radiates " heat). So, the radiator cools the coolant, the heater core heats the inde of the car(and cools the coolant sightly), the the oil cooler cools the oil.
All that said, wipe this leaky liquid on your finger - is it green? Then it is coolant. Is it black or amber? Then it is oil.
Now S70 blow turbo cooler lines like Old Faithful. Sounds like yours.

ok, its coolant...but its not blue its green. I dont use the blue...

and the hoses I pictured may not be right ones. its hard to look up the hose when I dont know what it is.

I am going to go to the dealer and see if he has a schematic and we can locate the hoses.

they come straight off oil pan at the fire wall side of motor. I pulled off the torn hose and lost about 1 gallon of coolant.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:40 AM

ok went to dealer and they dont have either hose in stock. it is the engine oil cooler hoses.

they can order but will cost me too much and take 7-10 days. what?! your kidding.

so I am going to order from fcp I guess. unless someone has better option.

well first I need to locate correct parts if the ones I listed were wrong which they may be.

right now all I can see is the bottom part of the hose. I am not sure what I am actually supposed to buy. I just know what they are now.

Attached Thumbnails coolant leak under car to the rear of engine?? what is it?-leaking-oil-cooler-hose-001.jpg   coolant leak under car to the rear of engine?? what is it?-leaking-oil-cooler-hose-002.jpg   coolant leak under car to the rear of engine?? what is it?-leaking-oil-cooler-hose-003.jpg  
Old 06-30-2013, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was happening to my s80 t6. Took it to a local mechanic and they bypassed the heater core. $120.00