Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Cylinder 01 Misfire Error Code after Timing Belt Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder 01 Misfire Error Code after Timing Belt Change

I had a timing belt and tensioner/pulley replaced after the pulley broke down on my 98 S70 with T5 engine. I had worries that the head could be damaged, because the camshaft pulleys were way off the marks. However, the engine started fine, compression was normal in all cylinders, (according to the tech who did the job). I drove perhaps 2 or 3 miles on the way home from the shop when “check engine” light came on. The error code is PO301 – “cylinder 01 misfire.” I also noticed that the car runs quite rough in idle. It is not stuttering, but the vibration is alarmingly higher than it used to be. But as I said, I don’t feel loss of power or vibration when driving. This makes me think that all 5 cylinders are working. The car has 129000 miles on it. I know the plugs have been chenged at 70K, but have no track aftyer that
How can I tell what is wrong? Is it bad plug, wire, coil, injector or the worst of all – the valve stem is bent? Thank you for your help.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:52 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Cylinder 01 Misfire Error Code after Timing Belt Change

If the belt or pulley broke I will bet you have a slightly bent Valve.
How old is the dist. cap and rotor and wires?

Old 10-10-2006, 11:14 PM

A guy who did the repair suspected bent valve as well. The wires and dstributor have never been changed. I wonder if it is worth to rebild the engine, or swap with another one from junk yard. I like mine, though. Despite 129K, it does not burn oil at all and ran (until now) like a rocket.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:21 PM
Administrator

Have the Head removed and inspected most of the time a new valve/valves can be installed and the head reinstalled.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:32 PM

Thank you Tech. I just wonder if I can drive the car for a while without further damage to the engine, until my second car (Forester) is out of the shop!

Old 10-10-2006, 11:42 PM
Administrator

A day or two should be fine.

If you don't mind me asking how do you like the Forester?
What is wrong with it?

Old 10-11-2006, 12:24 AM

I bought Forester this June (2000 model, 53000 miles) as a part of preparation of move to hilly Pittsburgh. I didn’t want SUV, but needed true 4x4 with satisfactory gas mileage and generous cargo space. So my choice was quite narrow. Quite honestly, I had more hassle with the car than I had expected, providing Subaru reliability record and the mileage of the car. I had already replaced front passenger axle, I need to take out protective shield under the engine, which became loose and produces nasty rattle and can only be cut off with torch (the tech told this is the only way). The front driver side wheel produces high pitch noise, almost ultrasound, that only goes away when I brake. Perhaps my case is special, because the car was maintained horribly by previous owner in downtown DC, but I got sold on the low price and mileage. So now we are in the shop because something makes it choking when I accelerate, just like if injector is clogged, it runs lean or misfiring. No error lights. The guy (same who did the Volvo) says all wires, plugs and something else need to be replaced.
What I love in this car is huge torque. It feels like army diesel truck. It is quite peppy and holds road very well, better than any other car I owned. something I appreciate very much in hilly, curved roads of western Pennsylavania. Gas mileage is great (it is manual). It is roomier than it appears. I think I would love it if not all these problems, which are probably due to the fact that car was never serviced.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:47 AM
Administrator

If you run into problems you can't get figured out let me know.
The Wife is a Subaru Service Writer. She might be able to talk to the Tech at her work.
Also have you been to this Forum?
http://nasioc.com/

If not check it out there might be a fix on there. That is a big site. The wife is also on there.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:56 AM

Thank You!

Old 10-11-2006, 01:12 AM
Administrator

Your Welcome anytime.