Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo S70
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-13-2009, 08:13 PM
Banned

Default FUEL PUMP LOCATION,s70 4 door sedan

I know it,s in the rear passenger side somewheer under the carpet,but can I reach it from the back seat or from the inside the trunk,also how easy is it to replace.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:08 PM

It's in the trunk, behind the rear seat. Fold down the seat, take out the trunk carpet, and there's a little access panel. Remove the access panel, and you'll see the pump. unplug the wires from it, then go start the car and let it run until it dies. Then, crank the engine for 15-20 seconds. (this is to depressurize the fuel line) Remove the fuel lines from the pump- they use quick- connect fittings, you pull up on then from underneath to remove. Then, unscrew the plastic hold- down ring that holds the pump in place. Remove old pump and gasket, install new pump and gasket, screw the retaining ring back down, push the fuel lines back on, plug it in, cover it up, then change the fuel filter. Then, before starting the car, turn the key to the on position, wait 3 seconds, turn it off, back on, wait 3 seconds, and repeat 2 more times, in order to refill the fuel lines. Start engine, test drive, then go drink a beer.
'93 Volvo 940 Turbo wagon, 141k miles- Workhorse/ toolbox.
'88 Mercedes 190E 2.3- bought to fix up and sell, but I kinda like the little old beast, so I'm holding on to it for a little while.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:01 AM
Banned

Do I NEED to replace the filter it,s less then a year old.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:09 PM

Probably not. I always mention it, because day in, day out, I deal with cars that are 10+ years old with over 100,000 or even 200,000 miles on them that have the original fuel filter on them, and it's my firm belief that if people would change their fuel filters as per the manufacturer's schedule, aftermarket fuel pump manufacturers would go out of business. But if you've replaced yours recently, it's probably not necessary again.
'93 Volvo 940 Turbo wagon, 141k miles- Workhorse/ toolbox.
'88 Mercedes 190E 2.3- bought to fix up and sell, but I kinda like the little old beast, so I'm holding on to it for a little while.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:41 PM

Hello, I'm new to this fourm and this post is old, but I hope I can still get an answer.
My 1998 Volvo S70 needs a fuel pump. I'm pretty certain its the fuel pump, I changed the filter about 6 months ago. I have the cover off in the trunk and can see everything as described. The issue is two fold..first, that ring is on there for ever. Any tips on getting that thing loose? Secondly, on my pump there is a two wire plastic connector. It is attached to the fuel pump with wires leading into the trunk. What is this, and any tips on getting it loose? It's covered in a gummy type substance. Thank you!
Old 10-14-2012, 08:41 PM

Tags
1998, 1999, 850, 94, 98, change, changing, filter, fuel, key, location, pump, replace, replacement, s70, volvo