Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

how to tell if heater core is leaking? why doesnt my radio reset after 3hrs?

Old 05-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default how to tell if heater core is leaking? why doesnt my radio reset after 3hrs?

Problem 1 . I smell some coolant when the heat is going. I pulled back the carpet on passenger side and didnt see any water. will check deeper when I have more time.

if I pull the panels off the sides of the center column and expose the core should I see the leak then?

problem #2

I left my key in ignition and swith on #1 with power on and i left it like that at least 3 hrs.

do I really need to have it like that for 4 hours?? really? that is so stupid.

I really want to get this radio on so I dont hear my dash squeak and rattle.

I just got this and I havnt had more than 1hr in it so I am really new with it. havnt had to time to do much with it.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater Core

The coolant smell from the air vents is one big sign of a heater core leak. Another symptom is a greasy film/fog on the interior of your windshield.

Make sure you keep a close eye on your coolant level as it can drop very quickly with a leak at the heater core. I speak from experience as my C-70 is in the shop today getting the heater core replaced due to a massive leak. Despite the severity of my leak, there was no spillage into the cabin.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:12 PM

checked my coolant level it was fine but I am going to keep an eye on it. I might pick up a core this week at boneyard.

didnt notice a film or fog on the windshield. other than normal since it was raining today

Old 05-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How to tell if your heater core is leaking... hmm. Go around to the back of the car. Does it say "Volvo S70/ V70/ 850?" Is it older than 10 years? Then yes... your heater core is leaking.

In all seriousness, if you're smelling coolant inside the car, it's probably beginning to leak. It's probably just throwing out a bit of steam, but it will soon turn to a drip. Fortunately, it's very easy to change. There's a write- up in the Volvo 850 forum- the S70 is the same, aside from the trim covers on the center console. Make sure to get new o-rings, and I recommend a Behr heater core. This is what FCPgroton sells. DON'T bother with a used core, because it will leak too in short order. See the first part of this post. As for the radio, if the display shows "CODE," you need the code. if the display says "OFF" when the radio is powered and turned on, you need to leave the key in the I or II position and the radio powered on until the display shows "CODE." Then, you can enter the code. You get 2 tries until the radio locks itself out again, and you have to go through the wait sequence. If you don't have the correct code, remove the radio and call the dealer parts department. Most will give you the code over the phone.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chertling
The coolant smell from the air vents is one big sign of a heater core leak. Another symptom is a greasy film/fog on the interior of your windshield.

Make sure you keep a close eye on your coolant level as it can drop very quickly with a leak at the heater core. I speak from experience as my C-70 is in the shop today getting the heater core replaced due to a massive leak. Despite the severity of my leak, there was no spillage into the cabin.
Pull up the carpets, both front and back, all the way down to the bottom of the floor pan. I'll bet it's full of coolant down there. You usually don't notice any wetness on the carpet, because the heater core leaks such that the coolant leaks UNDER the carpet, and the carpet has a waterproof rubber backing. Thus, the coolant just sits under the carpet, and gets absorbed by the soundproofing. The only way to completely eliminate it is to totally remove the carpeting, then use a shop vac to suck it up. Rinse out the foam soundproofing pad with water, and allow it to dry. But what most folks do is this: pull up the front and rear sections of carpet, use a shop- vac to remove as much liquid as possible, then pull out the rubber stoppers from the floor. When all the coolant leaks out, replace the stoppers, put back the carpet, and let it go. Or, as long as it doesn't smell, leave it in there. Coolant has corrosion inhbitors, so it won't cause the floor to rust out, and it'll never soak through the carpeting due to the rubber backing.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

RADIO CODE: You can usually find the code in the glovebox somewhere. I have decided to write mine in the pass side visor mirror. Hopefully that will start a trend. You get 3 tries, a 3rd bad try will lock the radio for 2 hours. If I mess it up I usually just drive around until it gives me a reset, not drive for the reset, just normal driving and usually in a couple of days it will let me try again.
https://www.customers.volvocars.com/..._155.htm#pg155

Old 05-03-2011, 07:21 AM

I got the radio to work last night. I had to let car sit for 3hrs but when I checked before bed it was ready to take my code which I had. its working fine.

as for the carpet. yes I know its rubber backed. I pulled it up and looked under but not all the way to the seat.

I plan to order a new core asap. and replace it unless I find a reciept of it already being changed.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrots
Pull up the carpets, both front and back, all the way down to the bottom of the floor pan. I'll bet it's full of coolant down there. You usually don't notice any wetness on the carpet, because the heater core leaks such that the coolant leaks UNDER the carpet, and the carpet has a waterproof rubber backing. Thus, the coolant just sits under the carpet, and gets absorbed by the soundproofing.
Sure enough... I had a lake of coolant under my carpet

Old 05-04-2011, 06:35 AM

heater core ordered.