Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo S70
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-01-2010, 11:53 AM

Send a message via MSN to djdee
Default how to turn up via the actuator.

does any1 no how many turns to up the boost on a s70 2.4 t5,i've given 2 turns an not noticed much diff,can any1 help cheers

Last edited by djdee; 02-01-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdee View Post
does any1 no how many turns to up the boost on a s70 2.4 t5,i've given 2 turns an not noticed much diff,can any1 help cheers
If you have a T5 then you have a 2.3 liter engine not a 2.4. I believe you're talking about wastegate actuator rod adjustment. Here's a link to some info on this subject from Swedespeed.
http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=103642

Last edited by simul8guy; 02-01-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator
1999 Volvo S70

1. Do you have a real boost gauge hooked up? One that can read In Hg (Vaccum) / Boost (PSI)?

If not I highly suggest you get one before you mess with the wastegate actuator.

2. Are you sure you turned it the right way?

3. One bit of advice here. Messing with the Wastegate Actuator while many people do it on other brands of cars and others do it on Volvo's it is not the best option to raise the boost on your car. Infact it is quite dangerous. Especially if you don't have a real boost gauge hooked up. Why? Because you could turn it up higher then the turbo can handle and poof there goes the turbo and you bet there might be soke bent rods or some pistons flying through your hood. This is why you want a real boost gauge so you know what kind of boost your making with each turn.

4. If you have to do it this way may I suggest a better option, but still not the BEST option. Hook up a MBC (Manual Boost Controller) and get a real boost gauge hooked up as well if you don't already. You can purchase MBC's for $30+ dollars. I personally wouldn't recommend going this route or the route you have already tried taken. And if you do go with a MBC I suggest getting a dual stage version. You spend more but you'll have more options to play around with.

5. The BEST option around is to get your ECU remapped, chipped, flashed. Whatever you want to call it... IPD USA, RICA, BSR PPC these are the three best tunes on the market. Also the three most expensive. $600+. But they are the best and most researched and developed tunes on the market for Volvo's.

SpeedTuning USA, InMotion and Upsolute make cheaper tunes. While these tunes do work, they usually make you run RICH. Which isn't good. They are less researched and developed as well. And the owner of SpeedTuning USA isn't pleasant to deal with. These tunes will run you anywhere from $200-$425 about.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:18 PM

Send a message via MSN to djdee

Cheers ppl,i gave the actuator 2 turns bk,shortened the thread an there is some diff in pick up but not much> thanks to all for your reply,an yes next job is boost gage deffo need1 cheers ppl...
Old 11-19-2011, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator
1995 Volvo 850
My Garage

This is IPDs video and about halfway through it shows you how to adjust the wastegate. You need to know what PSI to set it at as the different years will have different PSI values.

turbo101 - YouTube
Old 11-19-2011, 03:02 PM

Tags
850, actuator, adjust, adjustment, boost, forums, gauge, repair, rod, s40, s60, turbo, turn, volvo, wastegate