Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

ETM failing and DIY repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 03:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ETM failing and DIY repair

As the title says, I started to experience an ETM failure with the typical issues of the engine searching for ideal, limp home mode and amongst other things greatly reduced gas mileage. My car is a 1999 V70 base model. It has 210,000 miles on it and has been a very good car with reliability AND low cost maintenance since I do most of the work myself from help with this and other forums. I hope to get at least 300,000 miles on the car hopefully more.
Ok, no to the ETM problem. After thoroughly researching the issues on this site, it was clear that I had an ETM problem and COULD eventually have a MAF problem as well since the 2 are linked. I have no reason to believe the MAF sensor is a problem yet. The research I did pointed to either a new ETM or rebuilt/programmed unit. Until I found Xemodex as a recommendation in several forum entries. Their site is great and from what I read so are their products and customer service. It was just hard for me to spend $499 on an ETM when that is about 25% of the current value of my car. The problem with these ETMs is the mechanical nature of the sensor..its a brush over a carbon strip and after the mileage I have, its no wonder the darn thing wore out. After reading Xemodex’s site and the new magnetic sensor that is installed in the reburshing of the unit, I thought, hey, maybe I can do the repair on the unit myself…it was just a matter of find a source for the magnetic sensor. I did. ARD Tuning. I only saw this company briefly mentioned in my research but explored it and found that they can supply not only the repair kit but also clear and concise directions on how to install it all for $174 shipped with no reprogramming of the ETM necessary. Here is the link: http://www.ardideas.com/ you will have to search around their site for the 99 ETM Repair kit but its there and worth every penny and very easy to install.
Some notes:
1. To remove the ETM, you have to remove the starter bracket underneath. Not the whole starter but the bracket on the passenger side of the car – I think 3 bolts. Remove the bracket and you can then slide the ETM wiring harness out and then pull the ETM out fully.
2. Be sure to follow ARD instructions closely. Thoroughly remove all the original potting material so you can solder clearly and see you work. I didn’t repot the ETM but installed it first to check my soldering connections and found it wasn’t done well. I removed the ETM and checked and resoldered areas that needed it. I then, still didn’t repot and installed to check and it worked like a charm! I removed the ETM, repoted the affected areas with RVT Silicon and let it THOROUGHLY cure. Once THOROUGHLY cured, I sealed the ETM cover back on and then let that THOROUGHLY cure. Once all curred reinstalled not forgetting to reinstall the starter bracket.
Summary:
I am no electrician and have some skills as a mechanic but this was a very easy repair for both electronics AND mechanics. The car has regained its original power and gas mileage is back up around 31-32 mph. I, in no way, think of Xemodex in a negative light and like I said I believe their products are super but I just wanted to save money on a very old car and that is why I did the work myself and saved over $325 on this DIY repair.

The following users liked this post:
3kocur (11-20-2022)